Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-30-2006, 08:04 AM   #11
ashkash
Registered Users
seller

Re: Red Dye #40

I know how scary that kind of hysteria can be. We deal with it off & on with DS#1. I'm so glad you posted about the red dye though, b/c it's something I'm going to have to look into with Dean. He goes through periods that last for maybe a week, where he has daily tantrums that I think border on hysteria sometimes. He started them again about a week ago - which was when I bought the kids a bag of "junk" cereal, which I rarely do. I'm wondering if that could be the cause. We'll definitely look into this possibility. It would be wonderful to know how to prevent these meltdowns, because as scary as they are for me & DH, I can only imagine how much it scares Dean.

I hope your DD doesn't have any more of those episodes!

Advertisement

#5 Due 11/2012 - It's a GIRL!

ashkash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 12:22 PM   #12
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS! YOU JUST TURNED A LIGHTBULB IN MY HEAD! My DD has been having a lot of trouble with motrin, vitamins, strawberry cake mixes, strawberry yogurt etc etc etc...With the motrin and vitamins she cant take them w/out a coughing fit, with the cake mixes, frosting, and yogurt (and other stuff of the sorts) if they touch her skin she breaks out in hives and they make her cough! I had no idea how they were related (although she was obviously allergic) and now I do! I just went though a bunch of stuff in our house that she has trouble with and they all have red dye 40!
There is of course...still the salad dressing allergy haha, haven't figured that one out.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 01:14 PM   #13
Severine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdensmommy
Other than having an adverse reaction to dye the only other thing I can think of was that she had a migraine. I just don't know what else would have caused her to act like that. She is normally a very cuddly and affectionate little girl.
Food sensitivities can cause migraines, so that's very possible. I know that if I eat anything with aspartame in it, I get migraines and it alters my mood in very bad ways.

I actually started a bit of a quest 2 years ago to try to eliminate Red Dye #40 from our diets. It's VERY difficult as it shows up in the least likely places (as does sucralose, but that's a whole other issue). It gets me so angry to see that dye added to things like infant pain reliever.

Severine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 01:37 PM   #14
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severine
It gets me so angry to see that dye added to things like infant pain reliever. :
NO KIDDING! WHY do they need to do that??? Infants don't care about the look of it! And it just stains their cloths if they spit it out.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:38 PM   #15
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

During my research the last couple of days I have discovered that night terrors can result because of food additives (such as red #40). I still don't think it was a night terror but I find the connection very interesting. I am also not happy that during all my reading on night terrors that all of the websites tell parents that they are a perfectly normal part of childhood and not to worry about it, etc. They never mention that a change in diet could possibly alleviate the problem. Perhaps they are a regular part of childhood because regular children are fed junk with addititves and preservatives. Sorry for my rant but the more I am learning about the crap I have been eating and feeding my daughter the more frustrated I am for being duped by the food industry and big dollar marketing.

Jessica

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameransmommy
I am so sorry you are going through this!
Like a PP said, it sounds like a night terror that your DD had in the middle of the night. My niece had these and it is very scary to watch. They used to take her screaming and crying and put her in the car and drive, it was the only way they could get her back to sleep. It lasted about 4 monthes of 3-4 times a week before she finally stopped. It was around you DD ages also.

My dd (19 months) has a red dye sensitivity as well. It was discovered while traveling and giving her an "all-natural" smoothy that was really just dye and sugar. She had a HORRIBLE melt down at seaworld, to the point where we were asked to leave

It is easier to keep the stuff out of our home, but impossible to control what she eats when we are with other children. It makes it easier to deal with the meltdowns if you know the cause and don't blame yourself or her. Just breath momma!
camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:44 PM   #16
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm glad it has been helpful and has raised some awareness. When I get my business website up and going I am going to have a community section with an area about these food dyes. I can not believe all of the things I am reading and how little this information is shared or believed to be pure myth. People can actually go into anaphylactic shock from ingesting red dye and yet it is dismissed as something that could affect the behavior of a child in a more mediocre form.

Someone pointed me in the direction of www.feingold.org if you are interested. The site is aimed at helping parents whose children suffer from ADHD/ADD and other behavioral problems that are a result of food additives/preservatives/etc. I'm not sure I will follow the recommended food program 100% but I am definitely signing up as they give you comprehensive food lists of "safe" foods and foods to avoid that have dye and other things in them. They also have some very good support groups.

Jessica

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkash
I know how scary that kind of hysteria can be. We deal with it off & on with DS#1. I'm so glad you posted about the red dye though, b/c it's something I'm going to have to look into with Dean. He goes through periods that last for maybe a week, where he has daily tantrums that I think border on hysteria sometimes. He started them again about a week ago - which was when I bought the kids a bag of "junk" cereal, which I rarely do. I'm wondering if that could be the cause. We'll definitely look into this possibility. It would be wonderful to know how to prevent these meltdowns, because as scary as they are for me & DH, I can only imagine how much it scares Dean.

I hope your DD doesn't have any more of those episodes!
Old 08-30-2006, 02:51 PM   #17
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It definitely sounds like your DD has a strong sensitivity to red #40. My friend from an AP group discovered her sensitivity after having strawberry milkshakes as well. She gets beligerent and mean and just plain crazy. Another sign of allergy to red #40 is the hives. Keep an eye on her since it sounds like she has an allergy to it and not just an intolerance. Some people's allergy to red #40 is so sensitive that they can go into anaphylactic shock and the allergy can also get worse over time.

I really suggest looking into www.feingold.org since they provide comprehensive lists of foods that don't contain dye and lists of foods to avoid. Red dye can be in things you wouldn't even think of, like fried chicken!

As far as salad dressing goes perhaps she also has an allergy/sensitivity to benzoate - another additive. I found some interesting information at this site: http://allergyadvisor.com/Educational/Aug05_2.htm. Go there and check out the table at the bottom which lists the two derivatives of benzoate and the products they are naturally found in and artificially added to. One of them, of course, is salad dressing.

Sounds like your little girl is very sensitive and would really benefit from a additive and preservative free food program. Let me know if you want to talk. This is all new to me too!

Jessica

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmnJJsMom
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS! YOU JUST TURNED A LIGHTBULB IN MY HEAD! My DD has been having a lot of trouble with motrin, vitamins, strawberry cake mixes, strawberry yogurt etc etc etc...With the motrin and vitamins she cant take them w/out a coughing fit, with the cake mixes, frosting, and yogurt (and other stuff of the sorts) if they touch her skin she breaks out in hives and they make her cough! I had no idea how they were related (although she was obviously allergic) and now I do! I just went though a bunch of stuff in our house that she has trouble with and they all have red dye 40!
There is of course...still the salad dressing allergy haha, haven't figured that one out.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:54 PM   #18
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Because they market it to us and not to our babies. It is sad really. I am starting to get depressed about this whole thing. In my personal opinion so many childhood issues could possibly be alleviated by eliminating all this added junk from food. But then again we are the ones supporting the products but I believe if more people were educated it might change a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmnJJsMom
NO KIDDING! WHY do they need to do that??? Infants don't care about the look of it! And it just stains their cloths if they spit it out.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:56 PM   #19
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am curious, did you try a program like Feingold or anything else? They seem to have some really good lists to help and some good support groups. My next step is to join that program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severine

I actually started a bit of a quest 2 years ago to try to eliminate Red Dye #40 from our diets. It's VERY difficult as it shows up in the least likely places (as does sucralose, but that's a whole other issue). It gets me so angry to see that dye added to things like infant pain reliever.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:07 PM   #20
Luvmybabies
My two cuties :)
sitesupporter
seller

Thanks for the Feingold link - I'm reading it and starting to put pieces together (see my thread Help my 4yo) and wondering if this what my DD's problem is.