Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-13-2008, 08:29 AM   #1
odentonmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Are private messages private?

I rec'd a PM yesterday from someone I didn't know. You could call it spam. I read it and I am 99.9% sure that I left it in my box like I do with all messages. When I looked in my box today, it was gone. I don't need the information (I have read it elsewhere before), but I care because I feel weird that a message would be missing from my box. Does admin have access to our PMs? If yes, under what circumstances do they interfere with our PMs?

Advertisement

Help Keep Dr. Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Clinic open, click here for info & to donate.

Last edited by odentonmom; 03-13-2008 at 08:30 AM. Reason: typo
odentonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:32 AM   #2
Bugaboo Bottoms
In a HUGE Pile of Wool!
seller

My Mood:
Re: Are private messages private?

you can read up on it here...I am not going to comment

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=363184
Bugaboo Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:40 AM   #3
Deanner03
"Life's tough. Get a helmet."
seller

My Mood:

If a person is KNOWN to be spamming in mass quantities, they can delete them. They cannot read your pm's though.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:43 AM   #4
odentonmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

After reading the link that PP mentioned, I understand what happened. But, with all that is going on recently, it still feels a little strange.
Help Keep Dr. Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Clinic open, click here for info & to donate.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:49 AM   #5
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

Well, if you don't trust the Admin and believe that they cannot read your PM's, then don't keep anything in your PM box you wouldn't want anyone else to see. That's just a good rule of thumb for anything you have on the internet.

But think about it... There are people out there that can hack in to anything, so it just proves that nothing on the internet is 100% safe or fool proof. I don't think Admin would have a reason to go searching through PM's, would they? I'm sure they have much more important things going on.

The SPAM that was sent was removed manually through the data base--not through individual boxes. That would have taken so long to do it that way.
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:10 AM   #6
odentonmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tararaboomdeea View Post
Well, if you don't trust the Admin and believe that they cannot read your PM's, then don't keep anything in your PM box you wouldn't want anyone else to see. That's just a good rule of thumb for anything you have on the internet.

But think about it... There are people out there that can hack in to anything, so it just proves that nothing on the internet is 100% safe or fool proof. I don't think Admin would have a reason to go searching through PM's, would they? I'm sure they have much more important things going on.

The SPAM that was sent was removed manually through the data base--not through individual boxes. That would have taken so long to do it that way.
I know that. I wouldn't type anything on an internet forum such as this, if I couldn't deal with it becoming public knowledge. That is not what I am referring to.

I am not concerned from a privacy/security standpoint, more of a privacy/freedom to your own opinion standpoint. If you can be banned for posting an opinion in a thread, I am wondering if your PMs can also be a reason to ban? Of course, they can be if you are spamming people, but I am wondering if emails between members could also. KWIM?

Also, with the new rule about keeping private messages private, it seemed like an odd turn of events.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:29 AM   #7
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nobody's going to go reading member PM's--we have neither the time nor the ability. The only time we'd have access to a PM is if someone forwarded it to us. I'd think they'd only fwd a PM to us if it were a concern, transaction issue, something inappropriate, etc. Beyond that, your private conversations w/ other members are private & will stay that way.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:41 AM   #8
Trishalynn
Banned
seller

My Mood:

you see the thing is, we can say no one can read your pm's all you want, but we just found out they can go in and delete them, so whats to stop them from reading? Sorry after pm's getting deleted i really don't have much trust for the "no ones reading your pm's" theory!
Trishalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:07 PM   #9
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trishalynn View Post
you see the thing is, we can say no one can read your pm's all you want, but we just found out they can go in and delete them, so whats to stop them from reading? Sorry after pm's getting deleted i really don't have much trust for the "no ones reading your pm's" theory!
(grrr--service dropped and I lost my response. Trying again...)

I'd imagine that there's nothing to 'stop' someone from getting to your PMs if they really wanted to, just as it's possible for someone to hack into my PP acct. or take my mail from my porch. Rather than worrying about conspiracy theories or the small chance that these things COULD happen, I keep my eyes open and informed and try to enjoy my daily life w/ precautions.
I read up on PP phishing schemes so I know what to avoid--if someone hacks my acct., I'll close it.
I have important pkgs insured w/ signature required, as well as a 'safe' spot for lg. package delivery--if someone starts snatching my mail, I'll rent a PO box.
I make sure what I write in PMs is appropriate and nothing I'd die of embarassment over if they were hacked. I take uber private conversations (which I don't think I ever have on here anyway) to email or phone and pay attn. to what's going on around here. I trust the admin/mod staff that I 'work' with and believe them when they say they have no time/desire/ability to read my PMs.
Unless I see proof to the contrary, I believe my PMs are safe & hope you find peace to believe the same.

ETA--I found reason to distrust another site owner from my own interaction w/ that person and left the forum and never looked back. I won't stay somewhere that I don't feel safe or comfortable. You're a valued member of THIS forum and I hope you are able to trust your privacy and continue to enjoy all that DS has to offer.

Last edited by beenwaitingalongtime; 03-13-2008 at 01:11 PM.
beenwaitingalongtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:10 PM   #10
Khourtniey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Im just curious what people are sharing in their pms that is so secretive or that they are worried about somebody reading.. If its that secretive I think people should keep it to themselves...
Khourtniey is offline   Reply With Quote