Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-30-2006, 10:38 PM   #11
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:
Re: Urgent Pumping Question! HELP!!

would a regular bottle screw into it? i guess it depends on what kind of bottles you use...

Advertisement

Old 08-30-2006, 10:41 PM   #12
halyled
Registered Users
seller

Along the line of thinking that let-down may be the problem...have you tried manually stimulating letdown with hand expression? or compressions? I think there is info on the lalecheleage website about both.

halyled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:50 PM   #13
presleycaedmon
Registered Users
seller

Only Avent bottles will screw into it because, of course, Avant has odd shapped bottles. However, even if a "normal" bottle would screw into it, I don't happen to have any bottles of any sort! LOL

I haven't tried hand expression because I don't have the faintest clue how to do it! LOL However, I'm going to an LLL meeting with another DS mama (YAY!) in a few weeks. Maybe I'll take both of my pumps and see if I can't get some advice!
Old 08-30-2006, 10:58 PM   #14
halyled
Registered Users
seller

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBMarApr96p51.html

Scroll all the way down and you'll find instructions. It takes some experimentation, but it does work. In any case, I hope you find something that works.

halyled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 07:16 AM   #15
rpg_mommy
Registered Users

I have a Medella PIS and have been pumping at work for the past 7 months since I went back full time ( only one more month of that though! ) and VERY rarely will I get letdown without doing some manual stimulation first. I usually have to tug on my nipples for about 10-15 seconds, until a little milk is flowing, then I can hook up to the pump and get a good letdown. And yes, like the PPs said, close your eyes and imagine your baby nursing - you gotta relax for it to work well. I've had days when I was super uptight at work and my boobs were FULL and not a DROP came out. Had to sit there for about 5 minutes just making myself breath deep and thinking of my little baby.

HTH!
rpg_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 10:45 AM   #16
rebeccah5
Behold: The Official Thread-Killer
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieLyn
would a regular bottle screw into it? i guess it depends on what kind of bottles you use...
I think they have a sort of "converter" that screws in so you can use it with a regular bottle. If not, you could always pump into an Avent bottle and store it in a regular bottle or one of those breastmilk bags.
Check out my knitting projects here and my stash here
rebeccah5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:19 PM   #17
Sabey-baby
Registered Users
seller

If you have bags, could you attatch them to the pump using an elastic band? And if you don't have bags and you don't have bottles, what on earth were you trying to pump into? lol
1/10/03, 2/2/06, 7/17/08, #12/19/11
I sew.
Sabey-baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 04:35 PM   #18
presleycaedmon
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabey-baby
If you have bags, could you attatch them to the pump using an elastic band? And if you don't have bags and you don't have bottles, what on earth were you trying to pump into? lol
LOL Good question! I'm trying to pump into the "bottles" (ie. containers) that came with the evenflow pump.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:10 AM   #19
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Try pumping while your DD is nursing! Thats how ive built my stast of EBM that I'll need when I go back to school. Its kind of tricky but it works. I'll only be away from her long enough to pump 1 day a week. So hopefully Ill do well pumping w/out her

Another good pump is the lansinoh pump. Its the same as the ameda. love love love it
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 08:51 AM   #20
Katelyn'sMomma
Registered Users
seller

I was in this same boat just about 3 weeks ago. Ok, I did get a drip or two into the bottle but not much more! Everyone told me to pump after the baby was done nursing and I would do it when she was napping. I think the biggest thing was I was so worried about the baby waking up and being hungry and that I would have to feed her what I just pumped to satisfy her! Just relax, maybe read a book and I think it helps if I don't watch to see if any milk is coming out. That just raises my anxiety! It does take a few minutes for the milk to come out. Then it does, then it doesn't, then it does, etc. I have a Medela PIS and you can adjust the speed of pumping. I was told that sometimes if you start at slow and bump it up a few notches, vary the speed, it feels more like your baby is nursing than the "electric baby" imposter. If your child is older now and they have never taken a bottle, you may be pumping for nothing. I waited about 6 weeks to give my DD a bottle, until she was a confident nurser, and she still refuses 3 weeks later. It is a big screaming war everytime I even bring the bottle to her lips! Any one have any advice? I tried Avent bottles (which are supposed to be the closest to the breast) and Dr. Browns. The few times that she has calmed down enough to have it in her mouth, without screaming, she chews up and down on the nipple and can't get her tongue and lips in the right spot. Very frustrating! Especially when I go back to work (max 4 hours each day) in 2 weeks! Good luck on the pumping!!!
Katelyn'sMomma is offline   Reply With Quote