Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-15-2008, 06:50 PM   #1
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Anyone have kids who react to food colorings/additives??

My 2 1/2 year old son has had problems with dairy and soy since birth. He usually eats hidden dairy now and probably shouldn't. He has always been a very spirited entergetic child. He has never slept much, most days he gets 10-11 hours of sleep total. He has meltdown after meltdown most days. He also has seasonal/enviromental allergies and had to go on meds at 8 months.

We are doing an allergy elimination treatment (NAET) with my second son, who is seeming to be intolerant to TONS of foods. We are hoping to do it on ds1...we tried today and he would not sit on my lap or next to me. He does accupressure and muscle response testing through me, I just have to have skin to skin contact with the boys. It was awful he doesn't sit well ever and we drive an hour to get there, I was so upset. I was in tears on the way home I can't even take him into public with him bouncing off the wall and then melting down and his fits are bad and loud.

I was talking with the accupunturist who does the treatment and he reccomended that I cut all coloring/additives out his diet as well as all dairy and soy to see if that helps him hyperactivity and meltdowns.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever dealt with this and if there was any other kind of supplements or anything I can do for him.

Advertisement

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:53 PM   #2
momto3Es
Registered Users
Formerly: momto2Es
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone have kids who react to food colorings/additives??

We eliminated red40 & yellow5 from my DS's diet & noticed a DRAMATIC difference in his behavior. And we can tell when he accidentally gets something with red dye in it!

www.red40.com is the site that was recommended to me.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto2Es View Post
We eliminated red40 & yellow5 from my DS's diet & noticed a DRAMATIC difference in his behavior. And we can tell when he accidentally gets something with red dye in it!

www.red40.com is the site that was recommended to me.
Really wow thanks for the website. Was kind of behavior issues did it help with him??

Old 03-15-2008, 07:24 PM   #4
Foofie357
Registered Users
seller

I have a 3.5 year old and we avoid all food dyes/colorings. Before I found out that he was sensitive to the colorings, he would be bouncing off the walls and melt-down/temper-tantrum over the dumbest things. He would seriously throw a huge tantrum over how many squirts of soap he had or if he didn't get to put the drain down on the tub. He was a very difficult child who had zero attention span. He wouldn't have the attention to read a book with me .

Someone suggested taking away red dye 40, and I tried that and noticed a difference. I also noticed a difference when he would drink minute main lemonade(yellow dye) at church, so I went cold turkey. No food dyes at all. He was a different child! He would play by himself and not run around like a nut the whole time.

I eventually noticed that he reacts to 'natural' food dyes-annato, red cabbage leaves, tumeric..etc. So, we avoid those too.

He is a totally different kid now! And let me tell you I am a totally different Mom.

Some symptoms that he has on dye:
1. He walks on his toes-it's like his pain tolerance is higher
2. He makes noises over and over-often uncontrollable. Could be a clicking, grunting or tonight it was TTTTToys over and over.
3. Can't sit still.
4. Will not make eye contact.
5. He does not care how many times he is punished. He will do it over and over and over.
6. His speech is jumbled. He is in speech therapy and has made huge improvements off the dye. It seems like the dye was stunting his verbal ability in some way.

Anyway, I hope that helps. PM if you have any other questions, I am happy to help!

Steff
Foofie357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:53 PM   #5
lil'mommakaye
Registered Users
seller

dyes and additives IMO wreck havoc on childrens systems!! not only their immune systems but also their horimones& nerves. many of my siblings growing up had intolerances to dyes and my mother said she cut all of that out of our diets and saw dramatic resultes! Esp w/ my younger brother who was dx'd w/ adhd and add. many of my sibling have the disorder but were treated through natural ways like food consumption ect. my younger bro ended up on ritelin messed him up big time! but thats besodes the point! cut the additives i say! organics help too! some children also do well cutting glutin and wheat also BTW hope somthing helps for you! good luck and blessings!

Krystal
Momma to 99, 07 & Stella Grace 10/28/10
~My Star In Heaven~
lil'mommakaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:18 PM   #6
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

That's a main point in the Feingold diet, which is the well-known diet for children with kinetic issues (such as ADHD). We have just started cutting out artificial colors with our oldest in hopes it'll make a difference. We've only started about a week ago, but she went to a friend's house and I forgot to say anything. It's not so bad around the house, but it's hard when she goes out.

Anyway, my husband has a cousin who reacts to red food dyes, I know. Most of the family, unfortunately, would turn first to meds to "fix" a child and probably never consider doing it the natural way.

Good luck!!
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:34 PM   #7
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foofie357 View Post
I have a 3.5 year old and we avoid all food dyes/colorings. Before I found out that he was sensitive to the colorings, he would be bouncing off the walls and melt-down/temper-tantrum over the dumbest things. He would seriously throw a huge tantrum over how many squirts of soap he had or if he didn't get to put the drain down on the tub. He was a very difficult child who had zero attention span. He wouldn't have the attention to read a book with me .

Someone suggested taking away red dye 40, and I tried that and noticed a difference. I also noticed a difference when he would drink minute main lemonade(yellow dye) at church, so I went cold turkey. No food dyes at all. He was a different child! He would play by himself and not run around like a nut the whole time.

I eventually noticed that he reacts to 'natural' food dyes-annato, red cabbage leaves, tumeric..etc. So, we avoid those too.

He is a totally different kid now! And let me tell you I am a totally different Mom.

Some symptoms that he has on dye:
1. He walks on his toes-it's like his pain tolerance is higher
2. He makes noises over and over-often uncontrollable. Could be a clicking, grunting or tonight it was TTTTToys over and over.
3. Can't sit still.
4. Will not make eye contact.
5. He does not care how many times he is punished. He will do it over and over and over.
6. His speech is jumbled. He is in speech therapy and has made huge improvements off the dye. It seems like the dye was stunting his verbal ability in some way.

Anyway, I hope that helps. PM if you have any other questions, I am happy to help!

Steff
Oh my gosh I had to print that of to show to my husband. It sounds like my 2 1/2 year old...minus the speech problems. He will sometimes get to going so fast you can't understand him.

I was in tears today....It's just such a battle everyday and I never get a break, he doesn't sleep much. It's 12:30am and he is still up....he just goes and goes and goes. I don't know how with all his tantrums he wouldn't wear himself out. I know I am worn out and wonder sometimes how much longer I can deal with this.

I am starting him tomorrow with none of the red or yellow dyes and I am also going to cut out all dairy and soy too. I was reading about the Feingold diet and the salicylates and I wonder because he CRAVES fruit like crazy. He eats TONS of it. I need to look into that more.

Thanks for your replys and stories, it's nice to hear I am not alone.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:50 PM   #8
texanntx
Registered Users

My Mood:

as a Girl Scout leader, we forbid red drinks for our refreshments because it didn't take us long to figure out that red drinks made several of our girls super hyperactive! (we had a large troop)

My older daughter had an allergic reaction to a green drink (hives).

Janetta
texanntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:49 AM   #9
Foofie357
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2JJ View Post
Oh my gosh I had to print that of to show to my husband. It sounds like my 2 1/2 year old...minus the speech problems. He will sometimes get to going so fast you can't understand him.

I was in tears today....It's just such a battle everyday and I never get a break, he doesn't sleep much. It's 12:30am and he is still up....he just goes and goes and goes. I don't know how with all his tantrums he wouldn't wear himself out. I know I am worn out and wonder sometimes how much longer I can deal with this.

I am starting him tomorrow with none of the red or yellow dyes and I am also going to cut out all dairy and soy too. I was reading about the Feingold diet and the salicylates and I wonder because he CRAVES fruit like crazy. He eats TONS of it. I need to look into that more.

Thanks for your replys and stories, it's nice to hear I am not alone.
I know exactly how you feel. I didn't understand how anyone could truly enjoy your children. Every second was a battle. Don't get me wrong he still has a lot of energy and still is difficult to deal with-but it's not constant and out of control like it was.

Make sure to check every label-dyes are hidden in some foods that you would have no idea-example: marshmallows have blue dye in them. I know you said you are only doing red and yellow right now, but I just wanted to stress the importance of reading everything.

My son is the same way with sleep. If he has dye he will not nap and will be up until 11 or 12 singing loudly. He will also bang the wall with his feet over and over.

Please let us know if you see a difference! I will be thinking of you!

Steff
Foofie357 is offline   Reply With Quote