Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-25-2008, 08:25 PM   #1
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
weigh in as I ponder car seat options

I am expecting DS this summer. 10 mo old DD presently uses an Evenflo Triumph. (up to 40 pound model) I am thinking that I will let the new LO have this seat as it still has 3 years left on it and I figure it will work better for a younger baby anyway. (I don't do well with the removable infant carrier/car seats.)
This leaves DD needing a seat and I'd like it to be the last one I get her before moving her to a booster. The seats I'm considering are
another Triumph (new ones go up to 50 pounds)
Radian
Marathon

It will go into a mini van bucket seat-second row.
I live in Alabama where summer runs May-October so fabric that is cooler is better!!! The fuzzy stff makes me sweat just thinking about it.

Advertisement

Old 02-25-2008, 09:01 PM   #2
Smidgerooski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: weigh in as I ponder car seat options

I'm a Britax mama all the way!
Smidgerooski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
L2S2C
Registered Users
seller

I am a triumph lover, I have owned three, I think they are wonderful, just as wonderful and less pricey then the britax. I just saw the newer 50 pound model....wish they had those two years ago when I upgraded to my two matching triumphs...

I don't think your DD is old enough (depends on when you plan to FF her) but this is the seat Im buying my 4 year old. Harnesses up to 65 pounds. With a new baby on the way I just can't afford the Britax even when its on sale.

http://www.albeebaby.com/sa1stap65boc1.html

Josh is only 2 and 23 pounds so he will stay in his triumph and baby #3 will go to Katies triumph which I just got 2 years ago.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:40 PM   #4
L2S2C
Registered Users
seller

wait at 10 months I would totally just get another triumph assuming you like them.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:27 AM   #5
leighi123
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Im getting Levi the true fit - its out in march, rf to 35 and 5pts to 65lbs
leighi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:35 PM   #6
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the input, ladies. I'm really hoping for this seat to be DD's last seat before going into a booster. She'll stay RF until she's at least 2. My 5.5 yo DS still hasn't hit 50 pounds, so I'm sure she'll be able to stay in the (new) Triumph until she's ready for a booster.
I see that I will probably end up getting another seat for little DS along the way, because a) the seat will expire before he outgrows it and b) it only goes up to 40 pounds FF. I'm hoping to just get an inexpensive FF seat for him when he outgrows the RF limits.
I'm just trying to be economical. I'd rather drop $200+ NOW and have a seat that will last than spend $150 every 2-3 years.
Or would I do better to keep DD in her old Triumph until she outgrows it/it expires and then get a FF seat AND just get new DS the new seat that should last until he is booster ready?
Argh!
Old 02-26-2008, 04:55 PM   #7
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

There are several options. The biggest prob with using your current Triumph for the new baby is that sometimes the straps don't stay on teeny babies shoulders. The new Triumphs are better for this. You could get a new Triumph and use it for the new baby for awhile and then switch them around.
OR you could get a Radian and do the same thing. Start the baby in the Radian and swap when DD is too tall to rf in the Triumph, which happens earlier than some seats, due to the short shell. You would probably need the Radian 80 for the pads or order the extra pads for the 65. These seats fit little babies well. Plus, the Radian has an 8yr lifespan, so little DS could use if after DD to get him to booster age.
OR, you get use the Triumph for the baby and get DD a Marathon. This is a fine option and she will likely be ready for a booster after outgrowing it.

Honestly, I would probably do the Radian scenerio above. I am not a huge fan of the Radian(only because I think it looks weird, JMO!!!), BUT it does last a long time and has nice high slots.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:15 AM   #8
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyl08 View Post
There are several options. The biggest prob with using your current Triumph for the new baby is that sometimes the straps don't stay on teeny babies shoulders. The new Triumphs are better for this. You could get a new Triumph and use it for the new baby for awhile and then switch them around.
OR you could get a Radian and do the same thing. Start the baby in the Radian and swap when DD is too tall to rf in the Triumph, which happens earlier than some seats, due to the short shell. You would probably need the Radian 80 for the pads or order the extra pads for the 65. These seats fit little babies well. Plus, the Radian has an 8yr lifespan, so little DS could use if after DD to get him to booster age.
OR, you get use the Triumph for the baby and get DD a Marathon. This is a fine option and she will likely be ready for a booster after outgrowing it.

Honestly, I would probably do the Radian scenerio above. I am not a huge fan of the Radian(only because I think it looks weird, JMO!!!), BUT it does last a long time and has nice high slots.
OK. This makes a lot of sense. I didn't realize the Radians had an 8 year life span. That makes a BIG difference-especially since the Triumph already has a year used up on it. That will ensure that the Radian can be passed down when the Triumph expires. And yes, they do look odd, but they are a bit of a different animal.
So I could keep DD RF in the Triumph until she hits 30 pounds (I'm guessing 3ish based on DC 1-and she is NOT gonna be a tall kid) and let littlest DS RF in the Radian.
Then switch the car seats so they can both RF some more. (3ish yo DD RF in Radian and 2ish DS in Triumph)
Turn them both FF whenever they reach the RF weight/height limit in their respective seats. (DS might have to turn a little earlier, but he'll still be about 3-much better than 1!)
DD will be nearly 6 by the time the Triumph expires and big enough to move to a booster. Littlest DS (4.5) will move to the Radian FF and it will still have 3 years of life left on it!
My only concern with this scenario is what do I do if DS outgrows the Triumph in height before it expires? I suck it up and get another car seat. Oh, well! By that time DH will probably have convinced me to take on DC number 4 and I will have to get another car seat anyway.

Maybe I should just give up and get them both a new Britax or Radian and put my Triumph in the basement until no. 4 shows up.

Thank you for helping me think this all out. It helps a lot to write it out and just look at it.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:21 AM   #9
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have both Marathon and Boulevard, and I wouldn't buy anything else!

The ease of install is huge for me, since they get moved around a lot. Britax latch hooks are WAY WAY easier than any other brand--they open like a seatbelt instead of being a hook.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote