Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
Tahaacke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Wanting some advice and maybe reassurance.

Okay first off I really want to continue breastfeeding. We have for been doing it for 7m now and I wanted to BF at least a year. After BF DD only 7wks this is something I want to truly do because it was such a big disappointment to stop with her. However DS is not gaining enough weight. He is 7m and only 14lbs (birth weight 8lbs 1oz). He does not look/act dehydrated, is very active, etc. He loves food and get one jar of baby food a day (roughly 4oz). He refuses to take BM when I work (6 hours a day for 4-5 nights a week) and eats all night long. I BF him on demand. He has a doctor appt for monday.

He apparently has thrush as well. I don't know when he got it or how long he has had it. Anyways he loves BF but tries to eat/grab and shove in his mouth any food/spoon/ utensil that is near him.

My question is does this sound normal? Because he has not gained weight, do you think I am starving him? I can't pump milk for the life of me (only get one ounce a day from both breasts ) and he won't take milk from his dad anyway. I just feel that I'm a failure at being a mom because he is not gaining weight. I guess that I just feel like my bm is not enough. And I guess I just needed to talk to someone. I mean he does have a doctor appt but I'm already going to hear it about non/delaying vaxes like last time (horrible story) and I'm just worried about my son right now.

What would you momma do? I've been told by people (who have never bf and only ff for like months) to give him more solids, stop bf and give him formula, etc. So what would you do? Try to supplement formula (if so what kind), give more solids, continue BF but try to feed more often (he eats like every 2-3 hours) etc?

Advertisement

Tahaacke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:40 AM   #2
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Wanting some advice and maybe reassurance.

I would try and feed every 3 hours, but if he's happy and healthy and developing normally, maybe he's just small. that's why there is a growth chart- because EVERY BABY IS DIFFERENT. If he was hungry or dehydrated he'd let you know. Don't stop bfing just because your baby is small- 14 lbs doesn't sound all that off to me anyway for 7 mos. Wouldn't it be a kicker if you started formula and he didn't fatten up? If he's supposed to be small, he's going to be. No matter what you feed him.
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
kmbrlywoods
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree!
Old 05-15-2008, 11:55 AM   #4
jaceraden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mama.

I went through something similar with DD. She will NOT drink while I'm at work and this really freaked me out. She also plateaued with weight gain which freaked me out more. But, she's 14 months now and doing great despite her slow gaining once I went back to work. She still BFs on demand when I'm home and we do solids though she's a really picky eater and some days only has BM and water.

You're doing great for your LO and you can continue to BF and do solids in your own way if you want. Not all babies maintain 100 percentile for weight and that's OKAY.

But, go with your gut - not pressure from others who butt in or think they're well meaning. Mama really does know best.
jaceraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:18 PM   #5
Tahaacke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I feel that he is doing fine but just got worried. He is active, meeting all milestones and then some, etc. I think he is just small but a few people (one was a ER doctor) said that he is not gaining enough weight. My DD is a little over 2 1/2 and just turned 29lbs. She was only 25lbs when she turned two. My kids are tall and skinny plus very active. I hope our Doctor agrees. The ER doc said that he looked fine but had thrush. She also said that since he looks healthy it could be due to some disease and that got me worried. You know?
Old 05-15-2008, 01:41 PM   #6
amybabya
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD is 29 months and 24 pounds. Some kids are just small.

You could mix some formula in with his cereal or babyfood if you think he needs it. It certainly won't hurt anything.
If you really want to pump, see a LC or go to a BFing clinic and see if they can help you out. When I worked out of the home, I would let DD nurse on one side and pump on the other while she was on and I was letting down. Try the Avent hand pump.

Continue to BF on demand and if he is hungry while you are at work, have DH give him more babyfood. I always mixed a little rice cereal in with babyfood. You can also try BMilk in a cup from DH. Worked for us.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:55 PM   #7
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybabya View Post
My DD is 29 months and 24 pounds. Some kids are just small.

You could mix some formula in with his cereal or babyfood if you think he needs it. It certainly won't hurt anything.
If you really want to pump, see a LC or go to a BFing clinic and see if they can help you out. When I worked out of the home, I would let DD nurse on one side and pump on the other while she was on and I was letting down. Try the Avent hand pump.

Continue to BF on demand and if he is hungry while you are at work, have DH give him more babyfood. I always mixed a little rice cereal in with babyfood. You can also try BMilk in a cup from DH. Worked for us.
MORE cereal or babyfood is the last thing a baby needs when trying to gain weight.

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...rease.html#how
Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:07 PM   #8
tammilf
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahaacke View Post
She also said that since he looks healthy it could be due to some disease and that got me worried. You know?

Gah... what kind of helpful medical knowledge is that regarding "some" disease?!?

My son was/is very small too. He is 27lbs at 3yrs and 3m. Hanging around the 3rd percentile most of his life. Due to his size and some GI issues around age 12m, we did do celiac testing and now with a new dr and some respiratory issues we did cystic Fybrosis testing at his three year appt. Both negative. My point is there was something else, plus small size....and still there is nothing really wrong with him.

We started supplementing at dc around 9 months, but continued bfing until he was 22 m. So my advice is do what you need to do to help your son and maintain your sanity. Is he hungry/miserable when not taking a bottle while you are gone? If not don't worry about it.

Child of Mine, by Ellyn Satter does a great job of explaining childhood eating. And laying out our roles and responsibilities in that partnership with our children.
tammilf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:16 PM   #9
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:

just wanted to add something here.

I just looked at my growth chart from when I was a baby.

At 7 months old, I was 14 lbs 5 oz. I was FF from birth and started eating solids at a month old (or less ).
Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:22 PM   #10
Tahaacke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammilf View Post
Is he hungry/miserable when not taking a bottle while you are gone? If not don't worry about it.
As far as I know he is happy drinking water and eating his baby food.

Thanks for all the advice & info everyone. I do feel better.