Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2008, 09:00 PM   #11
sweetpea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Are we hurting her by holding her too much?

our babies are less than a week apart (eli was born the 11th)... they are only babies once so im living it up while he still wants to cuddle because there will come a day, sooner than i want, that the last thing he wants to do is hang out with mama. mama if you are worried about the development of your child talk with your ped at the next apt (might be coming up since we have one next month for the 6month check up). but be careful not to compare your baby to others too much. oh and by the way sinnai is such an AWESOME name!

Advertisement

sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:02 PM   #12
monicajoy1979
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone! I thought the same things, but I am new to this parenting thing and I am always worried I am doing something major wrong. Thanks for all your input!

monicajoy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:08 PM   #13
Florida_Jen
Registered Users

My Mood:

I won't hurt her.

My DD is just 5 days younger than yours. She loves being held and I have been carrying her in my mei tai since she was just a couple of weeks old. My Ped was actually happy that she spends a large part of the day in there since being carried that way they are exposed to so much more and are stimulated by you more than hanging out on the floor all day.
Florida_Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:22 PM   #14
jveprek
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I actually read a great quote. I can't remember it exactly, but here is the general idea

Babies spend 100% of their time snuggling up to you in the womb. Any time not spent in your arms is a rip-off for them!!

So I totally botched it, but you get the idea . You are fine!!!
jveprek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:31 PM   #15
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

we held ds almost all the time when he was new (less now that hes getting mobile) he rolled just before 3 months, sat unassisted right before 5. hes just past 5 months now, and trying his hardest to crawl. hes got that butt in the air, face in the floor thing going on, lol.

you cant hold them too much

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:49 PM   #16
DivineNature
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay, please don't flame me. lol

If you (general you) have a baby who is learning to roll and sit and crawl and walk then they are not being held 100% of the time. That is great, imo.

If they were being held 100% of the time (literally) and not learning to roll/crawl/sit/stand/walk then YES, they would be held too much. Like the pp's example with the babe who couldn't hold its head up. ETA: I think it would be pretty rare for someone to actually hold their baby too much.

I'm getting ragged on a lot lately from ladies at church for always holding my baby. I used to wear him at church, but he wants more freedom now. I just have a hard time putting him on the filthy church floor. So, yeah, I feel your pain...and this is my THIRD baby! It really never ends for mothers.
You haven't joined SWAGBUCKS yet? JOIN NOW & earn prizes!

Last edited by DivineNature; 03-12-2008 at 10:50 PM.
DivineNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:54 PM   #17
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In general, I think you just need to do what works for you and ignore other people. I will say I've seen babies who are held all the time have a hard time learning to accept NOT being held all the time later in life. My son was sort of like that. I think it's our job to help them learn they can play by themselves for a little bit to (a couple minutes, not like an hour or something!). KWIM? But as long as she does play and entertain herself a few minutes a day and she's learning that that is okay as well, I don't see a thing wrong with holding her all the time. You're right, she's not going to want to be held forever and really, holding her creates a tight bond with her.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:37 AM   #18
foxygoober
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think you can hold babies too much, however I now have a 3 year old that wants to be held in the mornings . . .I don't mind holding him (he's only 28lbs) but hubby thinks I'm babying him (yea, well he's only 3)
Old 03-13-2008, 05:06 AM   #19
mum2James&Julia
Registered Users
Formerly: mum2James&Bean
seller

My Mood:

Goodness gracious no! In fact, I attribute my kids' extreme earliness in terms of gross motor skills to the fact that I held them so much as babies. We don't even own a jolly jumper or bouncy seat anything. Like another pp said, the kids have to work to help keep themselves upright when they're being held. I rarely used my sling or mei tai while in the house though, so they got used to being carried on my hip very early. James crawled at 4.5 months, walked at 10 months, and Julia crawled at 5.5 months and took her first steps at 7.5 months
Old 03-13-2008, 07:49 AM   #20
njbeachgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nope. When she is ready for more "down" time she will let you know. My baby was practically always held or in a sling until she got good at crawling. We of course did the tummy time and all that but mostly she was held. When she was bigger she would signal that she wanted to be down. She has had all her milestones on time or early and talked very early. At almost 15 months she is extremely verbal! I attribute that to always being around adults, having a lot of interaction and hearing us talk, and watching us do things.