Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #1
xois
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
pumped milk increasing strategies

Here is my senario

I pump 3 x a day. 9am, 2pm and 3 hours after emerson goes down for the night

I get about 9oz a day which is exactally enough for her 3 daily bottles at daycare

I nurse at 11am and then on demand evenings, weekends and anytime I with her

during weekends, I pump after she goes to sleep

I would like to get more pumped milk put aside

any ideas?

I nkow I have enough for her to eat...it's just getting it OUT with my pump

I have a PIS advanced and a medela lactina

Advertisement

Old 02-25-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
JenniferJ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: pumped milk increasing strategies

I have the same issue. I also pump 3xs a day. LOL about the same times you do too, 10am and 2:30pm then one right when we get home from picking DS from the sitters at 6pm! I produce just enough to give hiome the 13oz he eats at the sitters. But when he goes through a growth spirt I am pumping twice at home. I also know that he gets enough. Boy does he at 17pds 27" at 21 weeks!

Keep it up mama. I was told that some mamas don't work well expressing milk with a pump. I have a Medela pump in style. I find that I always need up-to-date pics of my DS in my bag to help things. Eating oatmeal everyday has helped too, or that could be a mental thing. Sometimes I feel as if my body is hording the milk for when I get home with my DS!
I will keep looking into this thread to see all the advise you get, I hope it's alot!

Good luck!

Mamma to two wonderful kids;
Jessica, 16 and Nicolas, 3 yrs
JenniferJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
sparkynfiesty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am looking for ways to increase my pumping supply too. Right now we have no set schedule for it because I am with her 24/7. I only have about 8 oz frozen and dh bought me concert tickets for valentines day so I need to get more milk stored for her. I can feed her all day everyday, but I am having very little luck pumping. I only get 2-3 oz when I pump. I have a hard time finding quiet time to pump because my house is constant chaos with all the kiddo's. When I do have a few minutes I need to get the most out as possible as quick as possible before disaster strikes somewhere. I am hoping we all get stellar advice on this!
sparkynfiesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:42 AM   #4
JenniferJ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Try pumping before you feed, if you can. that is what I try to do when I get home everyday from picking DS from the sitter. Granted I have my DF and 14yr old daughter to help watch DS while I pump.
He is ussually hungry when we get home but I know if he eat first then I won't pump anything. He is able to get a feeding out even when I pump first and feed right after. I get LD too.

HTH

Mamma to two wonderful kids;
Jessica, 16 and Nicolas, 3 yrs
JenniferJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:45 AM   #5
SMKelley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Try the Whisper pump! I can be worn under your clothing so you can pump more often throughout the day without actually taking breaks.

http://www.lactationconnection.com/whisper_wear.asp

DO NOT SELL TO ME!

Last edited by SMKelley; 02-26-2008 at 10:46 AM.
SMKelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:37 PM   #6
odentonmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Are there any nursing sessions where you could pump on one side while you nurse on the other? This helps with let-down. It may sound cumbersome, but if you nurse DD in the football hold, you can probably do it to get a little extra stash built up.

Also, pumping hands-free helps a lot of mamas get more milk. You can buy a pumping band or do a hands-free thing like this: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/h...e-pumping.html

I always get more milk when I surf the net and relax.

A few other things to try:
check your pump shields to make sure they are big enough
drink a warm beverage
lubricate the shields with a little olive oil
Help Keep Dr. Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Clinic open, click here for info & to donate.
odentonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:14 PM   #7
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferJ View Post
Try pumping before you feed, if you can. that is what I try to do when I get home everyday from picking DS from the sitter. Granted I have my DF and 14yr old daughter to help watch DS while I pump.
He is ussually hungry when we get home but I know if he eat first then I won't pump anything. He is able to get a feeding out even when I pump first and feed right after. I get LD too.

HTH
This is what I'm doing right now. I come home from work (especially on the days I only get one mid day pump session in!) and I sit right down and pump - Laura is currently sitting in her highchair next to me waiting for me to finish up so she can eat her dinner.

I also notice that Mondays I have less than Fridays. i always say I need to pump on the weekends, but there is just something so liberating about coming home Friday afternoon and putting the pump away for a couple days! I also believe in the oatmeal. i didn't have any for the weekend (and that along with not pumping!) ... I ended up with just enough for one bottle when I pumped yesterday! Ooops. So, I had oatmeal for dinner last night and again for breakfast this morning.

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:05 AM   #8
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Personally, I would pump after I nursed. When DS was in the nicu, thats what the nurses told my to do to bring my supply up. Even if nothing came out, just for the stimulation.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:54 AM   #9
tarah1218
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkaK View Post
Personally, I would pump after I nursed. When DS was in the nicu, thats what the nurses told my to do to bring my supply up. Even if nothing came out, just for the stimulation.
I was told the same but when I was pumping, I was told to pump for 10 min. after the milk had stopped. Have you tried fenugeek or mothers milk tea?
Old 02-27-2008, 12:59 PM   #10
pmills4
Registered Users

Just a few things that can help to increase milk supply. Fenugreek, Organic mothers milk (its a tea that you drink 3-5 times a day) Oatmeal....it does work, & camomille tea. These are all things which I have to do right now since I can only nurse my DD when I am able to go and see her. But she only gets breast milk so I pump several times a day so that she does not have to get formula at the hospital.
pmills4 is offline   Reply With Quote