Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-19-2008, 10:53 PM   #11
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:
Re: How did you help child #1 "adjust" to the arrival of new baby?

There is a 20 month difference between DS and DD. Like PP said, there was really almost no transition. He wouldn't look at her in the hospital but I think he was just overwhelmed. At home he was fine. After a day or 2 I think he forgot what life was ever like without her.

I did try to make sure that he didn't feel left out -- he liked to "help" by bringing me a burp cloth or whatever. And we spent LOTS of time camped out on our big chair, with me nursing DD while reading to DS.

He was really into his "Froggy Goes to Bed" book at the time, and I found out there was a whole Froggy series, with a book about "Froggy's Baby Sister." I edited the book a little while reading to him but in general he was pretty excited that Froggy had a baby sister just like he did.

Also I guess it helps that he's a Daddy's boy, so he got lots of personal attention from Daddy, going out running errands with him or something and leaving me with the baby.

Advertisement

momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:22 PM   #12
DommysMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'll be curious to find out myself when this baby arrives. DS1 will be 21 months old when DS2 arrives, and I'm a little concerned, but know things will take care of themselves. He knows where baby brother is and kisses my tummy often. If I lift my shirt to touch it at all, DS will run over and hug and kiss it...or try to sit on it!
But his vocab has been growing SO MUCH lately, that hopefully he'll understand more soon too. Good luck to you!!!
Old 03-19-2008, 11:34 PM   #13
JKTexas
Registered Users
Formerly: jes***ox

My Mood:

Very good advice. I loved it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttachuk View Post
My daughter was 22 months old when my son was born and we did have a few transition issues, but not very bad and not very long-lasting. Here are a few things we found worked to help prep her for baby's arrival and also after he was born.

1. Books: a few months before I was due I had found a book called "I'm a Big Sister" by Joanna Cole. It was fantastic! Great for her age level and really focuses on the good things about being older and helping with baby. My daughter loved it. There is a boy version too.

2. Baby doll- she could change/feed/burp baby when I changed/fed/burped the real baby. Not sure if a boy would be as interested but it could be a teddy, etc.

3. Box of stickers, books, toys, etc that she could play with when I was busy nursing Owen. They were things she only got to do when we were in Owen's room so they were special and held her attention.

4. When we were changing him etc. we would get her involved and let her make choices like the color diaper, which pjs, socks, onesie, etc. She loved this!

We had a bit of jealousy after Owen was born- whenever my husband did anything with Owen it would set Chloe off into a fit. We started using a sticker reward chart to reward her for when she was patient and calm when Daddy was with Owen- then after 5 stickers she got to go swimming with Daddy. We pretty much made sure she got the 5 stickers within a day or 2 because she was only 22 months and rewards needed to appear pretty quickly to work. After just 1 reward (swim) she was fine.

Hope this gives you a few ideas.
JKTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:42 AM   #14
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, mamas, for the ideas and reassurance. I hope that ours will be an "easy" transition, too.

I think I worry about it more since I remember MY little sis coming along and being upset about the changes, but I was also quite a bit older - 3 and a half - so there is probably a big difference there in expectations and routines.

Of course, now I love my sister and couldn't imagine not having her around, but it took me a long time to adjust - back then!
aept is offline   Reply With Quote