Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-26-2008, 09:59 AM   #1
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
1 year old birthday parties

So what DO YOU DO for a 1 year old party? I mean I went to my friend's who has only one child and she had it a Chucky cheese! I mean the baby/child didn't do anything but sit in the chair!

I want to be creative, but something on a budget.

Any advise or tips or suggestion would be GREAT! Daniel turns 1 in April.

Advertisement

eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #2
asianmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 1 year old birthday parties

for dd we had the party at my parents house/ we were living there too.. anyways we did a pizza partry with a cake. invited family and some of my high school friends and couple people from dh's job came. um ashlyn was thrilled about balloons and the streamers.. no games were played since ashlyn was the only 'itty bitty child" there

for ds we didnt do any party since we were across the state for his bday cuz of a wedding we HAD to go to
Amen.
asianmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

COOL anyone else?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:30 AM   #4
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For DD's birthday (in December) we had my and DH's family over. I made spaghetti and we ate dinner, sang to DD, opened presents, and ate cake. We did it on her actual birthday, which was on a Wednesday, so all celebration had to be over by 7pm when she goes to sleep. Nothing fancy, but with her birthday being so close to Christmas it wasn't really feasible to do a party. I went to a friend's son's 1st birthday and basically it was pretty much the same. Food, cake and presents. At that age doing something isn't really that realistic.
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:36 AM   #5
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

did anyone have a theme?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:37 AM   #6
FinnegansMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We had family party at my inlaws in Mass. It was nice since it gave us a chance to see everyone as we live 4 hours away. It was the first weekend in October and it was outside - the weather was amazing! 75-80, perfect fall day. Lots of food, people could sit inside and outside. We had a cake, everything was yellow and green polka dots. WE didn't have a theme, just colors for the balloons, etc. Not too much stuff though, really simple. I told people not to bring presents but they did anyways. I invited some of my freinds from my hometown, since it's close to where my inlaws lived and it turned into a mini reuinion. I actually had MORE fun at this party than I did at my wedding - no joke. It was such a blast...

ETA - I made him this organic carrot cake for his "smash" cake. He hated it. He wanted the "real" cake....

I made him this bib...

Cake...

Last edited by FinnegansMom; 02-26-2008 at 10:39 AM.
FinnegansMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:01 AM   #7
looking8186
Registered Users
seller
seller

We just had our little ones party on Sunday which was actually the day he turned one. He is our foster baby so we couldn't really have any of his biological family other than his brother and sister (3 and 5 years) But... my family LOVES him so both grandmas came 2 aunts 5 or so uncles a woman from the church we go to, a couple close friends and tons of kiddos. We had my brothers 5 kids my sisters 3 then my other brothers one little girl (all the kids are 9 and under). Soooo needless to say we had lots of people there. The party was at 1:30 so we didnt really have to do lunch or dinner because we are also on a budget-- so we just did snacks and drinks. We had a huge bag of frozen meatballs from Costco and tried a recipe where you just throw them in a crockpot and add chili sauce and grape jelly.... Sounded gross to me but it was really good and really easy. My sister brought some chinese food.... chicken finger things, chicken wings, and scallion pancakes. We also had cheese and crackers, cheese popcorn, fruit (grapes pineapple cantaloupe) and that was it for food other than cake and ice cream. then for drinks we just had ice tea and diet coke w/ juice boxes for the kiddos and some beer and wine for the adults. The kids really just played with all of the toys we had ( we did the party at home) and because it was a music themed party we took little pringles cans had the kiddos color a strip of paper that fit around the outside and filled the can with rice 1/2 way and then taped the tops and the paper on. Taa daa shakers!! A little later we had them come in the living room and they played freeze dance with the shakers. Then we did cake and icecream we had a guitar cake that was super cute!! My mom made it, and the baby had his own smash cake which was a Xylophone.... we did gifts and them people just hung out. The baby played and we had reggae on for alot of the party so he sat and bounced and danced. It really was the perfect party for him because he LOVES music so he just went with the flow crawled around had fun and the other kids played with him. It turned out great and was pretty low stress because we didn't try to do anything huge or expensive, just really special and good for him!! Hope that helps!!!

** I also wanted to add that we did carrot cake with a great recipe that i actually got here on ds and then put cream cheese frosting on it for both the smash cake and regular cake

Last edited by looking8186; 02-26-2008 at 11:04 AM.
looking8186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:11 AM   #8
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you Michelle; how cute.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:16 AM   #9
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

yeah the cake is still in question, because of all his allergies and then the ones we don't know about.
Dairy, soy, and gluten are out as well as wheat.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:24 PM   #10
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

For our oldest and youngest we didn't have a theme. Our son had a theme, but only because my mom found stuff and said it was going to be cars. For Autumn and Aiden we had all the family over and a couple friends and did food and cake. We didn't do presents at Aiden's party because his birthday is shortly after Christmas and at that birthday he was still growing into toys he got at Christmas. Natalie just had her 1st birthday last week and we had Grandpa here (bit far to come to Alaska from Michigan and Florida for a birthday party) and did cake. We don't really do parties with other kids until they hit about 3 or 4.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote