Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2006, 07:23 PM   #11
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Birth plans

wow there's stuff on these two plans that i didn't know i would have to be specific about!! i didn't know they gave a shot of pitocin to help deliver the placenta!!!

Advertisement

myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:11 PM   #12
MammaGehl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, they do... and in fact I ended up getting it Our hospital was so great that we never ended up giving them a copy of our birth plan... they never gave us any trouble with any of our requests. I went through labor and delivery totally med free and while I was busy staring at my son the nurse (that we LOVED) hooked me up to the pitocin ... doh! she was just so accustomed to doing it I guess... oh well. she kept telling us how much she loved being our nurse, we were only the 3rd natural birth that she had ever seen in six years in the LRD! so I didn't hold the pitocin against her
Old 05-04-2006, 09:08 PM   #13
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That's why I said it's a good idea to talk to your caregiver and the hospital about what their "standard procedures" are before finalizing your birth plan...so that you know what to expect. And I agree with the PP who said that you want to keep it short and sweet and only put in the things that are REALLY important to you. You can imagine how you'd feel as an L&D nurse (or an OB or MW) if a patient came in giving you orders about how things will be done. Now, if you're like me, everything is REALLY important and must be done my way...so we'll have to see how that plays out! I want to keep it simple, but I'm also building some room to negotiate because I know my MW is hard headed (like me). For example, I know she will not agree to not giving an IV or hep lock. We've already talked about it...she insists on at least the hep lock so that she has access to a vein if she needs it. She's not going to budge on that one. She'd rather have an IV running "just in case" and I'd rather have nothing...but I know we'll meet in the middle and go with the hep lock.
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:20 PM   #14
Luv2bemommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Here is my birthing plan.. I think I know way to much and I shouldnt write one.. lmao

Birth Preferences for Candice

NOTE: This birth plan is intended to express the preference and desires we have for the
birth of our baby. It is not intended as a script. We fully realize that situations
may arise such that our plan cannot and should not be followed. However, we hope that
barring any extenuating circumstances, you will be able to guide us toward the birth
experience we desire.

This will be the birth of our third child, our previous children both went to 42 weeks and went in for an induction, both times was a success and was able to delivery vaginally with little tearing(both times did require stitches). I do understand if I am induced again, I will have to have an IV and have continuous monitoring. Also, with my other inductions I was induced with both cervidil and pitocin, again if I have to be induced I would like to follow the same routine and not to break my water until labor is established. I would also like to labor as long as I need to without having to worry about a c-section. I do understand sometimes c-sections are necessary but I would like to labor without having a time limit if possible. Thank you for taking the time to look over my birthing plan and I look forward to another wonderful birthing expierence at blah blah hospital.

**During Labor I would like to:

Move around as much as possible including using a birthing ball, a squatting bar or whatever feels comfortable at the moment.

Have a semi-quiet, dim lit room.

Have video/photographs taken when support persons wish(during both labor and delivery).

Be able to listen to headphones whenever I wish.

Be able to drink water and/or eat ice chips when I wish.

Avoid an enema or shaving of pubic hair.

**Pain Relief Options:

I would like to decrease pain with the following options only:

Frequent position changes (if possible)

Breathing Techniques and relaxation exercises (Bradley Method)

Massages done by my Husband

Hot/Cold therapy (I found during my last two labors hot compresses on the lower back worked great)

As far as Medication options PLEASE DO NOT offer any pain medications unless I request them.. I would like to have as much of a natural birth as possible.

**Pushing and Delivery:

I would like to push when I feel the urge, any position I feel comfortable in, but I do not want to push laying flat on my back, if at all possible.. (I do understand if I am induced positions are limited)

I DO NOT wish to have an episiotomy performed. I would prefer, if it came to it, to tear than to be cut, since research has shown that "natural" tears heal more quickly and with less pain than episiotomies. One possible exception to this is "buttonholing", where a cut would be performed to direct 3rd degree tearing away from the anus and rectum; or situations of severe fetal distress, where the baby needs to come out extremely quickly.. I would like to not tear at all and I have read that perineal massages, warm compresses, manual support of the perineum and slow controlled pushing can help in that, so I prefer those options if necessary.

My husband (Kevin ) would like to cut the cord if possible..

I would like to see the placenta after delivery.

I prefer skin to skin contact with the baby immediately after delivery if my child is in good health.

I would like footprints placed in my child's baby book.

**Unanticipated C-Section:

I would like for the OB to explain to us why they feel the need for a c-section and give us other options if possible and to only preform it after the approval of either my husband or myself.

If for any reason I have to have a C-section I would like an epidural or spinal for anesthesia..

I would like for my husband (Kevin) to be in the operating room with me at all times.

If my child is not in any distress after delivery I want my husband to be able to hold him, and I would also like to hold my child if possible..

I would like for my husband to be able to take pictures or video if possible.

If it comes to a c-section I would like to be cut to where I can possibly give birth vaginally later with another pregnancy..

**Feeding Preferences and Postpartum:

I would like to breastfeed our child as soon as possible, hopefully within the first hour of delivery..

Please do NOT give our child any supplements such as a bottle(water or formula) or pacifier.

I would also like to have help from nurses as well as a Lactation Consultant during my hospital stay.

I plan to have "rooming-in" with minimal separation from my child. My husband will also be staying with me during my stay at blah..

Our child's pediatrician is blah blah.

Thank you again for taking the time to look over our birthing plan..

Last edited by Luv2bemommy; 05-04-2006 at 09:22 PM.
Luv2bemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 06:48 AM   #15
MistyP
Registered Users
seller

I am a L&D nurse andI must admit, some birth plans we get are rather funny in the sad sense that the mother just printed something off the internet that sounded good to her at the time. We have a great L&D department with mostly midwives there during the week. Most things on the birth plans are stuff we wouldn't do anyway, which is what makes is sadly funny because it is very clear that the mother did not talk with her health care provider about her birth plan, like enemas, shaving the perineum, we always do skin to skin contact after birth unless something major, or they say they want Demerol for pain relief which is hardly ever used during labor anymore. We have all roomin-in except for the NICU. No doctor anywhere can preform a c-section without the patient's consent!! So, if you have unanswered questions, don't sign the papers!!!

However, I have worked in another hospital where things were not so nice.

I have noticed on these 2 birthplans that you did not want the vernix wiped off, do you not want to have the baby bathed after birth?? Because you can't really have a bath without taking the vernix off. Just a thought to add to your plan. Also pitocin through your IV or a shot is routine after delivery. If you think that you do not want that, then please talk with your midwife/OB BEFORE labor, and also while in labor to avoid that. Most of the ones I work with want it to decrease bleeding.

Make your birthplan short and sweet. Make sure your partner understands your plan. Be prepared for labor!!! I hate it when a patient says "no pain meds, no epidurals," and is screaming at 2-3 cm from the contractions and the father is like"can't you do something, she isn't suppose to bein pain like this" We had a first time mom a few weeks ago that READ the bradley book so she thought she was prepared......She also signed up for a epidural and requested a doctor deliver her baby rather than a midwife
Take a MIDWIFE anytime, okay!!

Sorry this is so long, all of this being said, I am planning on a homebirth with a great midwife!
MistyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 07:04 AM   #16
MammaGehl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we waited quite a while before Jack was bathed.... but the vernix note was for the first few minutes while I was holding him and the nurse was trying to rub him clean of it - we wanted it rubbed it into his skin instead, a nice natural cold cream
Old 05-05-2006, 08:20 AM   #17
zonapellucida
Registered Users
seller

Location: Diligently working on getting out of the hellish state of FL
My Mood:

I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad I am birthing at home. My midwife has a "hands off" approach.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:08 AM   #18
SarieQ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For those of you ladies in the know...I have a couple questions.

I live in Florida. I had our first child last July at the Crestview hospital. I'm wondering just what things I can refuse...it REALLY bothered me that I wasn't 'allowed' to drink water and could only have ice chips. Absolutely incensing. Am I allowed to drink water? What is the meaning of the word 'allowed' in that sentence? The IV also really bothered me too. Am I allowed to refuse it?

What annoyances are mandatory, and what annoyances do they just like to pretend are mandatory?
SarieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 05:41 PM   #19
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

i'm kinda curious about the drinking fluids thing too, i was allowed to have water and juice and popsicles while i was in labor at memorial hospital in CO. this time i will be delivering at denton regional in TX. and i've heard a lot of hospitals don't allow any fluids but ice chips and this is just insane! and what about eating anything, is it really necessary that we eat NOTHING during labor?
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 06:06 PM   #20
MSweeten
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well I'm pretty happy with everything I've heard/ been told about my hospital-and don't have a written down birth plan, maybe I should.....I've some ideas about what I want, but at the same time want to be flexible.....having never done this before.

Not sure about fluids, but they did say I could bring sour suckers..... not sure about that, but I found some jolly rancher suckers and am hoping those work. Has to be better than nothin.
MSweeten is offline   Reply With Quote