Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-17-2008, 09:46 PM   #1
Tavie and Ellie's Mom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Vent about DD's health

Two weeks ago I brought my oldest, Octavia, to the doctor because she was complaining that her privates were bothering her. We were first told it was a yeast infection, given cream for it and sent on our way. Then we received a call saying that it is a UTI and given antibiotics. Then they called to say that it was a type of staph infection. I took her back to the doctor today for a follow up, her pediatrician imediately pulled me into the waiting room and sat down with me (never a good sign at the docotor's). She told me that they think she has something wrong with her kidneys and possibly her liver as well. Apparently there was some type of bacteria that showed up in her urine that was an indication of something being wrong. She is going to have a renal utrasound next week and possibly another test that invloves a catheter being put in and dye being injected into her bladder.

What I think makes this even harder for my family and I to deal with is that we learned when she was an infant that she has a hole in her heart. We were told in December that it looks well enough that she should be fine for another year before the possibility of surgery. AND Ellie, my youngest, suffers from tremors, the cause is still unknown to us as of yet. Since finding out about Octavia's heart and Ellie's neurological issues, I have been able to keep a happy face and not let it get to me, but this today floored me. For the first time in two years I have broken down and bawled my eyes out about the health of my girls. I feel like I don't have many places IRL that I can vent these emotions to. I want to go outside and scream as loud as I can and then curl up and go to sleep for a long long time.

Advertisement

Old 03-17-2008, 09:52 PM   #2
ericak95
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vent about DD's health

Sorry to hear your troubles -- I hope you get the answers and treatment quickly.

Erica
Old 03-17-2008, 09:54 PM   #3
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh mama that has to be so hard.
What kind of bothering her was she complaining about? Dd has an on going sore butt as she calls it and I worry, I keep putting cream on but it comes back as soon as I stop.
I hope the Ultrasound and catheter goes smoothly for your Dd, will she be sedated?
How old is she?
Old 03-17-2008, 10:00 PM   #4
Tavie and Ellie's Mom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Oh mama that has to be so hard.
What kind of bothering her was she complaining about? Dd has an on going sore butt as she calls it and I worry, I keep putting cream on but it comes back as soon as I stop.
I hope the Ultrasound and catheter goes smoothly for your Dd, will she be sedated?
How old is she?
She was complaining that she was contantly itchy. She would even wake up all hours of the night crying about it. It seemed like the only thing that helped her was holding a wet wash cloth down there.

She's 2 and we are still deciding about the sedation, we are worried about the side effects from it, but at the same time we are also worried about her not being still enough.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:21 PM   #5
emilykaysmommy
Registered Users
seller

mama...
My dd had 2 renal ultrasounds, 1 VCUG (the cath and dye procedure) and a kidney function scan... she had 3 UTIs in less than 6 months. She cultured out e coli and something else....
When she was diagnosed with her first UTI the doctor told us she could be missing a kidney or have an extra kidney and ordered the renal ultrasound.
After the 2nd UTI he ordered the VCUG...
She got her 3rd one before the VCUG and I demanded a referral to a urologist.
She had her VCUG while in the hospital for unplanned seizure observation... it being her 3rd UTI concerned the general doctor and he wanted her all checked out while she inpatient anyway.. they didn't sedate her for the VCUG, they said they never do... and she had a cath placed about a half hour before the VCUG and she already had an IV in case she had a "dangerous" seizure... they told us they don't sedate them.. because her doctor had told us they would. She was 11 months. They strapped her in this thing with her arms about her head and it turned side to side while they took the xrays. She cried a little but we were in the room the entire time and they gave us toys to distract her with. She did fine. They also ordered a 2nd renal ultrasound to check for inflammation...
She had her kidney function scan at UCSF and that was a lot harder... it took several tries to get the shot of contrast dye in her... but after that it was smooth sailing...
They thought her first UTI had turned into a kidney infection because her fever shot up to 104.8 one night... but if it was it didn't do any damage because her kidney scan was perfect...
sorry this turned into a novel... I couldn't read your post and not respond....since I've sorta BTDT. if you have any questions feel free to PM as I may not be able to find this thread again...
Try not to worry mama,I know easier said than done... I will be hoping all goes well for your daughter.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:45 AM   #6
Menfusse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd had kidney reflux, which we found at about the same age. She had a kidney infection, followed by an u/s of her kidney's which showed them to be enlarged and then the VCUG-the catheter dye thing. Basically, the pee refluxes from the bladder back up into the kidneys, and unless it's super severe, which usually you know from birth when it's real severe, they only put them on prophylactic antibiotics to prevent infections. Severe cases need surgery, but unless your dd has had infection after infection since birth, I'm thinking and hopeing it's not severe.

They won't sedate her for the VCUG, we asked the same thing but were told it's just not done. They put a catheter in and fill the bladder with a dye, and see if it backwashes into the kidney's. It doesn't take very long, though it's certainly not pleasant. The u/s isn't hard at all, thought it might be scarey for her.

Hopefully that is all she will need is a dose of antibiotics everyday until she gets a little older. 9 times out of 10, they just outgrow it. My dd did .
Old 03-18-2008, 05:44 PM   #7
benjaminsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

momma.
I am so sorry you are going through all this. Hoping you find the answers and treatment you need for both your girls to be healthy again.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:01 PM   #8
christy005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm sorry!