Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-24-2008, 10:38 PM   #1
idigchaitea
Registered Users
seller

Weaning at 12 months

Just looking for some tips on weaning! He is 10 months now and I'm not sure how long it will take. I'd like him to be weaned by the time he turns 1. I really do not know a lot about this because this is my first baby and I'm so glad we made it a year! However, I am ready to stop at 1 year. He still wakes up a few times a night and I nurse him back to sleep though, and I'm okay with continuing this for a little while after his first birthday. Does anyone have any tips that would help me?? Thanks!!!

Advertisement

*28 year old mama to Josiah Liam, born 05.19.2007, Jonas Elliot, my dove in heaven, stillborn at 40 weeks 03.12.2009* www.jonaselliot.blogspot.com , and my rainbow baby Julien Reese 11.04.2010 *Married to Zac 06.11.2005*
idigchaitea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:42 PM   #2
KatieJD334
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Weaning at 12 months

What are your reasons for wanting to wean at one year? The majority of breastfeeding resources recommend breastfeeding at least for one year, and a minimum of two years to reach the maximum benefit.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:43 PM   #3
b'smom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Does he take a sippy cup? You can start giving him one of his feeds a day (whatever is the most inconvenient to bf) in a sippy. Drop a feed this way every couple of weeks. Don't do it too fast. Once your down to bfing only during the night, just play it by ear. He may stop on his own once the daytime feeds have been gone a while.
b'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:45 PM   #4
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Good job for making it to a year (or almost anyway). That is a great accomplishment.

I weaned DD at 15 months, she wasn't nursing much at that point. Mostly 1-2 times a day and never at night really.

So, it was easy for us because we weren't nursing much. I just offered her the sippy cup (which she had for a few months prior to weaning anyway). It didn't take long, and she never really asked but maybe once or twice.

I can't be of more help, because it was so easy for us.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:08 PM   #5
Mags462
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I personally started weaning DS 1 right around the 10 month mark as well and he was fully weaned by 13 months. I hated the idea of getting him hooked on a bottle, so i never offered one as an alternate to nursing... he was weaned straight onto a hard nippled sippy cup (i was afraid he would chew the soft nippled ones up and i'd spend a fortune continually replacing them!).

At 10 months my LO was basically nursing 4 to 5 times a day and 2 or 3 times a night. I chose the feeding i felt he "needed" the least (eg not the nursing sessions before sleeping, but the quick snack nursing in the late afternoon) and when i could tell he was getting a ready to want to nurse i would offer him his sippy with breastmilk i had in the freezer. I would hold and snuggle with him much like if i were nursing him and just let him drink the sippy. At first he was like "Heck no...." and i never refused a nursing should he "demand" it, but i just kept offering the cup and after about 3 days he started taking it. Once he took to the cup, i waited two weeks, and then picked another feeding time to slip in the cup instead of nursing. I did it slowly and always let him adjust for at least two weeks before cutting out another nursing session.

By the one year mark, he was drinking cow's milk instead of breastmilk and the last feeding to go was the one right before bedtime. By that point though he had figured out he could get what he wanted much faster via the cup and when i offered the sippy instead of nursing he never looked back. Once the cow's milk replaced the breastmilk it made him more full and he slept through the night... hence i never had to night wean him.

Overall it was way less traumatic than i was anticipating. I know this was a long post but i remember how nervous i was with DS 1 about the whole weaning thing. Good luck to you, and i hope this helped!
Old 03-25-2008, 06:02 PM   #6
question
Registered Users
seller

By that point both of my kids were only nursing when they woke up in the morning, when they woke up from their 2 naps and at bedtime. So, 4 times a day.

I dropped the nap time feedings first by giving them a snack/ sippy when they woke up instead of nursing. A few weeks later I dropped the 2nd nap feeding the same way. The morning was the next to go -- I just took them to the kitchen for breakfast instead. Bedtime was the last to go for both. It was gone by 12 months for my son and 15 months for my daughter.

Good luck and congrats for making it to a year!
question is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:49 PM   #7
pbjmama
Registered Users

A few things - how long it will take depends on how many times he is nursing a day and how attached he is to nursing. You will need to supplement with something else, most sources will recommend formula, if you cut nursing sessions before a year. When you are ready to start I would do one session at a time over a couple of weeks, the least to most important. Cutting back slowly will be good for both of you, it lets your body adjust the amount of milk you are making so you don't get an infection. Be ready to offer other snacks and drinks as well as distractions. Good luck.
pbjmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:45 PM   #8
LiveGreenCreations
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Great job, a year is a huge milestone. Your baby has much benefited.

I think morre solids and sippee's should help, IDK, I do child lead weaning, but I hope you find the answers your looking for.
LiveGreenCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:55 PM   #9
idigchaitea
Registered Users
seller

Thank you all for your help and encouragement! It has helped a lot. I expected a lot more discouragement for my choice to wean at 12 months, so I am pleasantly surprised...I feel better now that I know some tips.
*28 year old mama to Josiah Liam, born 05.19.2007, Jonas Elliot, my dove in heaven, stillborn at 40 weeks 03.12.2009* www.jonaselliot.blogspot.com , and my rainbow baby Julien Reese 11.04.2010 *Married to Zac 06.11.2005*
idigchaitea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:34 AM   #10
Lisonh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did pretty much the same thing as Mags462 . Other than , I put water down juice in the cup , I didn't want to upset him with my milk . I also took him for a stroller ride at first to try to distract him from the feeding for about 20min. I dont know if it worked or not but that's what i did . My the age of one he was weaned also . I think it's super great that would made till hes one . You don't see that much anymore . congradulations !!!
Wife to John IV , SAHM to John V 10 yrs old , Louis-Philippe 4 yrs old and Naomi Rae Soleil 12/01/2008 http://swagbucks.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=358135http://www.youdata.com/join/lisonh My ISO list http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...8#post11707288
Lisonh is offline   Reply With Quote