Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-30-2006, 09:56 PM   #1
presleycaedmon
Registered Users
seller

Urgent Pumping Question! HELP!!

So I would like to, you know, have a minute to myself every once in a while so a month or so ago I decided I would buy a pump so that I could save up some milk on the off chance that DD would actually take a bottle.

Unfortunately DD has never gotten the chance to try a bottle. When I try (and I have tried many times) to pump nothing comes out. Not a drop, not a drip, nothing. I know that DD is getting plenty of milk because she's chunky and she's a super soaker. So I KNOW there's something in there, it just will not come out for the pump.

What do I do?!?!

Advertisement

Old 08-30-2006, 10:03 PM   #2
Sabey-baby
Registered Users
seller

Re: Urgent Pumping Question! HELP!!

What kind of a pump are you using? I have a Medela PIS, and its a fairly strong pump. Even then, it takes a good full minute at a MINIMUM for my milk to respond--even a drip. I have never been able to hand express my milk, and I doubt a manual pump would work for me for those reasons.

With my PIS, though it takes a few minutes to get going, it eventually does let down and I get a good amount. Another thing, I have to relax and concentrate on the task at hand. I can't just sit down and pump and think about other things. At least not until its come down. I have to close my eyes, relax my body and picture myself nursing my baby. I pump at work, though, so that might be part of the reason that I have to do all that--I've been distracted by non-kid stuff all day.

Good luck. I consider pumping a necessary evil. lol. Love breastfeeding, HATE pumping. bleck (hmmm, my attitude toward the pump might have something to do with it, too....)
1/10/03, 2/2/06, 7/17/08, #12/19/11
I sew.
Sabey-baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:10 PM   #3
presleycaedmon
Registered Users
seller

I've got a...um...well crap I don't know what it is and I'm too tired to go look! LOL I know it's an evenflo and it's dual and it's electric. That's about all I can recall right now. With DS I had an Avent manual pump and it worked just fine so I'm way confused as to why this is totally not working for me!
Old 08-30-2006, 10:18 PM   #4
A'smommy
Registered Users

could be not waiting long enough?
or not positioned correctly?
maybe you're not relaxed enough? i've read looking at a picture of the baby or having some of their clothing nearby (for their scent) helps. i used to pump sometimes while dd napped nearby in her swing.
--K
A'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:26 PM   #5
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:

It's not working because evenflo pumps are a piece of crap! gerber and evenflo pumps do NOT work! Medela or avent are your better choice also...if you are talented enough you can nurse your DD on one side and pump on the other, i didn't do it very often, but i always produced a lot more that the baby sucking makes you letdown! best of luck
Old 08-30-2006, 10:26 PM   #6
halyled
Registered Users
seller

This may sound weird, but I find that sometimes closing my eyes and kinda focusing on breathing in slowly/deeply helps me relax enough to let down for the pump (and sometimes for baby, too).

halyled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:28 PM   #7
presleycaedmon
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieLyn
It's not working because evenflo pumps are a piece of crap! gerber and evenflo pumps do NOT work! Medela or avent are your better choice also...if you are talented enough you can nurse your DD on one side and pump on the other, i didn't do it very often, but i always produced a lot more that the baby sucking makes you letdown! best of luck
Well that's just great!

So...anyone wanna buy a slightly used crappy pump?! LOL
Old 08-30-2006, 10:30 PM   #8
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:

LoL i bought an evenflo with my first baby! i understand, i don't even know how they can sell those things!
Old 08-30-2006, 10:33 PM   #9
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

I have had really good success w/ the Avent manual pump. It is great becuase it is relatively inexpensive and since you don't need to use it multiple times a day it may be a good option. Sorry your pump isn't a good one.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:35 PM   #10
presleycaedmon
Registered Users
seller

I'm pretty sure I still have my manual Avant pump laying around somewhere. I just don't have any bottles/storage containers left for it.

Bleh.