Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-29-2006, 01:34 PM   #1
Severine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Playing devil's advocate here... vax and fish

Just out of curiosity...

Those of you who do not vax, do you allow your children to eat fish?

I'm curious because I see that many do not vax because of the mercury in the vaccinations. Yet if your child eats pretty much any fish, they'll be ingesting mercury anyway.

Just wondering...

ETA: For the record, DD was vax'd up to 12 months of age and has only had fish twice ever (we're not fish eaters). It's unlikely she'll have fish again any time soon, and she will no longer be vax'd. Really, I'm just curious what others' opinions are on this as I have wondered about it for quite some time.

Advertisement

Last edited by Severine; 08-29-2006 at 03:14 PM.
Severine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:44 PM   #2
Mom22girlz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Playing devil's advocate here... vax and fish

I would let my dd eat fish. I have never heard of a child going nonverbal after eating fish but I have heard of them doing that a week or so after shots. THere is way more mercury in the vaccinations then in fish IMO.

Rachel
Old 08-29-2006, 04:30 PM   #3
skayers01
Registered Users

I eat some fish, but not very often. Like once a week.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:12 PM   #4
Drummer's Wife
Registered Users

on occasion. I don't care for it myself though so that's probably why. IMO there's a huge difference in ingesting mercury with the benefit of the liver, kidneys, whole digestive system and injecting mercury straight into the muscle tissue.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:56 PM   #5
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

We don't eat fish in our house. Of course, I think there's definitely a difference in ingesting mercury and it being processed than having it injected straight into your blood, kwim? DS may or may not eat fish. Probably not since I don't cook it (I personally can't stand it), but maybe he'll have it elsewhere when he's much older.
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:15 AM   #6
Severine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for your insight!

Like I said, I just always wondered why one was an issue but not the other. I still worry about the later implications of the vaxs DD did receive (including flu). But I hope the fact that we do not eat fish on a regular basis (only the very occasional tuna) will help mitigate any damages there may be...
Severine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:44 AM   #7
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

There are only about 5 fish that have mercury levels in them worth worrying about and while I do not recall which ones they are they are fish we never eat anyway.

We love to eat salmon about 2 times a month, tilopea, cod, orange roughy, shrimp and crab are our seafood items of choice and they are not on the mercury list.

Our naturopath asked us about that as well and she said that we don't eat enough of these fish/seafood to be a concern anyway.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:02 AM   #8
rpg_mommy
Registered Users

It isn't recomended to give fish to babies until after they turn 1, but look at all the vax's you get before 1 year old. The large fish (king tuna, mackerel, swordfish, shark, etc) are the ones that are high in mercury - little fish like flounder and whiteing don't really have any - and they tell you to avoid those large fish even while pregnant.

We won't give our DS fish till after he's 1 (we eat a LOT of fish/shellfish), but even then it will be small amounts of small fish (not the large breed ones till he's older). We are currently in the midst of researching vax's and trying to decide whether to continue with them at all, or at the very least cut a LOT of them out.
rpg_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:38 AM   #9
crunchy-mama
Registered Users

I do not eat fish (or meat) at all.
My kids eat light tuna rarely. Also keep in mind 3 facts that seperate eating fish from vaccinating:
1. Mercury is nt the only "poison" in vaccines.
2. Vaccines are injected directly into the bloodstream giving mercury a direct route to the brain, whereas fish is not as easily absorbed. Stomach bile breaks down large amounts of the orally ingested mercury.
3. Fish is not generally eaten before 1. Vaccines given to babies are scary because they have not yet developed a blood-brain barrier capale of blocking out these toxins

hth
crunchy-mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:39 AM   #10
crunchy-mama
Registered Users

wanted to add in an article that is about the dangers of mercury in tuna:
http://www.chelationtherapyonline.co...nical/p112.htm
crunchy-mama is offline   Reply With Quote