Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-28-2006, 04:55 PM   #1
JoyfulRose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Very new to cloth diapering...a few questions for the experts

After spending almost $100 on diapers since my son's birth I'm thinking I might switch to cloth.

I've been doing research on cloth diapers since our 2-year-old was born. I really liked the idea of cloth but was afraid to switch because my family teased me for even considering cloth diapers and I didn't know anyone who actually used them.

Here are my questions:

We don't have a lot of money to spend on diapers so I've been searching the FFS forum and found a few diapers on there to try. (Thanks so much to the mamas who post in that section!) Are there any other places I could look for inexpensive diapers?

I bought a few Dappi contours and covers off Ebay a few weeks ago and finally got them prewashed and started using them today. I noticed that the cover was wet but not soiled when I changed my son so I put a new cover on. Do I just let the slightly wet cover air out and then use it again when it's dry or do I need to rewash it?

I'm nursing our son so most of his diapers just have a tiny bit of breastfed poop; do I need to rinse them in the toilet or is it ok to just put them all in a dry pail and then do a preliminary rinse cycle and then wash like regular?

Since I'm starting to do cloth with my 2-month-old I'm thinking this is probably a good time to switch to cloth for our 2-year-old. Do they potty train faster when you use cloth? What's the best way to go about potty-training? Right now I have him in Pull-ups that I bought months ago (didn't have money to buy any large cloth diapers for him) and am just taking him to the bathroom every hour or two. So far it has been working well. How did you encourage your child to tell you when they needed to use the bathroom?

Is there anything else you wished you had known when you first started cloth diapering?

Thanks for taking the time to answer this new mama's questions!
Tina

PS - If anyone has any diapers they don't want/need, please PM me; I'll gladly pay shipping costs! Our 2-year-old weighs 25 pounds and our 2-month-old weighs 11 pounds. They both have fairly chubby thighs. Thanks again!

Advertisement

Last edited by tinaroseb; 08-28-2006 at 04:57 PM.
JoyfulRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 05:04 PM   #2
ShannaMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Very new to cloth diapering...a few questions for the experts

I'd just let pee-wet covers air out and reuse. We washed them when they got poo'd on, and whenever the next dipe laundry day was.

With BF poo, there's no need to swish or rinse. I just put the poo dipes in the wetbag (it's dry-no water, just called a wetbag) until wash time. I do a cold pre-rinse cycle, and then a hot wash/cold rinse, plus an extra rinse.

Are you crafty at all? I have limited sewing experience and have started making my own pockets, it's pretty easy! You can make dipes SUPER cheap, if you're so inclined. There are lots of free and easy patterns in the Craft Chat section-- and you can get materials here in the craft/supplies FSOT.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:36 PM   #3
Zany Zebra Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Cheap diapers: If you can sew you can make some really cheap. If you're into prefolds they can be made even cheaper and easier than fitteds. (I'm folding impaired so I don't use pfs)

Covers: I use my pee-only covers 2-3 times, unless they start smelling. Of course poo-ey ones need to be washed before using again.

Washing: My DS is 2 years old and I just dump the solids into the toilet and dry pail. I rinse in cold, wash hot, extra rinse - but if I don't wash every other day religiously they stink like poo.

PL'ing: Yes, they learn quicker in cloth! I think you're making a good start - he has to be ready before it'll work. Just keep taking him and praise him when he goes. Remind him to tell you when he has to go and someday he will.

Anything else: I wish I'd been aware of all the options when I started 18 yrs ago, and along the way. Be sure to try out as many different types as you can so you can find what works best for you.

PM me, I have a couple extras I can send you.

Zany Zebra Designs ~ Diapers as beautifully unique as your child.

~ It's happy, it's crazy, it's my life ~ My Happy Crazy Life
~Amy Sue, Mama to &
Zany Zebra Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:14 PM   #4
JoyfulRose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for answering my questions. That helps so much!

I thought of a few more.

Every time I've changed Adam today the cover has been slightly damp inside so I've used a new cover and am letting the damp ones air out before I use them again. Is it normal for the covers to be damp (on the inside) every time you change them? I've been using contours inside the covers but the contours might be too small for my son. Do I need to add a doubler maybe? Or get different covers? Or is this normal and I'm asking a silly question?

Do you need to use Spray N Wash on the diapers to get the poo stains out or do you just do the cold water rinse, wash, rinse again, and hang to dry?

If I end up doing prefolds is there a certain type that's better than another?

Thanks again,
Tina

Old 08-28-2006, 06:16 PM   #5
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

i'm not really an expert...but i wash the same way the other mama's told you...one thing, be careful of what detergent you use, some will cause the dipes to stink. go here to check some out www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com i use sun detergent, and you only need to use 1/4 to 1/3 of the recommended amoutn (any more and it will cause stink too...that's with any detergent you choose), so a 40 load bottle of sun stretches into a 120 to 160 load bottle and you only paid $2 for it!!!

breastfeed poo does not need to be rinsed in sink or dunked, just put into pail.

yes i think cloth trainers train a child much faster. go to babybestbuy on ebay, that's where we bought ours. he has them 12 for $12 and they're GREAT!!!

i have a couple cheap dipes for sale in fsot...but i think they're already too small for your kiddos. there is one one size though.

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:18 PM   #6
presleycaedmon
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinaroseb
If I end up doing prefolds is there a certain type that's better than another?
I just got 24 chinese prefolds from little lions (www.little-lions.com I think) and I LOVE them! They were by far the least expensive I've seen and they work great! They also got to me super fast.

However, word on the street is that Thristies are the best PF's out there.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:23 PM   #7
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

it depends on how wet the dipe got really on how damp the cover is. if you catch it before it's soaking then the cover won't be wet. but that's not necessarily something you need to do really. that's all up to you lol.

as far as prefolds go, i've heard really good things about the thirsties brand but have never used or even seen one. we're happy with our indian prefolds...very happy with them! they're much softer than the chinese prefolds but there's also a slight size difference...the indian's are smaller (not by much but they are). we love them though!

prefolds are also great to have around IMO b/c when your child is in between sizes in fitteds you know your pf's will fit. and also when (like me right now) your child has outgrown a size in fitteds (or whatever else) and you don't have the next size up..you have your pf's!!! and also b/c pf's are just SO much cheaper!!!

so far we haven't had any problems with staining at all. not even with the meconium poo. we just do the cold rinse, hot wash, extra rinse. most mama's sun stains out. i have rec'd some stain dipes off fsot and if it's a very stubborn stain i will use a little bleach (like 1/8 cup) in the wash and normally that takes it right out. i don't know if spray n wash is a no no or not. we even had very little staining (if any) with the trainers as well.

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:32 PM   #8
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congrats on choosing cloth... you have gotten great advice... some things I wish I knew when I started was there is alot of different types out there (I only thought there was kushies.) You can make your own doublers for you smaller child by folding a wash cloths inside a fitted (I did this alot when I was starting). You can also make your own stay dry liners by buying fleece from the fabric store and cutting in in maxi pad squares. Keeps you baby dry and oh so cheap.
I got alot of my starter stash from the consigment store... may be you can luck into some there too. Not the best diapers but they got us threw.
I will go threw my stash and try to find some dipes for your baby... to help get you started.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:02 PM   #9
Righteous Recycles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wished I had known that you can use prefolds without pins or snappis and also not to waste my time with dappi diapers.
Righteous Recycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:57 PM   #10
JoyfulRose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you so much for the help ladies! What a wonderful forum this is. I'm so glad to have found it.

I have a few more questions

I've decided to make some wipes and I've seen several different ways to do this. I bought some plain terry towels from walmart and I'm wondering if I just use the towels themselves as wipes (except cut smaller), or if you ladies have had more success sewing something soft on the back, like flannel?

I also found some of those microfiber towels at walmart. Someone mentioned using those as stuffins (I don't have any pocket diapers yet so I haven't tried it), or just laying them inside a cover with something staydry on top. I have some extra fleece from a baby blanket I made...could I cut that and put it on top of the microfiber? Do I just fold the MF into thirds and lay it in the cover? Also, do I just wash the MF like normal? Do I need to prewash several times like I did for prefolds, or just once?

Thanks again,
Tina

Last edited by tinaroseb; 08-29-2006 at 04:03 PM.