Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-19-2014, 02:04 PM   #1
mickeyy
Registered Users

ECing daytime only

I just started ECing my 4 mo son most of the time during the day. We don't co-sleep so it's just too hard to EC during the nighttime and sleep is more important to me anyway. By me not Ecing at night, is it somehow being counterproductive in the potty-learning journey? Am I somehow teaching him that peeing his pants is ok at night, but not during the day? I don't want to do that on purpose, but I also don't know what the long-term effects are. Any one else do daytime ec, but not night time?

Advertisement

mickeyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
lapedestrienne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ECing daytime only

I don't think it's counterproductive. I'm actually trying to teach little man that it's okay to pee in a diaper at night so we both get some sleep. He'll be 3 mos tomorrow. When they're this little their bladders are too small to go all night and I think getting a full night's sleep is a more important priority (for babies and mamas!) than catching every pee. I've had quite a few nights where he can't sleep if he's soaking wet. We're experimenting with microfleece and stay-dry liners at night, but honestly I think it just comes down to making it clear that once the lights are out I'm not going to potty/change him and the diaper is just going to have to stay on for 8 hours.

I've been amazed at how long he can hold though--we've had some 6 hours stretches at night where he wakes up dry and asks to go... I hate to discourage that, but establishing good sleep habits is equally important!
lapedestrienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:01 PM   #3
Pandora75
Registered Users

Re: ECing daytime only

We don't EC at night necessarily, but if she wakes and we open a dry diaper, over the potty she goes. Or if she's really fussy, usually she needs to pee, so over the potty she goes. Just like many adults get up to go at night, our kids do too and have since day one. Neither of my kids has peed in their sleep. You have to deal with it one way or another. You're either changing a diaper or taking them potty.
Pandora75 is offline   Reply With Quote