View Poll Results: How old was your dc when they could sufficiently wipe themselves?
3 days, the kid is a genius! 0 0%
18 months to 2 yrs. 1 1.16%
2 1/2 yrs. - 3 yrs. 6 6.98%
3 - 4 yrs. 38 44.19%
4 yrs - ? & still wipin' the bum 28 32.56%
other, because there always needs to be an other 13 15.12%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-25-2008, 08:44 PM   #11
Sarah's Supermilk
Registered Users
seller

Re: When could your dc wipe themselves? Sorry if tmi!

Pretty much as soon as DD was going potty on her own she wiped on her own. I checked behind her for awhile and bought her flushable wipes for awhile, but she was capable at 3 or 3 1/2 I'd say. Now her brother is a different story. He's almost 3 1/2 and I can't see him doing a good job at all, but he's not pl'd all the way yet either. He's only pooed in the potty once and I think it was an accident on his part!

Advertisement

Old 02-25-2008, 08:45 PM   #12
Poohb10454
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I marked 3-4 because he can do it himself, and do a fairly good job BUT, he always tries to get me to do it. For example this morning he woke the other two kids yelling from his bathroom "MOM COME WIPE MY BOOT PLEASE" grrrr. But he was 4 in November.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:46 PM   #13
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When I got pg with my molar pg and had awful nausea, DS HAD to wipe himself or get an itchy bum. I just couldn't always manage to do it. At 5.5 he still uses too much TP and there are still skid marks in his undies at times. I figure it'll really come when he is a teen and has a girlfriend.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:57 PM   #14
Kris5135
Registered Users
seller

WHEW!!!! Thank you all!!! I was thinking that this was a part of potty training that my son was not participating in . Apparently it's a separate thing. I have asked him if he wants me to show him how to wipe his bum all by himself, but he panics & says "no! Mama do it" and bends over. He's been potty trained for months now & wondering when he was going to wipe himself, but apparently it will be a while. I don't mind doing it. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't something he was supposed to be doing by now.
Kris5135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:42 PM   #15
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Age 4 and we use flushable wipes, they work great
Old 02-25-2008, 10:17 PM   #16
singlemomto3
Registered Users
seller

There are 5 of us "others" The only reason I put other is because my 5 year old wipes her own butt but it isn't always done well, so there is poop in her undies frequently. My 9 year old, just recently got it down that you wipe front to back. I guess it takes 3000 time of telling her.
singlemomto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:25 AM   #17
catkendig
Registered Users
seller
seller

I voted "Other." My twins are almost 3 1/2. DD has wiped successfully since just before turning 3. She's another of those 'clean poopers' so it's not that big of a deal. If I could just get her to flush the toilet, I'd be happier!!

DS, on the other hand, needs a thorough cleaning (usually with wet wipes) after a bathroom visit. Sadly, he doesn't always tell us when he's gone so you just don't know until you either change him for bed and note the racing stripes in his undies, OR on really bad days - you smell him walk by.... gross. BUT, he flushes AND closes the lid, every time.

Between the two of them, I have clean & courteous bathroom users. But then I also have messy & forgetful at the same time! All in good time, I suppose.
catkendig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:36 AM   #18
momandcass
Registered Users

Location: We live in between Garner and Clayton, NC, in the country.
My Mood:

She potty trained early- at 2, and always wanted to do it herself. For about a month I checked behind her, checked panties and what have you- but she was great. I didn't use cloth wipes at the time- I hadn't started that, DBoyfriend insisted on those flushable wet wipes, and tp. Cassidy used the wet wipes and always got it all. I think it made her feel cleaner than tp ever could- she was one of those babies that would take off the dipe and throw it out of the crib by the time I got in there in the AM- she hated being messy at all. To this day- she doesnt mind if its the cloth wipes, or dads flushable wipes, as long as she has something moist, she nevers misses a spot, no marks in her unders- always clean.

BUT as a TMI story: I lived in SC after hurricane Hugo. Not sure if you guys remember that one, but I was was 4 and my boy cousin was 5. We lived in an area where all of our trees blew over, there were stumps everywhere and they were clearing stuff out. Well, my dad, and uncle said they were so fed up with us being in the bathrooms yelling, "Mom!" "MOMMA!" "Aunt Becky!" waiting for someone to wipe our butts, they grabbed rolls of tp, and used stumps as potties. Wearing pants, I remember 'wiping' my bottom a hundred times, along with my cousin, and we werent allowed to call the moms again. Or we would have to go back out for another wooded lesson. A great funny story I'll always remember.
Jesus Lovin, BFin', Homebirthin, SAHM If I owe you FEEDBACK LMK!
momandcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:52 AM   #19
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For those of you with girls - how did you get them to wipe front to back? DD wants to wipe herself (barely 3) but always does it back to front so I end up doing it for her. I can't get her to figure out how to go front to back.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:10 PM   #20
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DJ will be 4 in July and refuses to even try to wipe himself. He's normally VERY independent so I don't get what the block is with this one thing but I don't push it. At home, we have a baby gate blocking the back half of the house so he has to ask someone when he needs to go potty anyway and he always tells us if he needs to poop (plus he needs help getting down off the seat afterwards so there's no sneaking out without being clean). Even at school though, he always grabs one of the teachers and lets them know that he's about to go poop and they need to come help him clean up afterwards.
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote