Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-07-2006, 01:55 PM   #21
MistyP
Registered Users
seller

Re: Birth plans

To Maya and Sarah,

Each hospital/OB is different about what you are "allowed" or not. The hospital I previously worked at and delivered my 2 DD's there, you were only allowed ice chips, mandatory IV, once your water broke you were stuck in bed, you even had to use the bedpan! Really sucked!!!! The docs routinely did episotomies, etc. It was pretty old school but it was a small hospital and the OB staff didn't have power to change anything.

The hospital where I am now is much different and especially if you have a midwife you can prevent most of that stuff. IF you have GBS+, we may put a saline lock in for the antibiotics but not hook up IV fluids, you are encouraged to walk, we have jacuzzi tubs, etc

The important thing I think is talk with your OB/midwife and see what they say. If it is something REALLY important to you, go with research!! Find MEDICAL articles with the benefits of fluids during labor, etc.

Good luck!!

Advertisement

MistyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 02:01 PM   #22
Luv2bemommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Birth plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by myajdw
i'm kinda curious about the drinking fluids thing too, i was allowed to have water and juice and popsicles while i was in labor at memorial hospital in CO. this time i will be delivering at denton regional in TX. and i've heard a lot of hospitals don't allow any fluids but ice chips and this is just insane! and what about eating anything, is it really necessary that we eat NOTHING during labor?

They can tell you you can't eat/drink but that don't mean you have to listen.. lol They say that cause if you need an emergancy Csection they can get you back and not have to worry about you vomiting food.. Let the ice chips melt into water, get dh to sneak some juice in.. LOL I also ate crackers earlier on and my midwife just ignore me when she seen me chewing.. LOLOL The hospital I delivered at would also give you popcicles too.