Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-18-2008, 08:45 AM   #1
tarah1218
Registered Users
seller

He bit me!!!

We just started the nursing relationship again, recently, and so my nipples were a bit sore already but today he bit me! He didn't just bite one side either, he did both sides! They hurt really bad now, what can I do to make them feel better? I have had so much trouble with feeding this kid and I don't want to give up but dang, I need to be cut a break here. How did you teach them not to bite at 6 months old? He has his 2 bottom teeth and is cutting his 2 top.

Advertisement

Old 03-18-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
sistersusannah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: He bit me!!!

We had this issue too and when DS bit me, I said 'NO' very loudly and sharply, immed. took him off the breast and put him in his crib and walked away. He did it about 3 times and then got the picture- you do not bite mom! HTH and
Old 03-18-2008, 10:03 AM   #3
Dire Wolf
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If lo bites down and won't let go press their face to your breast to make them let go, that way you don't get the skin cut by those little razor edged teeth. The setting them down and walking away is the best tactic I've used with both my girls so I would assume it's the best one out there.
nak

Wife to Karl, mother in our blended home.
Ask me about the Grossman Burn Center in Sherman Oaks.
Dire Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:06 AM   #4
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

if you have lanisoh, it helps soothe soreness mama.
I am sorry he bit you, i am afraid of that too, my ds is cutting his bottom 2 teeth too and i am scared and just wait for it to happen.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
YellowDello
Registered Users
seller

At that age babies sometimes latch on wrong because of teething pain which can cause them to scrape their teeth. When teeth are first breaking through scraping occurred for awhile with my son . Almost like they have to learn to latch on with their teeth.
Putting some nipple cream on can sooth your nipples.
As far as if he does it on purpose I would just set my kids down and tell them "No all done when you bite".
YellowDello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:26 PM   #6
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yup, same as pp. I would press baby's face into the breast (that makes it hard for them to breathe, so they let go), and then say something like "No biting Mommy, that hurts! Meal's over!" and halt the feeding & put baby down. It worked pretty quickly w/ both babies. GL!
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:10 PM   #7
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Mine only bit when he was teething.. I always knew he was within days of one popping through when he bit.. and sure enough, he would sprout a new tooth in a few days of biting.. I hear many babies do this.. He got his first two at 6 months also, so it's not like they really understand too well so that makes it rough. I know I wanted to QUIT bfing because I was scared of getting bit!!! Hang in there, it will pass.. :hug:
Granna to two amazing grandsons!! <3
*Alabamamom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:29 PM   #8
jaceraden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistersusannah View Post
We had this issue too and when DS bit me, I said 'NO' very loudly and sharply, immed. took him off the breast and put him in his crib and walked away. He did it about 3 times and then got the picture- you do not bite mom! HTH and
I've heard that some Mamas have even given a hair tug (if LO has any). Totally not in my comfort zone but other Mamas had success. I found the NO and walk away to be effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
if you have lanisoh, it helps soothe soreness mama.
I am sorry he bit you, i am afraid of that too, my ds is cutting his bottom 2 teeth too and i am scared and just wait for it to happen.
Lansinoh helped me greatly during rough times. I do find now that she only does it by accident, rarely and when she's teething.

Hang in there Mama. Hopefully something will work for you so that you and your wee man can keep up the BFing.
jaceraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #9
thebruces04
Registered Users

My Mood:

my lo did it too it's just part of it. i would take him off the breast and give him a hug. and it took him two times to understand they don't do it forever, only when teething.
thebruces04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:34 AM   #10
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:

Dd started biting and she still doesn't have any teeth! But she would bite hard with her gums and really clamp down. I could tell when she was going to do it, when she was done nursing for food and just nursed a little longer for the heck of it. I would pull her off a little sooner so that she didn't get to that point, and if she did bite smooshing her into my boob didn't help at all. I finally got her to not bite by flicking her cheek enough to startle her but not hurt her, saying NO loudly, and setting her down and turning my back on her for a few minutes. I'm hoping by the time she cuts teeth she won't do it at all.

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote