Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-23-2008, 08:57 PM   #1
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Nighttime tips?

DH had just put DD down for the night. ihad nursed her, then he rocked her.. well, 10 mins. later she was crying. checked her diaper - its dry! but she does not want to EC at these times when she wakes up. i dont know why, but she cries even louder if i try to EC her in the middle of the night before a feeding. but i dont want to do it after,,,?
not sure what 2 do, WWYD?

Advertisement

Old 11-24-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
Sakari
Registered Users

Re: Nighttime tips?

Ditto. even before i had heard of EC, she HATED it if i tried changing her diaper in the middle of the night. she just wants to eat and go back to sleep. any "experts" have advice??? please?!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:52 AM   #3
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakari View Post
Ditto. even before i had heard of EC, she HATED it if i tried changing her diaper in the middle of the night. she just wants to eat and go back to sleep. any "experts" have advice??? please?!
well, i have o change her any time she is wet - she insists - lol.
- but if she's dry - she wont want me to hold her over the potty. i guess she's too hungry maybe?
Old 11-24-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
Sakari
Registered Users

hmm, oops! different scenarios, i guess! But yeah, it sounds like she's just too hungry. I think that's why mine doesn't want her diaper changed at night, whether she's dry or wet, she's just starving!

but then last night I tried feeding her and then going to the potty. She was perfectly happy with it but it woke her up! she started playing with the potty and her toes and then after I gave up on her going, we went back to bed and she smiled and giggled and cooed and didn't want to sleep! I think I might try just getting in the habit of taking her potty in the mornings and forgetting about nights! maybe she'll eventually learn to hold it? we were up for 1.5 hours at 4:30 in the morning! I think i'd rather sleep. :S
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:26 AM   #5
treehugginhippie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagegyrl View Post
but she does not want to EC at these times when she wakes up. i dont know why, but she cries even louder if i try to EC her in the middle of the night before a feeding. but i dont want to do it after,,,?
not sure what 2 do, WWYD?
I'm new to ec at night too. This was our 6th night I think. Mine also isn't happy about being pottied at night. I've read about holding them, then start nursing them in your lap and have a prefold under them (or potty etc) and que them to pee. I just ordered the potty you hold between your legs because she was NOT happy about being upright on the BBLP. I have pottied her over the sink a couple times at night while nursing and sometimes not nursing. Still, she's not happy about any attempt on my part to potty her but if I don't she doesn't sleep well...
Old 12-04-2008, 05:00 AM   #6
lam328
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hav ec'd three children and none wanted to be pottied at night when they were young babies. Eventually one ds would ask "pa-pa" when he became verbal close to one year, then I would take him. Otherwise I just let them pee in a diaper because that is what they seemed to want to do! Sometimes ds would squirm to be changed after peeing in the diaper. And yes, all mine wanted to nurse before peeing!

One tip I got from another EC board was to nurse and hold a small jar and cue. So this is what I do for 7 month ds when he wakes to pee at 8pm and 11pm. It's way to cold to get him out of bed and into the cold bathroom and cold bblp! I don't have one of those fleece things. For a girl I guess you would have to hold a cloth under her. Ds is used to the feel of the glass jar and the cue sound and goes beautifully. Now I have to admit when he wakes at 2am or 4am I am way too tired to do this. I don't get vertical at night unless absolutely necessary so the middle of the night pees he does in a diaper. I call this the 'dream pee' I have never found that this interferes with day time communication and catches.
lam328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:02 PM   #7
V's Momma
Registered Users
seller

My dd doesn't mind to potty at night. Actually, since we've started ec'ing she usually cries if she wets herself. She stirs and I know she probably needs to pee so I put her on her BBLP. Sometimes she is really hungry and just wants to nurse and isn't interested in peeing, but I know she needs to go so i just let her nurse while on the BBLP. Then she'll pee too, and once she pees we just get back in bed where she finishes nursing and goes back to sleep. If I get her on the potty before she really wakes up she'll just go and then want to go back to sleep. She never really wakes up all the way.
Sometimes I nurse her when she starts to wake up in the bed and when she keeps squirming around I know she must need to pee. If I pee her she'll go back to sleep most of the time. We have had a few nights (not in a row thankfully) that she wanted to stay up at 4 or 5 am, but I think that would have happened even if we weren't ecing. But who really knows right?
HTH
V's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:06 AM   #8
lam328
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So how exactly do you nurse while dd is on the bblp? Do you sit on the floor next to it? I've never been able to figure that move out, but I have nurse in the car/carseat before so I'd like to try this!
lam328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:31 PM   #9
V's Momma
Registered Users
seller

if you have nursed while your lo is in the car seat, nursing while on the bblp will be a breeze! I have the bblp on the floor and I sit in front of her and she latches on while on the potty. sometimes that's what it takes for her to relax enough in the middle of the night and go potty. i actually got the idea from a mama here on ds it's a great trick!
V's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:32 PM   #10
ocanfield
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son used to go only 2 times a night and wake up dry...then around 7 months he got highly upset with me if I tried to pee him in the middle of the night, even though he had to go. So I gave up on doing it at night....he's 10 months now, and I'm just hoping he learns to hold it or ask to go. It wasn't worth me and him getting upset. I miss those days though when all it took was a little squirm to let me know he had to pee, he peed and then went right back to sleep! You got me on what changed that!

Polliwogs Recycled Wool Slippers
ocanfield is offline   Reply With Quote