Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:15 PM   #31
TheBeeNest
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Share how you got started ECing and EC tips

So...is does "better late than never" apply to this? LOL DD2 will be 1 next week and I'd LOVE to give it a shot!
Also, do babies typically get COMPLETELY out of diapers sooner if they EC?

Advertisement

TheBeeNest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:30 AM   #32
justjacqueline
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would like to do this also with my March 09 baby A little nervous though. I know with my son (he is five) if he sits on the potty we still have to direct his little thing downward or the pee flies everywhere (this is if he also has to go poop otherwise he stands and aims) BUT with an infant boy do you have to direct it also? I don't really get it. Can you not just sit them or hold them over the toilet (provided you use an insert for the seat)
justjacqueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:35 PM   #33
motheatscloth
Registered Users

We started EC at 1 and a half weeks. Someone gave me the book "Diaper Free" when my DS was one week old, and it took me a week to read it. Man that book really got under my skin and I started immediately, before I even finished it. It got me pooped and peed on a couple times in the beginning but we got the hang of it now, he's 12 weeks old and have only had a 3 or 4 poopy diapers in the past month. The few misses, he'll stop and wait to finish on the potty if I notice. Or if someone else is watching him he knows to just go in his diaper. He always pees when I hold him over the BBLP or any toilet. I was amazed when we were on a long road trip over the holidays and he waited for a rest stop and pooped in a public toilet.
First I ask if he has to go potty (or poopoopeepee), with asl sign for potty. Then on the potty when he goes I make a psst sound and say pee pee or number one, while holding up one finger, or grunt and say "poo poo number 2" with 2 fingers if i can manage it.... so glad we found out about EC!!!
motheatscloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:43 PM   #34
motheatscloth
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjacqueline View Post
BUT with an infant boy do you have to direct it also? I don't really get it. Can you not just sit them or hold them over the toilet (provided you use an insert for the seat)
I sorta just aim the whole baby but the little potty has a spllash guard that works pretty good.
motheatscloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #35
slingnanay
Registered Users

My Mood:

I looked at diaperfreebaby.com

There are 2 Diaper Free books there..
One by Ingrid Bauer and the other by Christine Gross-Loh

Which book do you guys recommend?

Thanks! I have a lo due March 09.. and would like to try EC ASAP
slingnanay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:30 PM   #36
boosiesmommy
Registered Users

What does BBLP stand for? Thanks!
boosiesmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:10 PM   #37
hbhall_82
Registered Users

I've been trying out EC for a few weeks, when I started CDing. My DS is now 6 months old. Right now I hold him on the bathroom counter or over the sink. When I notice he starts to pee I will move his body to get the stream into the sink if it's not. It's usually too much to try to hold him steady and direct his penis. The pee usually hits a leg and runs down anyways. We've been washing a lot more socks recently

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjacqueline View Post
I would like to do this also with my March 09 baby A little nervous though. I know with my son (he is five) if he sits on the potty we still have to direct his little thing downward or the pee flies everywhere (this is if he also has to go poop otherwise he stands and aims) BUT with an infant boy do you have to direct it also? I don't really get it. Can you not just sit them or hold them over the toilet (provided you use an insert for the seat)
hbhall_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:10 PM   #38
hbhall_82
Registered Users

Baby Bjorn Little Potty, costs about $13 at Babies R Us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosiesmommy View Post
What does BBLP stand for? Thanks!
hbhall_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:04 AM   #39
JenWithTriplets
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DH and I were just talking about when to start. I told him we had to do it sooner or later, might as well start now. I am home all day, might as well! Is too late start EC with mine? They are 16 months, but a little behind. What book do you recommend? Would the little potty be OK, or should I get the BBLP?
Old 05-11-2009, 01:45 PM   #40
R055ANA
Registered Users

I found out about EC when I was preg with my 3rd DD. We started it soon after she was born and it has been a great journey. She is now 4yrs old.

We started by holding her over a little container after I finished nursing. I had read that it was best to use cloth diapers but we already had disposables. I would try to keep her in a dry dipe as often as possible and offer her the opportunity to go whenever I could. We got our first catches after a feed and when she just woke up from a nap.

I also noticed in the beginning when she was nursing she would pop on and off and didn't seem comfortable. This was a cue that she needed to go. Some moms who don't know about EC think it is a nursing difficulty.

As she got older, she enjoyed peeing in different locations. Sometimes it would be looking out the window, other times we went outside.

As for cueing some families use sign language in addition to the verbal cue. That way the child can repeat that sign to the parent (this happens before they are able to talk).

With DD#4, we also started EC when she was first born. I decided to use cloth prefolds as back up and again it is amazing how this TRULY works.

I love how my babies who are not speaking are able to communicate the need to eliminate.

I love catching her poops in my plastic tupperware container and just washing it out in the sink compared to wiping my older girls all over to scrape that poop off them.

Another beauty of EC is that you can buy as little as you like. You don't need a specific potty or anything else. You can use what you already have at home.

Wearing my girls in a carrier also helped with EC. Some babies are less likely to soil the 'nest' and my DD would squirm in the sling when she needed to go.

I also recommend the EC books mentioned.

EC can be difficult when your spouse or other family members are not receptive to it. My husband wasn't happy about my idea to EC intially but now he is definitely on board. Turn out he was ECed as child in Jamaica. Some change their minds after seeing it in action or reading more about it.

There are so many good reasons to EC like:
-healthy for the baby -less diaper rash
-more fun that changing a dirty diaper
-better for the environment
-saves families money

Rossana
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote