Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-16-2008, 09:13 AM   #1
sarah26
Registered Users
seller

Location: Surviving Deployment #2... back home in the DFW area for the duration!
My Mood:
Soon to be new to bfing? Question!!

My LO is due first week of may (first child). I'm curious as to how many nursing pads I'll need or even where to buy cloth nursing pads and for a some what decent price. I have never thought about using cloth until I decided to use cloth diapers also. Before hand I just thought you used disposable pads. I'd hate to start at with too many or too little but have not a clue what is a normal amount in the early days until I can know if I have a heavy let down or not. I know I need something right off though. Any suggestions... I need some guidance!

Also, what about nipple cream? I hear a lot about Lansinoh (i think that's right) but obviously don't know from experience so need so suggestions there.

Any other tips for a newbie would be GREAT!

TIA!!!

Advertisement

Old 03-16-2008, 09:24 AM   #2
foxmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Soon to be new to bfing? Question!!

Hi!
I also posted this question a couple days ago (also expecting first in May!). Here is the link to some of the responses I got.
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...t=nursing+pads

I am planning on using wool rather than cotton bc I have heard it is a lot more absorbent. I have ordered a couple of different brands - (LANA from cottonbabies.com, and a bunch of WAHM made on HC - Covered Caboose, Cloth Diapers EH, Naturekins, and Luxe). You can also get some made with wool on the breast side and PUL on the outside for leakage. Good for heavy letdown, but not breathable.

I have 14 pairs bc I plan on BF for a while and I am sure some will get misplaced, not fit right, etc.......

For nipple cream, I have Lansinoh. Earth Mama also has a product that looks great that I might try.
http://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/or...le_butter.html

Hope this helps.
foxmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:35 AM   #3
sarah26
Registered Users
seller

Location: Surviving Deployment #2... back home in the DFW area for the duration!
My Mood:

Thanks. I want something that will be effective but also that is decently priced. I also plan on b****** exclusively and for awhile so I know in the long run I'm saving money. DH doesn't get why I don't want to just use disposable b/c it appears cheaper but in the long run it's obviously not. I'll look on hyena cart. I've looked at the mommy's touch ones also. Just wanted to ask around before I made the plunge to buy anything. I've been leaking since December so I should have gotten something a while ago but I don't work and just sucked it up. I know time is running out at this point though and further I get the more I leak but I know it's nothing to what it will be like when my milk comes in. Anyway, I'll check out hc. Thanks momma!!!

Congrats on the new baby. What day are you due and what are you expecting?
Old 03-16-2008, 09:55 AM   #4
sarah26
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

One more thing. I was looking at Cloth Diaper EH and got confused on the option for pul and wool. Would I want both? I wasn't sure how to order since I've never done HC before. Maybe you can guide me! lol
Old 03-16-2008, 10:17 AM   #5
foxmommy
Registered Users
seller

I ordered the wool from cloth eh and they are REALLY soft. I didn't get any PUL but I might order a pair bc they are good for heavier letdown that we will prob experience at first. Seems like PUL would be a good choice for going out in public.... Some people hate PUL bc it isn't breathable which might be uncomfortable this summer, but less likely to leak.......Wool is more absorbent than cotton and disposables, but not as leakproof as PUL. Also - usually have to hand wash wool, but don't have to wash as often bc wool is naturally antibacterial. You can just let them dry between uses, then wash with wool wash when they get stiff or stinky. So, maybe try both and see which ones you like more?

As for value - Covered caboose were the cheapest - 3 pair for $15.....They feel good, but I think I ordered too small. I am an A cup, so I ordered the 4", but wish I had gotten the 5 or 6". LANA were the most expensive, but they also seem to be the most popular among users, so maybe they are the best? Or maybe just more well-know? I don't know.

Congrats to you too! I am due at the end of May - so excited!
Old 03-16-2008, 10:23 AM   #6
sarah26
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm unsure on size also. I just was fitted yesterday at Mimi for a nursing bra and took a 40E which is I think a DD normally... (I can't believe this) so I don't know what to expect when my milk comes in. They have already "blossomed" obviously and I'd hate to get too small. Who knows!!! I couldn't find covered caboose on HC?

Also is the wool itchy? I'm not usually a wool fan because of that factor.

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-16-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
sarah26
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

found it!!!
Old 03-16-2008, 10:30 AM   #8
foxmommy
Registered Users
seller

no, the wool is not itchy. A lot of them have cashmere in them, or have really soft bamboo velour on the side that touches your skin. If you are worried, just order one pair and see how they feel.
For size, measure 6' circle to see what that looks like. Also, a lot of WAHMs will make your size or help you figure it out if you email them.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:31 AM   #9
ForCryingOutLoud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I only got a couple sets. I don't need them anymore. I hardly leak now after ebf for 7 1/2 months. I only needed them for the first couple weeks until my supply kind of stabilized. Some need them all the time and others not so much.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:44 AM   #10
sarah26
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Carson&Belle View Post
I only got a couple sets. I don't need them anymore. I hardly leak now after ebf for 7 1/2 months. I only needed them for the first couple weeks until my supply kind of stabilized. Some need them all the time and others not so much.

So would you suggest a few pairs to start off with then get more if I do indeed need more? I sure would hate to invest in many of pairs and not need them after so long. I won't be working and we are at home A LOT so I don't see needing 12 or more pairs but then again I don't know. Guess like everything else it is trial and error. I'm learning that with all this baby mumbo jumbo.