Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-26-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
Marquita
Registered Users

Britax Boulevard, Regent, or ???

I need a new car seat for my 3 yr old, who is nearly 40 lbs but on the short side. I think I have it narrowed to those 2, but would like some opinions from those who have used them. I was going with Britax mainly because my Roundabout is my favorite of all the carseats I have had. Anyway, here are the pros and cons as I see them for each seat. I have a '03 Honda Odyssey, if that makes a difference.

Boulevard:
Pros- don't have to rethread as child grows older ( I really like this feature, why don't all car seats have it?), side impact protection, smaller than Regent, should last until he's ready for a booster and then I can move my youngest into this one, if we decide to have another baby and the Roundabout expires too soon I can put baby rear facing in this seat

Cons- not sure I like the tightening mechanism (why didn't they use the easy button system like the roundabout?), more expensive than Regent and I will probably never end up using it rear facing, lower weight limit than Regent

Regent:
Pros-less expensive, higher weight limit so for sure will last until my son is in a booster

Cons- again, I prefer the button style belt tightening, have to rethread as he grows, not aircraft approved (will likely fly at least once in the next 2 years), sounds like this thing is huge, no side impact protection, my youngest will probably grow out of her roundabout before my son grows out of this so we'd need a new seat

Okay, now that I've typed that up, I see that the Boulevard would probably be a better choice for us. I guess it's just the price and some of the negatives I've heard about the tightening mechanism that are making me look at the regent. I've briefly considered the marathon and decathlon, but the fact that I won't have to rethread the boulevard is what is really drawing me to it. Any other recommendations for me?

Advertisement

Old 02-26-2008, 02:00 PM   #2
Rannensmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Britax Boulevard, Regent, or ???

I have a boulevard for my daughter and love it, when DD outgrows it she's going into a Regent.
I would suggest taking your child to the store with you and seeing how each seat fits him. Also, at places like babies are us they will let you put the floor model in your car to test the fit.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:06 PM   #3
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

I have a Boulevard that I love. If I were in your situation, though, I would def go for the Regent... he can't rearface anyway and that'll fit him until he is out of careats.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:17 PM   #4
talithakoum219
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
I have a Boulevard that I love. If I were in your situation, though, I would def go for the Regent... he can't rearface anyway and that'll fit him until he is out of careats.
I agree with this. My 21 month old is in a Regent and will be until he's done with carseats. When we have another kid, we'll probably get a convertible for the in-between time until DS is done with his Regent.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
mom2riley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would definitly go for the Regent at this stage in the game. When a child is past the RFing limit of a seat there is no need to purchase a convertible. Go for the option that will keep them harnessed longest, the Regent.
Leilani '10
mom2riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:11 PM   #6
skyericsson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here is what we use. Our DD had a roundabout (love it)She was in it until she was 4 years old she weighed 31lbs. We had DS and he is now rear facing in her roundabout. DD has a new boulavard, (love it too), when she outgrows her boulavard by weight or height which will be a long while, She will then go to a Regent. DS will get his own Boulavard because DD will most likely not outgrow hers before his roundabout expires in a year. Then once he outgrows his boulavard, he will be in his own regent. They will both stay in a Regent until they out grow them, then if needed they will both go to Britax Manarch boosters until they fit regular seatbelts. (we will keep them in 5 point harnesses as long as they fit them)

HTH
cosleeping, conservative yet extra crispycrunchy wife to my loving DH and sahm of our gorgeous princess sophia9/03 and cutie pie prince sven 8/07 and our beautiful sweet rainbow preemie born at 30 weeks Sång (pronounced "song")
skyericsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:21 PM   #7
Lazyhead
Registered Users

Another vote for the Regent. I just got one for my 4 year old DD and she LOVES IT. It's so roomy and pretty.
Lazyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:23 PM   #8
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2riley View Post
I would definitly go for the Regent at this stage in the game. When a child is past the RFing limit of a seat there is no need to purchase a convertible. Go for the option that will keep them harnessed longest, the Regent.