Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
firechik105
Registered Users

Unhappy Daycare won't continue my EC

Baby Ethan now 8 months has been using the potty since he was 6 weeks old. I started cloth diapering him when I realized that I was going through disposables for just a little bit of pee. He might poop in his diapers maybe once or twice a week other than that he waits for the potty. I put him on when he wakes from sleep or a nap and every couple of hours or when I see him starting to force or grunt. I LOVE it! It's so much easier than cleaning a poopy bum and he never has a diaper rash! He will be starting daycare soon and no matter how much pleading I do the daycare refuses to try this method. They have no toilet in the nursery section and won't have one person leave the room with him because there would be too many babies for the other to watch. I asked if maybe I could buy them a little potty and could teach Ethan to go on that but was told that it is unsanitary. I find that teaching my baby to poop in his pants then putting it in the garbage is much more unsanitary and seems like more work, however they seem to disagree. I live in a rural area in which there are only 2 daycares, the other one (at a private home) would be thrilled to continue my elimination communication however I've been on the waiting list for both since I first found out I was pregnant and only one now has an opening for me (the one that won't EC). I did come up with a bit of a solution which is that on my lunch hour I can drive over to daycare breastfeed him a bit and bring him to the potty myself and the daycare is fine with that. The only thing is that Ethan doesn't necessarily have to poop at exactly 12:15 everyday and although I will love to see him during lunch, I hate the idea of having to leave him twice everyday.
Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Advertisement

firechik105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Daycare won't continue my EC

I don't ec but I do think the daycare is being reasonable. They are not set up for it. A potty chair would still need to be emptied necessitating a worker leave the room to take care of this. This would require they hire another worker so the room can maintain the infant to adult ratio. The only other option would be to leave the used potty uncleaned until the kids go home. They are right. This is less sanitary than used diapers.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree that the daycare (and probably most others) are not set up to support EC. I don't think they are being unreasonable.

Are you able to search for & interview nannys to get the more unique and personalized care you're looking for?
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

They aren't being unreasonable. It's impossible for daycare to provide the one on one care mom can give a baby, hence it not being the ideal place for a child to grow up. Rather than pleading with them to do something they cannot, can you find ways to trim your budget and make the sacrifices needed to stay home with your baby and raise him and give him the care he needs?
Old 11-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am super pro EC but I agree with PP's. That's totally frustrating though when you are doing so well. I find that the majority of people look at me like I've grown two heads when I try to explain EC...heck, most people think cloth diapers are crazy. Hopefully there will be an opening just in time with that other daycare! If you continue at home your baby will likely hit a point that he just won't tolerate diapers. I switched DS to full time EC at 14 months and it only took a month or two before he straight up would not wear diapers. We still had accidents now and then I just always made sure to have a ton of changes of clothing. It's like asking a fully potty trained person to poop in a diaper...they just won't.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
sylverstarz17
Registered Users

My Mood:
I can relate to this. My DS is almost 8 months and we started EC when he started solids. His poos became pretty firm (flippable but not hard) and its just easier for him and he's happier going on the potty. He's only at daycare from 8:30AM-1:30PM so most the time he doesn't need to go during that time but the teachers did make a big deal past week when he did. Said he screamed and acted like he was in pain when he pooed. They thought he was constipated and just couldn't understand when I tried explaining that he was just upset about having to use his diaper. You would have thought I had three heads... I'd love if they'd keep up what's working for us at home but I know realistically, it'd probably never happen.
sylverstarz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

I just want to say we love our nanny. She is more expensive than a daycare, but I feel so good about how my son is being cared for while I'm at work. She is completely pro-cloth diapering, she has taught him a foreign language, and she has way more energy and patience than I do most days. Daycare is cheaper for a reason--it's not bad childcare, it just isn't personalized to do what you would do as mom.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
mamaspice
Registered Users

Could they potty him onto a diaper and put it in the wet bag?
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #9
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaspice View Post
Could they potty him onto a diaper and put it in the wet bag?
That's a great idea! Or even a sposie and toss it if they won't do cloth.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:41 PM   #10
mamaspice
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterisntsomething

That's a great idea! Or even a sposie and toss it if they won't do cloth.
Maybe the potette plus with the disposable potty bags? That seems like it would pass their sanitation requirements, its just getting then onboard with offering. Maybe ask if they will do it at normal diaper changing times or after nap.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote