Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-15-2016, 08:48 PM   #1
senadoll
Registered Users

Feeling frustrated with EC

I've been reading about EC for awhile and and decided to give it a go since last Thursday. The first night, my son who is 6 months old and exclusively disposable diapered, pee'd in the toilet and I felt very encouraged. He pee'd once a day for 3 days straight. I put him on there after every meal and after he woke up from naps. Since Sunday he has started rejecting the potty altogether. He will not sit on the toilet seat and tries to scoot off of it, straightening his legs. We have both a seat on the actual toilet and a baby Bjorn smart potty and he acts the same way on both. It feels like I'm forcing him so, I stop because I don't want create a negative association with either. I really don't know what to do. Should I give him a break? Should I scale it back? Maybe try him on it once a day and work my way up? Should I keep up with it and hope he will learn to like it? Anyone else have a similar experience? I'm feeling defeated and appreciate any tips and/or advice...

Advertisement

senadoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:05 PM   #2
DreamInGreen
Registered Users
seller

Re: Feeling frustrated with EC

Hi! This is so common. He may be going through something (growth spurt) and is too distracted to potty. Try the once a day suggestion you made. Try having more fun stuff avail on potty. Also look up the podcast Go Diaper Free. Please post an update! My 6m old is in this right now. I feel so discouraged! My first was EC and I just don't Remener the downs. I know there def were ups/downs, I just don't remember that part conveniently!
Old 12-27-2016, 11:28 AM   #3
MamaBooBear
Registered Users
seller

My daughter isn't that old yet but she has plenty of times when she doesn't want to be on the potty. A lot of times it was cause I was putting her on too much trying to catch something. It helps having something on the seat like a potty cozy or I just lay a diaper insert on top. She doesn't like the cold seat. I also play with her a lot on the potty and sing. The main thing is to just keep trying and be okay with misses. Just yesterday i had the baby horn insert between my legs and was holding my daughter over it while she peed. I then started to feel warmth between my legs and realized I didn't have her totally in the bowl and it was running down the side. EC fail�� Maybe try to not be so diligent. Potty him when it pops into your head. It's a lot more natural that way and You will start to notice that you are responding to his cues. You are definitely doing the right thing by taking him off if he doesn't want to be on it though! Just keep at it! One of the things I've read the most from my research and searching for reinforcement is that the communication part of EC is the most important part and that is so true!
MamaBooBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:15 AM   #4
waterloofarms
Registered Users

Sounds like you have great instincts. If you baby doesn't like it then definitely back off but also I found that I had to keep trying but just less often. It can be super frustrating and there are many ups and downs for sure! Sometimes I would just try once a day and then you can take the lead from your baby. Good luck!
waterloofarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:24 AM   #5
bbammu
Registered Users
seller

I just did EC partly with both kids because it's so labor-intensive when they are peeing every 30 minutes! We went back and forth between EC and full-time cloth diapers, depending on life.

My little one has always pooped in the toilet from 6 months old, thanks to EC. As for pees, she's aware of the sensation from before 12 months old and can express it, but not willing to pee on a potty or toilet. She just didn't care about accidents. She finally started taking herself to the toilet at 28 months old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bbammu is offline   Reply With Quote