Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-31-2006, 11:56 AM   #1
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Friend having c-section tomorrow UPDATE IN FIRST POST

UPDATE:

Please send your prayers to this family. My friend had a c-section at 8 am EST & the baby is on a ventilator & was transferred to the children's hospital about 2 hours away from where my friend delivered. She will be moved with the baby when the doctors say she is well enough. The baby was blue when he came out & 4 lbs 11 oz. He is apparently doing well on the ventilator but it's still a serious situation. His name is Anthony Andrew for anyone that would like to pray, light a candle, cross fingers, etc. This is their first baby. I did not talk to her since she was still recovering but I talked to her mom who was there. The new parents are not holding up very well.

Man I'm worried/frustrated & it's not even my baby. She's not due for another 2 weeks & that's her due date that's guessed by LMP & you know how that can be since it's not an exact science. She told me she's having a c-section tomorrow b/c the baby is breach... the doctor told her it's imperative that the baby come out sooner than later & since she's 2 cm (well she's been that way for over a month now) that it could kill the baby if he doesn't come out now. So she's having a c-section tomorrow. It's her first... I just feel really frustrated. I know I shouldn't & it's not my baby, etc... but I really think she's getting poor advice. I am a mom of 2 w/2 c-sections so I feel like maybe I'm calling the kettle black but I was in labor the first time & had an emergency c-section after pushing almost 4 hours & b/c of my incision I have to have c-section now... anyway, I just needed to vent.

Am I being dumb for worrying? I just think the baby still might turn & that it's bad decision, but I'm no doctor either.

Advertisement

Last edited by CMamma; 09-01-2006 at 08:11 AM.
CMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 12:00 PM   #2
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Friend having c-section tomorrow & I am so worried it's for wrong reasons

No you're not dumb. I would be furious too.

I had a c/s with my late dd and now I'm really in a bad spot being pregnant with my second.

Medicine is a practice. People make mistakes.
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 12:05 PM   #3
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I totally see your concern. My 3rd baby was breech at 37wks and turned on his own at 38wks and I was so happy! He stayed down after that and I delivered him naturally at 3 days past my edd.
My last baby was all over the place on a daily basis and my dr always said not to worry about it until 36wks b/c they wouldn't do anything until then anyway. At 36wks he was still not in position and my dr did a version only to have him turn again the next day! I was so upset and thought I'd have to have a c/s and was crying in my dr's office. She said to wait till next week and we'd go from there. They don't even attempt a version after 37wks so I had to go in and be checked at 37wks for his position again. To avoid a potential emergency c/s we induced at 37wks because he was head down and but not actually engaged. He could have turned again the next day so they just delivered me.
I have a friend who attempted a version but as a FTM they said its a lot harder b/c your uterus hasn't gotten any bigger than it is right then. With me having 4 babies (twins and a 9+lb-er) my uterus had a lot more room for him to move and would accomidate a much larger baby.
Have they talked about what they would do if the baby does turn? Would she just have a c/s anyway since its already planned or wait and see? I personally would avoid a c/s at all costs as a FTM just because of how many Drs won't even attempt a VBAC now! GL and I feel your frusteration!!
Old 08-31-2006, 12:10 PM   #4
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi
Have they talked about what they would do if the baby does turn?
She went for a check up this morning & they schedule the c-section for tomorrow. The doctor told her it's impossible for a baby to turn this late in the game. What? But he apparently just turned breech (since he was head down a week ago).

I just don't get it!!! Why would a doc flat out lie?
Old 08-31-2006, 12:19 PM   #5
Tootsiemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

in my experience, my doc pushed for a csection because she was in a hurry to get out of there. Although I do think I needed, I think the other things my doctor did were out of line and forceful. My doctor had made it incredibly clear that I was interrupting her life when I started pushing. Maybe this doc is like that too? I would get a second opinion if I was her.
Tootsiemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 01:04 PM   #6
hacandsac
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CottonMamma
She went for a check up this morning & they schedule the c-section for tomorrow. The doctor told her it's impossible for a baby to turn this late in the game. What? But he apparently just turned breech (since he was head down a week ago).

I just don't get it!!! Why would a doc flat out lie?
A baby can turn at any time including while she is in labor. Dr.'s make me soooo mad when they try to pull the death card to terrify moms into getting a c-section. I had this done to me when I had my DD. She was breech and the Dr. told my I would kill her if I labored. I was only 19 and didn't know better so I had a c-section. With my son I had to have another c-section because I couldn't find a Dr who did VBAC. I've been blessed with this baby to find a MW who has done tons of VBAC and will be having a VBA2C. I wish you could talk your friend into at least a TOL and see if the baby turns or she could go to http://www.spinningbabies.com/ for help and hints to get her baby to turn.
Good luck.
hacandsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:13 PM   #7
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wonder if parts of the conversation are bieng left out? It seems off that a doctor would say a baby won't turn now. Unless due to something we're not aware of the baby can't turn?? Although I have no idea what that could be.

I'm a believer that every mom should get to choose how she wants to deliver without other people having negative thoughts about her(ie: induction/VBAC/CS/Natural/Drug....what ever. It's such an individual choice so if she choses to go along with her doctor I dont' think it's anyone else's place to pass judgement on her.

I understand being worried about her, especially having BTDT....Just talk to her and give her some sites for information so she can at least have that going in to it. I hope she has no regrets for whatever decision she makes....(((HUGS)))

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:23 PM   #8
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon
I wonder if parts of the conversation are bieng left out? It seems off that a doctor would say a baby won't turn now. Unless due to something we're not aware of the baby can't turn?? Although I have no idea what that could be.

I'm a believer that every mom should get to choose how she wants to deliver without other people having negative thoughts about her(ie: induction/VBAC/CS/Natural/Drug....what ever. It's such an individual choice so if she choses to go along with her doctor I dont' think it's anyone else's place to pass judgement on her.

I understand being worried about her, especially having BTDT....Just talk to her and give her some sites for information so she can at least have that going in to it. I hope she has no regrets for whatever decision she makes....(((HUGS)))
I believe everyone should choose what's best for them too - please don't think I'm trying to judge her, that's not it. I think she's getting pushed into it & believes the doctor b/c basically he's the doctor. This is her first baby & she's young. She is scared & used the words "I'm terrified to have a c-section" but she's doing it tomorrow b/c the doctor told her there's no other choice or the baby will die. I just think that can't be right. She said she's also worried b/c she was told that the baby is measuring small... I told her she has every right to a second opinion & she said she figures all doctors will say the same thing.

Oh well, nothing I can do but pray for her & baby.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:47 PM   #9
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am sorry your friends OB isbeing like this.
While i personally would never attempt a version. since the risks are high,i would however atempt a vag birth with a breech. I know 2 plthathave deleivered frank breeches, and all was well. Although, that would never happen if it was yourfirst delievery. NO doc will allow a b eech birth first time around..

I have never heard of,ifshe goes into labor the baby will die. My aunt was in active labor, water broken when they discoveredher dd was breech. They did a c section, and all was well. This was 6hours into labor...

But so many docs are afraid of lawsuits they basically try to cover their butts.

I am saddened by the increasing rate of c sections in america, up to 35% orsomething like that, and most are first time moms,which usually means repeat c section.

There was an article in Fit Pregnancy a few motnhs ago, about how c sections are better. Um yeah. MAJOR abdominal surgery is always the best way to go...I will never buy that pro c section mgazine again...

There are severeal reasons and needs for csections. and i know soo many moms do need them for whatver reason. BUT i also feel there is an increasing rate of conveinence c-sections. convenient for mom or the OB< Usually the OB in my experience...

Try to support yourf friend. Offer advice,and leave it at that. Maybe SHE wants a section... many moms think it is the way to go these days..
Old 09-01-2006, 08:29 AM   #10
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Friend having c-section tomorrow UPDATE IN FIRST POST

Updated in first post.