Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-25-2008, 11:54 PM   #91
MamaOf3Cuties
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: i just want to ask...why only when its medical?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae View Post
Well, what if you bottle feed and break your wrists and can't shake a bottle?

There are always what ifs and alternate scenarios.

ETA: Also, at least every where that I've lived. If it was an emergency, there are ERs, quick cares, and urgent cares all around us.
:lol: I had to giggle at this. You really are amusing. As a mom that had to ff I was able to hold a baby in one hand and make a bottle in the other. As a nursing mother bf'ing is easier with this child, but it was a nightmare for my sister who had ppdd which led to suicidal ideation as well as severely inverted nipples. To each his own.

Advertisement

Old 02-25-2008, 11:55 PM   #92
ashleykaymay
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae View Post
You didn't say it, but hell, why not imply it?

You said:

With that thinking, it would be smart to have a can of formula around at all times, just in case. And since lots of young babies don't easily take bottles while BFing, gotta get them used to that too.
ok umm...that is not what i meant. you read into that way too much. i just meant, i have heard stories about supplies dropping and a mama having to go get formula. if it was only avaliable by prescreption then it would be a lot harder for that mama to get, YKWIM? please, i am not trying to cause drama with that statement...it was just my thinking that maybe that makes it WAY too hard to get.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:59 PM   #93
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes, to each his own. This is my point. There are hundreds of scenarios. People with closed and open minds. Sometimes, there's no rhyme or reason.

I'm secure enough in MY choice to not care what people say to me. I don't care about the people that point and stare at me as I walk through the store grocery shopping and nursing. I don't care about the stewardess offering me a blanket so I can BF "comfortably." They're all morons, IMO.

There's implications that saying Breast is best or formula is inferior is bashing. Someone got upset because someone else won't go down a formula aisle, implying they too should be ashamed for formula feeding. There are implications that anyone who's considered the "by prescription" idea sees only black and white. Usually, it's not me. Because I think it's stupid to "imply" something and get upset by it.

Can we just let this go now? Please?

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:04 AM   #94
ashleykaymay
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i didn't know something was going...i thought we were just having a discussion honestly. i mean it started heated but i thought it calmed down. maybe that was just me though....

and btw, i am secure enough too. just because i defend formula feeding doesn't mean i am not. my son is at least 3 months ahead of his age group, has been sick twice in one year, and is just perfect (never said anyone said he wasn't....just saying that he is because i am proud of how he has been growing).

now back to the orginal question ladies! and to all the nice posts that were happening!!! which by the way, thanks for all the hugs everyone!

Last edited by ashleykaymay; 02-26-2008 at 12:05 AM.
ashleykaymay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:30 AM   #95
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As it's already been said your situation, OP, is medical

Dont ever let an outsider make you feel badly for anything. If you're confident in your choices thats all that matters. People on this board (or anywhere else) can't make the pain you had/have better. Only you can do that and I am pleased to see you are doing better and plan to BF the next one.

That's all I am going to say (for now )
Old 02-26-2008, 01:41 AM   #96
zosiasmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

To Ash, there must be grey areas just liek everything else in this world.

To those of you who think that the answer is to make formula less available, well that is just silly. What will that accomplish?

I live in a country where 95% of mothers BF. Why is this? Well the answer is not that formula is available by prescription. That is just silly. But rather that it is the norm and every nurse in trained to help mothers learn to BF. Medical personel have the proper training to help women be successful. And breast are generally not seen as sexual objects first like in the states. those are the things that need to be tackled int eh states to bring the success rate up. Thinking that making formula less available is very naive and an extremely silly answer to a much more complicated problem.

Want to know about making money with ChaCha? Ask me!
I made $350 last month!Hits4Pay Want some Moola?
zosiasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:09 AM   #97
sbolen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zosiasmama View Post
To Ash, there must be grey areas just liek everything else in this world.

To those of you who think that the answer is to make formula less available, well that is just silly. What will that accomplish?

I live in a country where 95% of mothers BF. Why is this? Well the answer is not that formula is available by prescription. That is just silly. But rather that it is the norm and every nurse in trained to help mothers learn to BF. Medical personel have the proper training to help women be successful. And breast are generally not seen as sexual objects first like in the states. those are the things that need to be tackled int eh states to bring the success rate up. Thinking that making formula less available is very naive and an extremely silly answer to a much more complicated problem.
I agree with Danni on this. I don't think formula needs to be locked up. I think its much deeper than that. For some reason, the US always thinks that if they make a law against something, it will be fixed (like...the war on drugs perhaps?). Its not that simple.
I would not have been able to breastfeed had I not spent a whopping $200 in cash on a wonderful Lactation Consultant. I didn't have the money, but I found it. I don't think all people have that at their disposal. The lactation consultants at my hospital were not good at all.

I agree that the reason that the US has low BF rates is because of the way that Americans view BFing, the lack of low-cost or free support, the idealization that boobs are for sex and not for food, and many others. Until we solve these issues, the problem will not go away.

I'm really sad that this thread turned so mean. And please don't bash OnlyGirl. She's one of the most level headed and open minded posters on this board. And its really not nice to tell someone to P1$$ off. That was very rude.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:24 AM   #98
xois
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i'm going to try to say this as sensitivetly as possible

FF should not be a choice, but a necessity...to the OP, your circumstance seems to be to have been a necessitiy.

BF does so much good for our babies and a woman should really not be abel to "just do formula" because she doesn't want to be bothered...its hard, I know...it's not easy...but the alternative is damaging.

Formula companies have won the PR war and our society is paying the price

obesity is on the rise, asthma, more kids with ADHD, allergies, diabetes...we are short changing our children.

I know in our "society of choice" this is unpopular. I'm not interested in hearing how healthy your FF kid is (that's GREAT! You've dodged a bullet!!)

There are going to be BF children who get sick with ashtma, ear infections etc, and forumla fed kids who don't. But the SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE is overwhelming when it comes to IQ, illness, cognitive ability, and overall health that BF is superior. Please know that your anecdotal evidence doesn't erease the REAMS of scientific study that say otherwise

That said, this post is not meant to make any feel guilty for FF. This is just my take on it.

It's become too easy to NOT BF.

Moms, especially working moms, are not given the support they need to start and continue to breastfeed in the US. This is probably the biggest problem. Why am I the ONLY NURSING MUM in my daycare center?

at the risk of sounding like a conspiracy nut, the folks who make the money on our sick kids have NO INTEREST in supporting you BF.

I'd love to get a coupon at the grocery store for 3 fresh apples for me to eat or to make my own food for my kid...bu instead...i always get a forumla coupon...

what are our real values as a society?

I think of forumal feeding in the same way I think of abortion...SAFE LEGAL AND RARE (no I'm not equating feeding forumla to your baby with having an abortion). They need to be available and safe but not promoted as an alternative. Does this make sense? Or am I coming across as an *******?

ETA: I am currently BF a preemie born at 33 weeks who started on pacis and bottles first. I work full time and pump 3x a day. I also suffered sexual abuse as a child and young adult. Not calling anyone out...just being totally upfront about my own story.

Last edited by xois; 02-26-2008 at 08:27 AM.
xois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:34 AM   #99
sbolen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xois View Post
i'm going to try to say this as sensitivetly as possible

FF should not be a choice, but a necessity...to the OP, your circumstance seems to be to have been a necessitiy.

BF does so much good for our babies and a woman should really not be abel to "just do formula" because she doesn't want to be bothered...its hard, I know...it's not easy...but the alternative is damaging.

Formula companies have won the PR war and our society is paying the price

Moms, especially working moms, are not given the support they need to start and continue to breastfeed in the US. This is probably the biggest problem. Why am I the ONLY NURSING MUM in my daycare center?

at the risk of sounding like a conspiracy nut, the folks who make the money on our sick kids have NO INTEREST in supporting you BF.

I think of forumal feeding in the same way I think of abortion...SAFE LEGAL AND RARE (no I'm not equating feeding forumla to your baby with having an abortion). They need to be available and safe but not promoted as an alternative. Does this make sense? Or am I coming across as an *******?

I agree with all of this, and I'm really sad that someone is going to take it the wrong way and flame you on it.

I work full time as well and pump 3x a day. Its really hard. If the US had maternity leave like in Europe, I wouldn't be in this position.

Last edited by sbolen; 02-26-2008 at 08:35 AM.
sbolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:45 AM   #100
xois
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbolen View Post

I work full time as well and pump 3x a day. Its really hard. If the US had maternity leave like in Europe, I wouldn't be in this position.
yes...it's really hard. it's too bad.