Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-11-2007, 09:34 PM   #41
AmyErinBobbysMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Red Dye #40

Wow this does sound very familiar with certain events with dd#1 (4 1/2). Thanks for bringing it up - we will know what to look for next time! Good luck and give her a hug for us.

Advertisement

AmyErinBobbysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:52 AM   #42
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmnJJsMom View Post
Does anyone know where I can find an infant/children's pain reliever that is red dye free? DD hurt her foot and has been limping bad but I don't want to give her the motrin I also would like to know where to get dye-less chewable vitamins.
Our Babies R Us has the dye-free Tylenol.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:58 AM   #43
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdensmommy View Post

I have been reading "The Crazy Makers - How the food industry is destroying our minds and harming our children" it is really good and really, really eye-opening. I always knew the stuff we ate wasn't "good" for us per say but I never knew the extent to how much harm this stuff does and that as each successive generation is exposed the symptoms/reactions get worse. Can you tell this subject has been the only thing on my mind lately?
Once you've read this, do you mind giving us the Cliff Notes version? I'm still researching cow's milk and vaccinations right now. The education necessary to do the best thing for your child is a full time job in and of itself!
Old 03-12-2007, 11:59 AM   #44
usandthegirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can totally relate. We are dealing with the same issues with my middle DD right now.

Her tantrums are exactly like you described your daughters. EXACTLY. We eliminated any artificial colors and most preservatives from her diet and it was amazing. Within a day she was better. This stuff they put in food is seriously hurting kids...I believe that!

She got ahold of a bag of cheetos before i could stop her one day, at Subway. That night? Total meltdown for no reason. Hysterical, out of control.

Saturday we ate out and she got mini-corn dogs and mac and cheese. Again, hysteria. We are out of town right now at my moms, so our diet is crappy due to traveling, etc. I can see a huge difference in her behavior. It's amazing that I didn't think of this before!

Eliminate the stuff and I bet you will have your daughter back!
Old 03-12-2007, 12:03 PM   #45
usandthegirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdensmommy View Post
Thanks for all of the hugs mamas!

I thought she had a night terror too but now I don't really think so. I did some research and night terrors usually last for about 5 - 30 minutes. She was doing this for over two hours. Also, the way they described the terrors is that the child looks awake but they "look past" you or don't make eye contact, etc. Well my daughter was making full eye contact was completely aware of her surroundings (she kept slamming the door in my face) and she was talking. Like she'd throw down her stuffed dog and say "puppy!" or she'd ask for me but then get upset when I'd come near her and she would also answer questions, etc.

Other than having an adverse reaction to dye the only other thing I can think of was that she had a migraine. I just don't know what else would have caused her to act like that. She is normally a very cuddly and affectionate little girl.
you know, this is almost scary to me. Macie does the SAME stuff. Asks for her niqua (Uniqua) then throw it, then screams for her. Screams for me, then when I come tells me to go away, etc etc. It's NOT night terrors, I am with you on that. I am doing some MAJOR dietary changes.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:11 PM   #46
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

wow that is amazing how that stuff cando to a baby
im glad thatyou know the link of her being this way though and now to avoid the red dye
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:34 PM   #47
Cranberrycove
Registered Users
seller

Arrow Re: Red Dye #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaRhi View Post

You do know that red dye 40 is made from a bug right? Its also disguised in ingredients under the name "carmine", not always listed as red dye 40. Its made from the cochineal bug *bleck*
Actually, "carmine" isn't the same thing as Red Dye #40. It is a red dye, but not "Red Dye #40". Red dye 40 is an azo dye (a coal tar derivative), not from a bug. Legally, red dye 40 HAS to be listed in the ingredients. (though I just recently read that if a product is added to another one, the original one doesn't have to list the dye...I think the example was: a company buys strawberries for their ice cream, but may not note in the ingredients that the strawberries in the ice cream contain red dye. sigh!) FYI, yellow #5 is very similar chemically to red#40, and may cause similar reactions. If Red #40 is a problem, check the yellow too.

I've been avoiding red dye #40 for a few years now, ever since discovering that it was the cause of my severe adult onset acne. Now I avoid it for my kids too, just in case. From what I've been reading here, it looks like a wise choice.

There is an excellent website that contains all kinds of great information on Red dye #40. http://red40.com/ Anyone with red dye sensitivities should check it out!