Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-17-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
CanAmCircus
Banned

My Mood:
Help me, my 1 year old is smothering me

OK Matty will be 1 in just a few days. For the last 3 days he has started something not so attractive lets say hahahahahaha.

If daddy is here alone everything is fine, but the second I enter the room whethere I have been asleep, outside for a couple minutes it all goes to heck.

He clings to me, he doesn't want to let go. he wants to go play but when he realises he is not touching me he screams and cries and runs back to me like his world just ended.

I AM NEVER GONE ANYWHERE. I AM THE SAHM

But he acts like he has been missing me forever.

I love my child and I love to cuddle, but sometimes mommy wants to pee or cook dinner, and this just isnt acceptable by his standards lately.

He starts playing and is having a wonderful time, I could be sitting maybe a foot from him and he realises oh wait moms not touching me. He starts screaming and crying and throwing himself on me.

I realise this is some sort of separation anxiety, but what I dont know is what caused it? How to I fix it? What can i do for him?

I am not just concerned over the fat that mommy needs a few seconds to accomplish something or just be grabbed at. But i really feel like it is effecting him too.

Thanks

ETA:He was weaned at 9.5-10 months for health reasons on my part. He still gets his bottle which he loves.

ETA again: I do go out sometimes with friends. Not often, but it does happen and for no more than an hour or 2. Maybe once every couple of months.

Advertisement

Last edited by CanAmCircus; 03-17-2008 at 10:56 AM.
CanAmCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:21 AM   #2
benjaminsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Help me, my 1 year old is smothering me

I think it might just be the age. Ben is the same way sometimes. Some days are better than others. He started acting like that more just before his bday too. It's hard but I have just been letting him cry a bit. He will actually throw himself on the ground and scream/cry like the world is ending. It has been happening less since I let him cry a bit. Before I would pick him up to comfort him, but it seem to increase the severity/frequency of the tantrums. I hope he out grows it soon. Good luck momma!
Old 03-17-2008, 12:49 PM   #3
Suzanne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh mama, you are SOOOO not alone! It is the age, and a good sign that he loves, and trusts his mother
Suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:58 PM   #4
CanAmCircus
Banned

My Mood:

I just beco'ed him cause i cant stand the screaming
Old 03-17-2008, 07:26 PM   #5
ive
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAmCircus View Post
I just beco'ed him cause i cant stand the screaming
Yep yep. SSC carrier saved my sanity during this period. I think people have a fancy name but to tired to think straight . It goes away 5months after he's first birthday and then you'll find he finds a more fun way to keep you near him, called throw everything and anything on the floor aka tornado baby . Sorry you feeling smoothered, thats when having a extra pair of hands helps. take an hour away when DH comes home for yourself and get your wit about you then go in for round 2/3/X . Also naps are wonderful life savers to. I was bad example I think of what not to do when baby's at this age. I would pick him up,carry him, feed him, basically reward him for having a tantrum. now I'm paying for it w/ 15month old tantrums which I'm trying to figure how I'm going to nip in the behind

well good luck mama
Old 03-17-2008, 07:34 PM   #6
CanAmCircus
Banned

My Mood:

Thanks mama.

Yeah when he woke from his nap, I could hear him....but I didn't rush for him. I could hear him playing and he was happy. I thought, hmmm just a few more minutes Then he cried, I went to him and yup all day long.

Love that beco hahaha