Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-28-2014, 10:27 AM   #1
NEkalmia
Registered Users
seller

New to EC - tips for part time

I recently read about EC and thought it sounded like it may work well for my 2 mo DD. However, I am not interested in jumping into this on the deep end. I don't want to go completely diaper free. I am a SAHM but I am not interested in having potty bowls in every room of my house or bringing a plastic potty along on road trips. (We likely would just use diapers when not at home). My goals are 1) to reduce diaper laundry and 2) to make an easy transition to the potty. A bonus #3 would be early potty training, but I don't really want to put pressure on it.

So I am interested in starting this, but don't really know much about it. I am interested in suggestions for good resources that would help, particularly with my goals of doing this part time. What are the GOOD EC books out there? Any websites with tips on how to make it work with diapers? Anyone else have tips on making it work with diapers?

Advertisement

NEkalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:56 PM   #2
lapedestrienne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: New to EC - tips for part time

I found The Diaper-Free Baby by Christine Gross-Loh very helpful, and she has very good advice for part-time EC, how to start at different ages, etc. For a brief intro to EC concepts, I liked the EC section in The Other Baby Book (can't think of authors' names right now).

I think *a lot* of people who EC in western cultures do it with diapers--we don't live in a society that if comfortable seeing poop and pee happen in public, so letting baby go nakey-bum all the time is really hard.

I'll be honest and say that I don't think ECing has reduced my diaper laundry a whole lot. It's often most convenient to use a prefold to "catch" pees, esp with a little baby with a little bladder--unless you feel like spending the whole day within a couple meters of your bathroom. I started out thinking I'd use potty bowls, but potty bowls have to be rinsed out--often catching with a prefold feels easier/more convenient. And pretty soon you'll get comfortable enough with baby's rhythms, whether you're timing or looking for cues, that you'll be able to get her to the bathroom when she needs to be.

I'd recommend going coverless as often as possible--you know right away when you've had a miss, rather than way after the fact. It means you might get, er, damp occasionally. Especially at first.
lapedestrienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
NEkalmia
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the heads-up on not reducing diaper laundry. I suppose I was more concerned about non-EBF poos when we start solids. My prefolds, inserts, and covers wash, dry, and fold easily so laundry isn't too much bother right now. My reasoning for want to use diapers is primarily for when we are out and about. It already is enough stress to try to plan nursing breaks when we are out, I am reluctant to have to plan bathroom breaks as well.

And I will look into those books. There are so many available, it is difficult to know where to start. Thanks for the recommendations.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:37 PM   #4
lapedestrienne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I still use diapers when we go out. I just barely put a travel potty in the car. LO is 4 months. There is sooo much to think about and figure out when you go out with an infant. For now, I just offer potty right before going out and right when coming home (when you'd probably change diapers regardless)--same as you would for a PLing older child. That way it's just part of the routine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lapedestrienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:14 PM   #5
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I did it very part-time with my second baby, but I could never read his signals, so we switched to a mostly timing-based method when he was several months old and caught maybe 25% of the time. He was in diapers 100% of the time, just also offered him the potty when I thought it might be time.
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:17 PM   #6
NEkalmia
Registered Users
seller

Oh, thank you for sharing your experiences. They are very encouraging that we can maybe do this. Mostly diapers with some EC is the sort of thing I was thinking might work for us. Glad to know others have had success doing similar things. I was worried about it confusing the baby to do 2 different methods (diaper and EC).
Old 06-30-2014, 07:30 PM   #7
LittlePeepers
Registered Users

I've been part-time ECing with my daughter since she was two days old. She, too , was in a diaper most of the time. I would offer the potty or a bowl at diaper changes or when I sensed she had to go. Right around one year old, I started going cover less at home because I realized I wasn't watching for cues like I should have when she was filly diapered. Squirmy toddler and trying to pin a flat on her many times a day led me to putting her in trainers about a month ago. It was hit or miss for about a week and a half, and then she suddenly started getting it! We went several days with dry underwear and only used a diaper at nap and night! Over the past few weeks, we've had varying degrees of success depending on the day, but overal, she is doing fantastic! We even go out if the house in underwear now, and she is only 14.5 months old! All of this to say, yes, you can EC part-time and still meet your goals!
LittlePeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:19 AM   #8
BlueWaveBaby
Registered Users

I just started EC with my baby but I read Andrea Olson's ebook Go Diaper Free. It includes info for part time but what I really found helpful was the members resource where I could look though old and new threads to answer my questions. I think you can even post questions to Andrea and she'll answer them. I'm happy to see my experiences are similar to some listed here.
BlueWaveBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:51 PM   #9
AlysiaMarie
Registered Users

My Mood:

It is great to hear that I am not the only one trying EC. When I have mentioned it to other moms they gave me some raised eyebrows...showing their complete disapproval. It is challenging being a new mom and trying to figure all of this out.
AlysiaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:14 AM   #10
coralbear
Registered Users
seller

I wasn't able to catch many EBF poos but once her poops started getting more solid with solid food, poops were a lot easier to catch. I think I've only missed one or two poos in three weeks, and at least one of them I knew it was happening but wasn't in an appropriate place to rip off her diaper mid-poo haha. Hopefully I won't jinx myself with this, but I still haven't found a need for a diaper sprayer and love love love just giving a simple wipe with a poopy butt instead of dealing with a crawling away smeared butt baby. We are in diapers pretty much full time, but catch poops and 2-4 pees a day
coralbear is offline   Reply With Quote