Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-17-2008, 10:43 PM   #1
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:
paypal question

Newbie here...so please excuse the dumb question : ) Pretty much all of the FSOT posts are willing to take funded paypal, or credit card if you cover the fees...I know the reasoning behind this, because they only let you accept five (I think its five, not many whatever it is) credit card payments in a year with a standard account, then they start charging fees...and with a premium paypal account you have to pay fees no matter what, correct?? SOOOOO With paypal, if the money is drawn straight from my bank account, is it considered funded?? know I've seen someone make a link to this before, but I can't find it for the life of me!!

Advertisement

smashncakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:44 PM   #2
mama*ashleigh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: paypal question

Yes ma'am it is!
Old 03-17-2008, 10:48 PM   #3
eilla05
Registered Users
seller

Yep. CC is when you use say you bank debit card as a cc on paypal.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:51 PM   #4
prairiegirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

see thats what I thought...mine is set up as an instant transfer from my account and I asked this same question specifically before and was told this....never had any problem until the other day someone was saying I needed to cover my pp fees of 67 cents a few hours after I paid...they were saying that it must be a cc transation (which it's not) so I have to cover my fees of 67 cents pp takes from the transaction for the dipes I paid for...whatever....not worth bad feedback so I sent the 67 cents
Old 03-17-2008, 10:52 PM   #5
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks so much!! I had a transaction set up with a mama on here, and as soon as I asked her that, she stopped responding to my pm's : ( Guess my newbie-ness scared her off?? lol It's been making me a touch weary about even bothering to try to buy anything else until I knew for sure, now I can get back to shopping...I'm sure hubby will love that
smashncakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:47 AM   #6
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:

Yes, it's considered "funded," if drawn directly from you account. I've asked this question several times, because I wasn't sure.
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:22 AM   #7
Mamabexter
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiegirl View Post
see thats what I thought...mine is set up as an instant transfer from my account and I asked this same question specifically before and was told this....never had any problem until the other day someone was saying I needed to cover my pp fees of 67 cents a few hours after I paid...they were saying that it must be a cc transation (which it's not) so I have to cover my fees of 67 cents pp takes from the transaction for the dipes I paid for...whatever....not worth bad feedback so I sent the 67 cents
I recently had a mama who required fees for any paypal transaction. My guess is she only has one paypal account and it is one that charges fees on everything. Many mamas on here carry two paypal accounts, one to accept funded and one to accept CC. Like me, they typically ask which type of paypal you have and ask you to cover fees if necessary or post that in the listing. They then give the appropriate paypal address for you to send payment. If the listing doesn't specify funded or cc payment, ask to be safe. I have also been known to split fees with people, depending on the item being sold. HTH
Old 03-18-2008, 04:50 AM   #8
catiesmommytoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiegirl View Post
If the recipient has a premier pp account, like I do--set up for selling on eBay--or a business account they will pay the same fees whatever the source of funding for the payment, whether it is funded by existing pp funds, instant transfer, e-check, or cc. I personally don't feel it is legitimate of me to ask for cc fees to be covered because I would pay the same fees for payments received that are funded by cash transfers also. When you enter the party's email address for payment the next screen will show you the type of account holder they are, prior to your sending payment, eg verified personal member, verified premier member, etc.
Soon to be grandma to Rory , due 2-14-14
catiesmommytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:57 AM   #9
catiesmommytoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamabexter View Post
I recently had a mama who required fees for any paypal transaction. My guess is she only has one paypal account and it is one that charges fees on everything. Many mamas on here carry two paypal accounts, one to accept funded and one to accept CC. Like me, they typically ask which type of paypal you have and ask you to cover fees if necessary or post that in the listing. They then give the appropriate paypal address for you to send payment. If the listing doesn't specify funded or cc payment, ask to be safe. I have also been known to split fees with people, depending on the item being sold. HTH
Although I know what you describe is a common practice, technically, according to the pp user agreement, if you have a premier or business account as well as a personal account, you cannot request payments to your personal account to avoid fees, and if it is discovered you are doing so, your accounts can be closed by pp. To the best of my knowledge there is no restriction against asking someone to cover fees but to be fair, IMO, that mama should also have offered you a no fee payment option, such as sending a check or money order.
Soon to be grandma to Rory , due 2-14-14
catiesmommytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:29 AM   #10
Swimmingly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

"a no fee option such as sending a check or money order"
Except that sending anything by mail will cost you the $ for an envelope and a stamp, and depending on your bank may even cost you for the check or money order as well. So IMO it really isn't much different.

I think that ebay does actually forbid you to ask people to cover fees.