Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-15-2008, 09:17 AM   #1
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
measles out break in VA?

I was just told that there's a measles out break in Virginia. A woman was notified by her dept of health in her town because there is a child within 7 miles of her house. Fortunately I don't live in VA but I have family that does with LOs. Has anyone else heard of this or been notified? I assume it's bound to hit the papers eventually. Whenever there is a meningitis dx the papers know right away to start warning the public around here. Heck it even hits the radio stations too. Just wondering if anyone else has heard this.

Advertisement

MamaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
Tavie and Ellie's Mom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: measles out break in VA?

I haven't heard anything about it. Do you know where in VA it was?
Old 03-15-2008, 10:51 AM   #3
TieNappyQueen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am very curious if the child was vaxed.... The measles sooo don't scare me but that is me.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:54 AM   #4
Tavie and Ellie's Mom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by namasteDE View Post
I am very curious if the child was vaxed.... The measles sooo don't scare me but that is me.
I was wondering that as well I thought the measles were pretty much wiped out in the U.S.?
Old 03-15-2008, 05:50 PM   #5
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We've had measles in Indiana.

Yes, it WAS wiped out. But people travel abroad and bring it back from other countries.

I had a child in my class go to India and bring back Hep A. She was in the children's hospital for a month and in a coma for awhile with it. The scary thing was that she came back to school for a week before the symptoms showed up, so she exposed us all. Her mom didn't vax because she didn't think she'd need it (non-vaxing family), and then her dad died unexpectedly and they had to go there on about 2 days notice. It didn't even occur to the mom who had just lost her husband to vax at that point.

Imagine the grief--lost your husband, then come home and then you almost lose your child. It was horrible.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:52 PM   #6
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavie and Ellie's Mom View Post
I haven't heard anything about it. Do you know where in VA it was?
I'd like to know too, I'm in VA.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:57 PM   #7
TieNappyQueen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post

Yes, it WAS wiped out. But people travel abroad and bring it back from other countries.

I had a child in my class go to India and bring back Hep A. She was in the children's hospital for a month and in a coma for awhile with it. The scary thing was that she came back to school for a week before the symptoms showed up, so she exposed us all. Her mom didn't vax because she didn't think she'd need it (non-vaxing family), and then her dad died unexpectedly and they had to go there on about 2 days notice. It didn't even occur to the mom who had just lost her husband to vax at that point.

Imagine the grief--lost your husband, then come home and then you almost lose your child. It was horrible.
Even if she had vaxed 2 days before it would not have been effective. I don't vax because here where we are not in need of it but if we traveled to countries like India or Africa, ect... then I would.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:09 PM   #8
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post

Do you know how common hep A really is? There are outbreaks contstantly. It isn't even on the required vax list in most states. And it is rarely that dangerous. It is a food bourne illness, a bunch of kids got it here a couple of years ago from under cooked kids meals at McDonald's. It wasn't nearly as bad as when Jack in the Box gave all those kids Ecoli, at least the kids with Hep A recovered. I get so sick of all of this. You don't have to go to a foreign country to bring back diseases. These diseases are still here and still common, and still not scary. Measels was never totally gone from the US, not even close. And I'm sorry but three or four kids does not equal an "outbreak". No matter what the news stations say. The measels just isn't worth getting worked up over. If you aren't vaxed then you are probably hoping your kid gets it and gets it out of the way, and if you do vax then what do you have to worry about?
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:00 PM   #9
TieNappyQueen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
Do you know how common hep A really is? There are outbreaks contstantly. It isn't even on the required vax list in most states. And it is rarely that dangerous. It is a food bourne illness, a bunch of kids got it here a couple of years ago from under cooked kids meals at McDonald's. It wasn't nearly as bad as when Jack in the Box gave all those kids Ecoli, at least the kids with Hep A recovered. I get so sick of all of this. You don't have to go to a foreign country to bring back diseases. These diseases are still here and still common, and still not scary. Measels was never totally gone from the US, not even close. And I'm sorry but three or four kids does not equal an "outbreak". No matter what the news stations say. The measels just isn't worth getting worked up over. If you aren't vaxed then you are probably hoping your kid gets it and gets it out of the way, and if you do vax then what do you have to worry about?
I LOVE YOUR POSTS!!!! Everytime I see you posting I get giddy! SOOOO well said! LOVE YA GIRL!
Old 03-15-2008, 09:21 PM   #10
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by namasteDE View Post
I LOVE YOUR POSTS!!!! Everytime I see you posting I get giddy! SOOOO well said! LOVE YA GIRL!
Awwww, thank you! You're making me blush.

Just for fun I thought I would post the CDC's MMWR, now the most recent is for 2005 unfortunately, I don't know why that is. But that is always the way.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5453a1.htm

In 2005 there were 4,488 cases of acute Hep A infection reported. Do you think all of those people had just returned from foreign nations? And these are acute cases of course, not asymptomatic or diseases misdiagnosed as other things. And this is before there was even any real talk about the Hep A vax. It was around, but no one really used it. And again, even now it isn't mandatory in most states.

There were 65 reported cases of measels (again this doesn't count any cases that were misdiagnose or obviously asymptomatic). Oddly enough there were 314 cases of mumps. Makes you wonder why when they are given together. And only 11 reported cases of Rubella, but that is probably because most people barely get sick when they get Rubella so they wouldn't even know they had it to report it.

There were 25,616 cases of Pertusis (guess that vax isn't nearly as effective as they say it is huh?). And 8 of the plague. I always find it weird that there are any cases of the plague. Oh and 1 case of paralytic polio (and they said it was eradicated in the US).

32,242 cases of Varicella in 2005, and only 3 deaths. So much for that vax being effective, but then again I guess it is hard to make a case for a "killer" disease when it kills 3 out of 32,000. Not exactly scary.

This is just hard numbers, and from the CDC of all places. Now of course they aren't exact, it doesn't count for misdiagnosis, wether purposeful or accidental. Nor does it account for people who are asymptomatic or never know they are even sick, let alone what disease they have. But still, it's all there, and before we jump on the fear bandwagon maybe we should take a second and look at the actual numbers for a change.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote