Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-17-2008, 03:40 PM   #1
LauraA1212
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
3 month old with body odor?

My 3 month old DS has horrible body odor and really bad breath. We bathe him every night sometimes every other night and wipe him down if he spits up. His pee has also started to smell pretty strong... Does anyone know what this could be? Should I be worried or is it normal? This probably isn't related, but he also has reflux and is on previcid, he is still spitting quite often, but gained a little over 2 pounds in one month. Anyone know what could be causing it?

Laura

Advertisement

LauraA1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

Re: 3 month old with body odor?

I have never heard of a child that age having BO, so I can't say I think it's normal, but I don't know that his health is in any danger either. I think I'd take him in to the doc just to see if they can find something wrong. If you're bereastfeeding, maybe something you are eating isn't agreeing with him, and if formula feeding, maybe he needs to try a different kind. Also, I know my DD had a tendency to collect crud behind her ears (even though I thought I was bathing her really well), maybe something's not getting clean enough?
Old 03-17-2008, 06:04 PM   #3
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Could he be dehydrated? Strong urine and bad breath can be symptoms of dehydration, but I don't know about the BO.
tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'd look into food allergies.
Don't feel too bad, ds has horrible foot odor, always has.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:20 PM   #5
ive
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Personally I'd almost think its what your eating. I see your BF and by the way good for you!!! I applaud you for that or not you if not so sorry><.

anyways if you are BF it could be from the milk he's getting from you. and its just leeching out of his skin. switch foods maybe and see if that works.

again so sorry if your not BF
Old 03-17-2008, 08:26 PM   #6
LauraA1212
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I no longer eat any lactose or soy because he can't handle it. My diet has been very simple because of that, the only thing I can think of that may be bothering him is wheat? I eat mostly rice, turkey, some chicken, potatoes, oatmeal and wheat cereal. I don't really know of what else I can eat without soy or lactose so I have been sticking to what I think I know is ok, but its hard. I don't think he is dehydrated, he has trouble nursing so I pump and give bottles in addition to nursing, but he does spit up a lot( I just rented a scale and he spits up to 1.5 ounces at a time after feeding boob or bottle) but his diaper output is still good... I feel like I wash him really well, its mostly his armpits that smell and I wash them so well at each bath I just don't get it!

DH just told me Brian's armpits are really sweaty, but he is in his diaper and the room is cool, not too warm or cold.... And he smells bad. Its a little embarassing! I JUST realized it was my baby that smells and people always comment on how someone in the room smells when they hold him! My poor baby!

I used a little powder on his pits before we went out and it helped but he still smells just not as bad. The poor boy, his feet have always smelled too!
Old 03-17-2008, 08:28 PM   #7
LauraA1212
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ive View Post
Personally I'd almost think its what your eating. I see your BF and by the way good for you!!! I applaud you for that or not you if not so sorry><.

anyways if you are BF it could be from the milk he's getting from you. and its just leeching out of his skin. switch foods maybe and see if that works.

again so sorry if your not BF

I am BF Its been a constant struggle, but we are still going strong!
Old 03-17-2008, 09:18 PM   #8
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Are you eating garlic? Spices could cause an issue too. Then again, he could just be a smelly little boy. (No offense intended)
Old 03-17-2008, 09:23 PM   #9
LauraA1212
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No spices, just salt and pepper. I don't want him to be smelly, thats sad, but he does smell. Should I call his doc? I feel weird asking if she can see him because he smells bad
Old 03-17-2008, 09:24 PM   #10
-Blair-
Registered Users

Perhaps try putting a little bit of baking soda under his armpits RIGHT after a bath. I use it as deodorant [sp?] and it couldn't hurt ...

Currently struggling with infertility (recurrent pregnancy loss).
-Blair- is offline   Reply With Quote