Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2010, 10:24 AM   #61
allybc
Registered Users

Re: Share how you got started ECing and EC tips

wow this is amazing... I just stumbled on this forum... I am so interested, I guess i'll have to get a book

Advertisement

Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you.
allybc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #62
jmzovolz08
Registered Users

My Mood:

What's the name of the book? My little one is 16 months and I'm trying to figure something out for her.
jmzovolz08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #63
catsndognbaby
Registered Users

Smile Re: Share how you got started ECing and EC tips

It is SOOO refreshing to see that other mamas are out there ECing I have gotten some good ideas from other things some of you have said in the forum. I have 2 babies- DD is almost two and DS is one month old. Right after DD was born, I was browsing through books at the library and I found "Diaper Free- the Gentle Wisdom of Natural Infant Hygiene"- I thought it looked crazy, but I'd check it out and see what it was suggesting. I got into it and realized hey, this makes sense! there's a whole world out there that doesn't rely on diapering!!! So I went out and bought the book and started to try it out with DD diaper free for a few days with her while I was still on my 6weeks maternity leave. It was so great to feel like I was communicating with her and bonding, and granted, I went through TONS of laundry, but it was definitely worth it. When I went back to work (fulltime teacher), I decided I would just keep practicing the cues with her and I'd do more pottytraining with her over the summer when she would be about 4 months old...

Well, then we moved and I was busy with packing and painting and I had lots of other excuses, and the potty training thing just kind of got shoved to the side. So I went back to work for the next school year and I felt completely HORRIBLE for using disposable dipes with her, but I thought well this is just the way it has to be since my daycare doesn't go for the CDing. Well, around Christmas 08- when DD was 9.5 mo., I decided to give ECing another try. I went in search of some other books that recommended the same method- "Infant Potty Training" by Boucke is awesome and "Early Start Potty-Training" is also really good. These books made me realize that I should try to at least do part time EC. 9.5 mo. is a little late to start EC, but I figured it was worth a try, since DD knew the cues already.... she knew how to say pf which meant poop and she knew what pee meant. I figured we'd have a goal of being out of diapers by age two... and if we met it, great... if not, that's ok too.... at least we gave it our best shot and we'd be better off than starting at age 2 or 3

So now, here I am... a year and 3 months later. DD turns 2 this week. We've had good days and not so good days. Yesterday she stayed dry in her training panties all day (even her nap) until the grandparents came over in the evening and she had a couple misses cause she was distracted. She's not completely out of disp. pullups- she uses those for nighttime. But when she's home with us during the day, she is using cloth training panties. She goes pee on the potty for daycare, but for some reason, she doesn't want to go poop on the potty there.... not exactly sure why but when she's there, she's been using only one or two disposable pullups a day (for the poopys).

DD took a couple steps backward when we brought home baby #2 (DS) but things have been going better the last few days. I think she's got this pottytraining thing down.... it's just a process. Anybody have ideas for getting her out of the nighttime diaper? I'm finding it harder to focus on her since I have a newborn. Also, I would like to do PT EC with my new one, do any of you recommend anything? He's a boy, and I'm finding it a little harder to cleanly observe his patterns, since he fountains. I've been using mainly cloth diapers with him since I've been home on mat. leave.... but I'm going back to work soon.... mixed feelings about that. We are considering switching daycare to a friend that is more open to CDing and ECing. I know a few things about CDing, but I'm still a beginner... do any of you have recommendations for one size CDs that work well for ECing? It needs to be something simple in case they do let us use them at daycare and DH needs something simple too... I'm considering gro baby diapers and bumgenius 3.0 one size. Thoughts, anyone?
catsndognbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:11 PM   #64
catsndognbaby
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotzurk View Post
What is a BBLP?
BBLP is a Baby Bjorn Little Potty I believe.... I used one too when I started ECing
catsndognbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:55 AM   #65
PirateMomof2
Registered Users

What is BBLP? Thanks
PirateMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:32 PM   #66
MySillyBearCub
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikotinkma View Post
What's EC?
Elimination Communication, Infant Potty Training, Natural Infant Hygiene, Potty Whispering

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateMomof2 View Post
What is BBLP? Thanks
Baby Bjorn Little Potty

I ordered one off FG for his 1st birthday... can't wait to get it but in the mean time might try to hold him over the potty for now.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:24 PM   #67
DaphneAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What makes the baby bjorn so great? Wouldn't any potty do?

I started casually doing ec with Adeline at 4 days old. She is 3 months now and I am holding her over the potty more often. I am still learning about ec. Mostly I have been taking her to the potty when I go to change her and she is still dry.
DaphneAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:06 AM   #68
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaphneAnn View Post
What makes the baby bjorn so great? Wouldn't any potty do?
Sure, almost any potty could do unless it's too big (I use a potty bowl from a Safety First potty.) But the BBLP is tiny (great for little babies!) and comes in one piece! I love it for both my 22 month old son and 8 month old daughter
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:14 AM   #69
gobiidae
Registered Users

I started ECing with my oldest daughter when we brought her home from China at 13 months old. She was already used to split pants (had never been in a diaper until she became our daughter), so we just stuck with it. She was completely potty trained at 23 months.
gobiidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:43 PM   #70
R0xyg4l
Registered Users

Hello! I'm a mama of a 7yo and 10wk old, both princesses. I had seen stuff on TV about EC before and thought it seemed ludacris. A few days ago I was talking to my DH that I always change our DD right before her noontime feeding and she always goes poo after and it gets everywhere. I jokingly said I should put her on the potty! We both chuckled and went about our evening. Then Friday I got the vibes that she was about to go poo. So I smirked and put her on the big potty. She looked around then within like 30 secs beared down and went poo... then pee.. then a lil more poo. I sat there thinking it was surreal. I was so proud of both of us and I texted my DH, some family and close friends. I even took a picture of the poo as I knew no one would believe me. My GF texted me back asking me if I was an EC mama... I told her I had no idea what she was talking about. She explained, since I've been doing research thinking this is def worth trying. I've been telling my DH about it and he was skeptical. So today (Saturday) I was showing him how to do it. I took a large plastic measuring cup witth a handle fresh out of the dishwasher and still warm. I sat my LO on it with my legs closed around itthen I cued her going pssstt. I was in the process of explaining it all then looked down and she had gone pee!now I'm so past intrigued to continue. I called my mom and she didn't believe me lol... she then told me that my Grandma had her potty trained by 9 mos. I'm at work now and almost can't wait to get home to keep trying!
R0xyg4l is offline   Reply With Quote