Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-27-2008, 09:49 PM   #1
Luvmy2boys
Registered Users
Formerly: DebGreen

My Mood:
Weighted blanket info needed

Someone on my local Freecycle group has asked for a weighted blanket for her son. After looking online, I offered to help her make one. I did find a couple of patterns/instructions, but wondered if anyone had any experience making them or could recommend a site for directions.

TIA

BTW, I also think that I want to try one for my own son. He is almost 11 and has only recently been diagnosed with Autism spectrum.

Advertisement

Old 03-27-2008, 09:51 PM   #2
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Weighted blanket info needed

what is a weighted blanket?
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:01 PM   #3
Luvmy2boys
Registered Users
Formerly: DebGreen

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
what is a weighted blanket?
It is a blanket (at least the ones that I found doing research) that has weights (usually poly pellets) evenly distributed in pockets that are enclosed in the blanket. The added weight can help to comfort people with sensory issues.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:47 AM   #4
qtvixen
Registered Users

i think that's awfully nice of you (considering how much those blankets can run). we used a lap pad w/ our OT that seemed to help ds a lot during sessions.
the ones she used were made by another mom there, they were filled w/ sand. she sealed the sand in sandwich bags (gallon) & rolled them into rolls (each pocket was the length of the bag x about 4-5") then made a 'case' about 20" long x the width of the bags, sewed tube-pockets in them, then topstitched the open end. she then placed small velcro tabs on each tube, & made a 'pillow case' to go over the whole thing that could be washed, that was held in place w/ the velcro tabs. the lap pad weighed a total of 5#.
does that make sense? it was super easy once i looked at it.

the blankets look a little more complex; the ones i've seen the most of have pockets of squares, about 4x4" & like you said are usually filled w/ poly pellets. you can find any numerous types of 'weight', even rice, etc & mix match them thru the blanket- depending how much weight you want. basically take the weight & divide it into the blanket (the length/width so you can come up w/ your number of square pockets needed), then the timely thing was making a 'pillow case' (leaving one end open), sewing the pockets (top open) for the first row at the bottom, filling them, sewing across to seal, over & over till your blanket is finished, fill the last row of pockets & topstitch the final end to seal it all up.

the other thing was to make sure you had a sturdy fabric; the lap pads our OT had were made w/ denim & considering they were heavier for their size & had a more compact filling, the fabric needs to be strong enough to handle the weight. the blankets on the other hand, canvas & things like that seem to be light enough to not add too much bulk & sturdy enough to handle the overall weight of the final blanket.
most sites i'd looked at suggested cases for any of these, so they can be washed easily, to be held in place w/ velcro tabs thru-out the surfaces- that way you can make neat/pretty covers.

these ways seemed to be the easiest after going thru lots of sites & looking at a few mass-produced ones. i can work up some sketches for you if that would help you visualize what i've explained here & email them to you if you want. but really they're fairly easy once you can figure out what to fill them with lol.

~marcia~
& my new Angel Robert Logan (4*18*08)~~
qtvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:32 AM   #5
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just wanted to say that is super sweet of you to help this Mama out! Weighted blankets are extremely pricey investments.. not sure what they cost to make, but to buy them is alot of $$! My son has sensory issues and his therapist has highly reccomended that we invest in a weighted blanket for him.. but there is no way we can swing it! I was looking online and they run upwards of $100
Old 04-02-2008, 08:40 PM   #6
swtang25
Registered Users
seller

I made one using weighted doll beads and navy beans. First I sewed my fabric to make a big pocket. Then I sewed vertical rows. I filled each row with a mixture of the beans and beads then sewed that row shut. Then did another row.

Here's a picture.

I used a crib duvet cover set from Ikea. They come with a small pillowcase as well. I also made the pillowcase into a weighted lappad. In the summer I lay that on his back as the weighted blanket makes him hot.
swtang25 is offline   Reply With Quote