Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2008, 09:13 PM   #101
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: DD's Early Intervention saga (5/22 video of her saying "hello" in #94)

Here's the words that Lydia can say. Most of them are just in imitation of me saying them, but she does do a few of them spontaneously. Her cutesy pronunciations are listed where applicable. The others she says pretty clearly already.

cup
diaper
cheerios (she says like yo-ee-yo)
cheese (w/ a soft "s" at the end, rhymes w/ "peace")
mama
dada
bye-bye
hello
hi
shoes (again w/ a soft "s" at the end, rhymes w/ "loose")
toes
belly (but it comes out "baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah"... not sure why she can't say this, but "hello" comes out clear w/ the L's and everything, lol)
no no (she tells herself this if I redirect her from something off-limits
bite (comes out "baah?")
night-night
doggy (sounds like "dah-dee")
kitty

She may be saying a few more things, but I don't understand them yet. As for understanding stuff, here's what she understands consistently. When I say these things to her, she does them.

Go get your blanket.
Don't touch.
Give mama kiss.
Give mama hug.
Come see mama.
Can mama have (it)?

Advertisement

Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:15 AM   #102
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: DD's Early Intervention saga (9/10 update in #102)

We are still in the program, and her therapist comes once a week. Usually it's today, but she just called to say she's sick today and had to cancel.

Sometime in the near future, they are going to come out and do the re-evaluation on her to see where she is. Her therapist did do a rough scoring of her a couple of weeks ago, though, and said that Lydia is only about a month or two behind now in most areas. Here's a few more new words and things she can do.

Words:
chip
packet (for a package to take to the post office, or for a ketchup packet that she likes to carry around, lol)
blanket
down
hold me
climb
chair
(there's more that I can't remember right now)

And she can do the motions for "Wheels on the Bus" and "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes."
Old 09-10-2008, 04:45 PM   #103
addiesmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It sounds like she's doing really good. My son is in speech therapy for 6 hours a week. He's tested at 21 months old and he's 3. He's over a year behind. He's had 30+ ear infections so that has contributed to alot of his delays. He was in EI and because he turns 3 next week he's transitioning over to the school system.

EI is an AMAZING program...or at least it is in Alabama. My daughter was in the program for 3 years. She has erbs palsy. She went from fingertip movement only to full range of motion. Remarkable!

Keep us posted on her progress.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:31 PM   #104
cravnp99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

anything new here?
Praying for #2 - either by birth or adoption
Paula - Wife to youth pastor & Mamma to Alli born 01/03/07 & brought home on 01/05/07
cravnp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:17 PM   #105
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Not a whole lot. I've cut down our sessions to just 3 times a month instead of every week. Lydia is saying a few two-word phrases. And then today she said a "paragraph" lol. She was playing w/ her diaper cover while I was changing her, and she dropped it on the floor. I asked her if she dropped it, and she said "Drop it! (Where did it) go? All gone." She can't say the "where did it" part yet, but whenever she just says "go?" the whole phrase is what she means. As for single words, she has just over 100 of them now that she will say spontaneously and appropriately (but about 24 of those are body parts, LOL).

It won't be until March when they do her annual evaluation where I find out what her "age" is for all the different categories again, but our therapist did a rough scoring of her a month or so ago and said that she's about a month or two behind. IIRC I think she was 2-3 months behind back when they did her initial eval.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:22 AM   #106
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

We had DD's annual evaluation today. Since she's become a LOT more verbal over the past few months, our therapist brought out a different tool than the REEL to gauge how her language is. It didn't call it receptive and expressive exactly, and I can't remember what that tool DID call it, but her "receptive" is at 23 months and her "expressive" is at 25 months. Her Adaptive Behavior is at 21 months now. Her actual age is 27 months, so she qualifies for services based on those three areas. But in the other 5 areas that she got measured, she made significant increases. In one of the areas, she measured at 32 months! I was excited about that.

So overall, I definitely think the program is helping her. But since she's made such great progress, we decided to move to just once every two weeks. Our goal from now until her third birthday is to work on potty training. They mentioned a few resources that I could use to work on it that they'll give to me later.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:56 AM   #107
cravnp99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post
We had DD's annual evaluation today. Since she's become a LOT more verbal over the past few months, our therapist brought out a different tool than the REEL to gauge how her language is. It didn't call it receptive and expressive exactly, and I can't remember what that tool DID call it, but her "receptive" is at 23 months and her "expressive" is at 25 months. Her Adaptive Behavior is at 21 months now. Her actual age is 27 months, so she qualifies for services based on those three areas. But in the other 5 areas that she got measured, she made significant increases. In one of the areas, she measured at 32 months! I was excited about that.

So overall, I definitely think the program is helping her. But since she's made such great progress, we decided to move to just once every two weeks. Our goal from now until her third birthday is to work on potty training. They mentioned a few resources that I could use to work on it that they'll give to me later.

Sounds like she's making progress! I'd be interested in knowing what "resources" they give for potty training.... we tried to have a "potty party" and taught a doll how to use the potty for part of a day, then tried to translate the learning to Alli... didn't go as smoothly as I hoped and I lost interest in working so intensly with it, so we haven't done much more with it since. Maybe I'm just not patient enough, or maybe she's not quite ready... altho some days I think she understands, and other days I think she's just not interested or stubborn.

Yesterday Alli said her first 5 word sentence, "Do you want chocolate milk?" It was really slurred together and most people probably wouldn't have understood all of it, but I knew what she was saying. I have a hard time knowing if she is behind or not because I am around 3 - 5 year olds, so I often compare her to them.... My understanding is that they don't do screenings until they are 3 around here (I guess because they often won't talk to a stranger.) It's great that they are doing so much to work with you!
Praying for #2 - either by birth or adoption
Paula - Wife to youth pastor & Mamma to Alli born 01/03/07 & brought home on 01/05/07
cravnp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:15 PM   #108
NataschaN
Banned

NataschaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:16 PM   #109
Drearina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: DD's Early Intervention saga (4/1 annual update in #105)

I had no words till 18 months. I was salutatorian of my graduating class. Don't freak! My mom didn't even know anything about EI.
I'm sure she'll be just fine!

so somehow my internet pooped and I didn't see there was more than the original first post. I don't know why.
Anyway, yeah, she's doing great!

Last edited by Drearina; 04-01-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Drearina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:30 PM   #110
Beaker
Registered Users
seller

Re: DD's Early Intervention saga (4/1 annual update in #105)

Glad to hear the awesome update!
Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote