Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2008, 01:25 PM   #11
mommaduck
Registered Users

Re: My Ped is Crazy!

RUN! I don't care if you have to find a Ped that is an hour away, do it! That woman doesn't know squat about basic childcare!

Advertisement

Old 03-05-2008, 01:36 PM   #12
staycelyne
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Wow. I'd be tempted to bring in medical 'research' whatev printed off showing that juice is NOT appropriate for a 2mo old and cloth does NOT cause rashes and is actually better for kids that stuggle with rashes in sposies. Then ask her if she has any things to print off showing otherwise.
staycelyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:17 PM   #13
logansmomma07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just wanted to say, . Some "doctors"..... Its even worse to think, who actually LISTENS to that kind of advice?? Those poor children. My cousin started her baby on juice and cereal at 2 months. And then was upset because the baby was gassy and fussy all the time. I would definitely tell that "doctor" what-for and then never, ever go back. Is there somewhere you could report her to? Esp. for giving antibiotics for NO FLIPPIN REASON? I mean, not everyone is as informed as we are, these kinds of things could harm other children. Don't they have to follow AAP guidelines??? Because she is WAY off!
Old 03-05-2008, 02:18 PM   #14
BambiJo
Registered Users

Quote:
Just thinking "What would they do in Little House on the Prairie" really helps me to think outside the box and keep from running to the doctor all the time, which is tempting!
Ha! I have always wanted one of those bracelets that say, "WWLD," which is, of course, What Would Laura Do?"

I'd get a new pediatrician NOW! And never go back. What a whackjob!
Old 03-05-2008, 04:34 PM   #15
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would run away as fast as I could! We don't go to Well Baby visits here, I take him in about once every 6 mos just to keep his file active at the Ped, and aside from that, I take him to the health unit to weigh him. I never did Well Baby visits with my DD either, so unless it's super important to have see a Ped (who is spouting off useless info), I wouldn't even take him in unless he's sick.

I've earned $75 with Swagbucks AND I've lost 108.8lbs ISO MM Poppies
raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:46 PM   #16
dmj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You could look to see if there is a PA or NP. They are usually better informed of the newest stuff and less ego. Good luck. Your DR sounds almost dangerous.
dmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:46 PM   #17
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My ped suggested juice at dd's 6 week checkup. I just said no. He also told me I could start cereal if I wanted at 8 weeks. Again, I told him no. He is older though and close to retirement (and we trained when it was common to give a 6 week old cerealto "help them sleep" ).

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:04 AM   #18
snowbird25ca
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just joining the drop the ped and run far far away band wagon.

Most illnesses don't require the treatment of a dr. anyways. Colds, flu's, misc viruses - really the only time a dr. is needed is if baby is in a lot of pain that you can't help comfort, or something like allergic reaction/breathing difficulties etc.

Your best bet is to give probiotics (acidophillus,) every day. (Kids chewables are available or you can just use powdered ones and mix it into whatever - or just dip the tip of your finger in the powder and let your little one suck it off.)

Healthy food, limit sugar, if you do give juice water it down. (My dd's dentist says zero juice and she was 3yrs old last time she saw him...)

Kids get sick, but their bodies can handle it and they come out stronger in the end. As long as they're not dehydrated or having troubles breathing or bleeding a bunch, chances are they don't need to be seen by the dr. You don't really need a dr. to tell you your child is healthy if you already know it. And most illnesses a dr. can't do anything about anyways.

And remember, just because a dr. prescribes antibiotics doesn't mean you have to use them. Any dr. who gives different care to a child because they aren't vaccinated is putting them at risk. It means she's operating under the assumption that since he's not vaccinated, surely he has a vaccine preventable disease and she better medicate him to the max. But she's not taking into account the fact that all those medications can harm him when he's likely got nothing more than a virus...

Do you have family doc's in town? There's nothing saying you have to take your little one to a ped. You could always just see a family dr.
snowbird25ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:55 AM   #19
Infinity
Registered Users
Formerly: five-littlemonkeys
seller

My Mood:

“so she prescribed him antibiotics for his cold along with breathing treatments and cough medicine”

I’m sorry I have to address this!! This is BAD BAD medicine!!!!

1-Drs DO NOT give out antibiotics unless it’s an infection. Over using them causes immunities. Not to mention using them when they’re not needed causes bad reactions.

2-Breating treatments should ONLY be used if there is trouble with breathing. This means labored and rattley. Using it when it’s not needed causes the heart to race!! It causes jitters and worse.

3- Any Dr worth their weight in beans has read all the newest studies proving that cold meds do nothing for children. And know that our use and our dosing are causes of illness and ER visits. Juice---also in the Pediatric journals it says to wait till 6mn for solids and that juice isn’t necessary at all but should wait till at least 9mn. That BM or formula should be the main diet till over 1yo, at least 32oz/day.

You really need to find a different Pedi. I know the Drs in my town SUCK! So I drive an hr to decent ones several towns away.

For colds and congestion I have found that NOTHING works better and faster that Pulsatilla. It’s a homeopathic med. I get it in tinny round pill form that comes in a little blue vile. It taste like sugar or candy and my kids LOVE it. I’ve found it at major grocery chains in their health/natural foods isle.

Last edited by Infinity; 03-06-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:02 PM   #20
onlygirl
Banned

My Mood:

my kids ped insisted that all of them be on asthma inhalers every single day. i did it for a year and then stopped to see how they did. they only had issues if and when they got sick. so i took them in one time when they were sick and got yelled at by him for not staying on the meds. i told him i had had asthma since i was a kid and did have some idea how to manage it. not good enough, i was a bad mom for not shoving meds on my kids everyday. they really didnt need them. i wasnt bieng anti med. they just didnt need them every single day. i wanted to put them on seasonally, nope not good enough, i am still a bad mom. whatever time to move on. if your ped is doing things you dont agree with and then putting you down for not agreeing or falling in line, move on. i found a great family doc the next town over, its a much longer drive but well worth it for a doc who is keeping up on things and wants to respect how i parent.
onlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote