Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-30-2006, 09:47 PM   #11
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Re: BAD Diaper rash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesmom23girls
I just noticed you are from Wisconsin, My SIL lives there, in a tiny town called Avalon in SW Wisconsin.
I am from Milwaukee area, so on the other side, never heard of Avalon!

This is her first rash, so I am kind of waiting to see if she pops some teeth. A friend of mine suggested she might have developed an allergy to fleece I really hope that isn't the case because almost all my diaps are mircrofleece. I don't have any disposables on hand to try them and see if it clears up either.

Advertisement

EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:53 PM   #12
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmnJJsMom
I am from Milwaukee area, so on the other side, never heard of Avalon!
It is teeny tiny, near Janesville. Just north of Rockford IL.

It sounds backwards since Microfleece is supposed to keep the bum dry, but maybe get some scrap of reg cotton (flannel) and lay between her and the microfleece, if she still has the rash then it may not be the fleece. I don't know if that would work or not just a thought.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:03 PM   #13
cicily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What detergent are you using?
cicily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:27 PM   #14
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

I was using sportwash or whatever it's called, and I've been using that since she was 4 months old w/out a problem, the last few days I've been washing them in baking soda alone.

Yesterday I started off by letting her air out after EVERY diaper change, put safflower oil on her bum, let it soak in a bit, then put on a lanolin/petrolium/cornstartch paste that I made and today it looks MUCH better...still don't know what caused it though. Still going to get some raw silk liners.

I know where Janesville is, southwest of here.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:51 PM   #15
skayers01
Registered Users

First, when you change her diaper, only run her butt under water. Wiping just hurts. Use a thin layer of anti funga;l cream and then load on the desitin. That keeps the other cream from being rubbed off. You should keep giving her air time, and keep trying to figure out what caused it, but in the meantime, this should help to improve it. My dd had an awful rash from having 10 days of diareah, and this is what our ped. suggested and it worked wonders. A few months later a baby in the infant room of the school I worked at had an awful rash that they could not get rid or, I had them do the same and it was gone in a couple days. Good luck!
Old 09-01-2006, 12:01 AM   #16
YumaDoula
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd developed a rash that lasted a few weeks and after trying EVERYTHING, i surmised it's a fleece + heat allergy. Also, I started rinsing her with water and a little babysoap after each change, and just let her air dry til she was bone-dry before putting a diap on.

I'm now making the transition to fitteds, mostly OCV and hemp, because I don't want to deal with fleece anymore. Fleece is made of polyester, which is not comfortable in the summer, just my

Looking forward to a new butt to fluff in December!
YumaDoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 10:39 AM   #17
cicily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My bet is that there is buildup of Sportwash. Many moms have had issues with this and it causes awful rashes/sores/detergent burn. My son was one of them who had a bad rash with Sportwash. Since switching to Allen's, we've been rash free for months.
cicily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 11:02 AM   #18
Tasha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have struggled with rashes with DS1 and DD (this was the main reason we switched to CD's!). At our last ped. visit, our new Dr. said he had his own formula for diaper rash, which was basically a 1:1:1 ratio of nystatin, zinc oxide and hydrocortisone cream. This stuff works like a dream, our DD's bottom has never looked better.
Tasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 09:18 PM   #19
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

That's what they gave my first daughter when she had chronic YI's. I don't agree with it because she quickly developed a tolerance to the nystatin, which made it worthless, and I don't like the thought of rubbing steroids on my daughter's butt twice a day like they wanted me to. Antifungal creams would be worthless too because it wasn't yeast. It probably had something to do with the heat. The cream I made worked awesome and her rash is almost completely gone. I don't think it was a buildup of the sportswash because I rinsed them literally 15 times the other day and it didn't help at all. I am thinking to change detergants though, if anyone has suggestions...let me know!
Old 09-04-2006, 08:04 PM   #20
Happywillow
Registered Users
seller

I'm very interested in this thread! DD has had what I think is the same kind of rash. Some burn like and some blisters. We also use sportwash. I will try all of these things that everyone has suggested and see if it helps. I feel so bad for her. I've been putting fleece liners in her fitteds to wick wetness and protect dipes, but maybe I need more silk liners.
Happywillow is offline   Reply With Quote