Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-28-2006, 09:22 AM   #1
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
My Mood:
Alright.. what's a nursing strike?

DS was having such a good day yesterday. He's 7 weeks old and finally beginning to sleep longer than 3 hours at night time. Last night, out of nowhere he just started balling blue bloody murder. He usually doesn't cry like that. And he's the kind of baby that will stop any and all fussing if the boob comes out--but he just flat out refused to nurse... no matter what. I finally had to wake up DH (who somehow was sleeping through all of this.. oooh.. made me so mad) who got DS to calm down.. but DS didn't nurse again until he woke up 5 blessed hours later.

I know he was uncomfortable about something--probably some kind of gas... but eve at his gassiest, he's always at least nursed for comfort.

Could it hav been that I ate something weird that made my milk taste funny? What exactly IS a nursing strike?

Come "like" The Screaming Penny on Facebook HERE Groupon Eversave
Discover Swagbucks (FAQ) then join Swagbucks
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:28 AM   #2
Formerly: RileysMama
My Mood:
Re: Alright.. what's a nursing strike?

Kellymom is the best site in the world (that I know of) for nursing moms. Check out what they have to say on this topic! HTH!!
S a r a h
I sell MK and I'm a SAHM of 3!
SugarBunsWool&More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:34 AM   #3
Yarn Snob
My Mood:
Re: Alright.. what's a nursing strike?

Well with DD they started happening when she was much older (brief bouts when she was younger I'd just attribute to being fussy - a strike goes on for more than a few hours), when she started cutting her first molars. Basically she will just plain flat out refuse to nurse AT ALL for a few days... after previously nursing multiple times a day with no problem. Once she went for an entire week, and I couldn't even get her to latch on She actually lost quite a bit of weight during that one, as I couldn't get her to eat or drink much else either. She pretty much lived on Tylenol. It was clear that she was refusing because it hurt.

As you can imagine, not nursing for a week doesn't do good things for milk supply (and I haven't been able to pump anything since DD was around 6 weeks old so that didn't help either - I even bought a new pump recently to try again). We did recover from that one, only to have her do it again a few weeks later, and the pattern has repeated a couple of times...
Sarah photographer mom to Seth (7), Kaia (3), and my lucky little Odin born 7/7/07!
EasterBunz is now part of Tiny Lady Cooperative!
{my crafty blog} {my photo blog} {my flickr}
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote