Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2008, 01:37 AM   #1
Amalthya83
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
VBAC's with Multiple Cesereans

Alrighty, I'm not preggo...but I'm curious about a few things for future reference when it comes time to ttc our next baby. Personally, I've had three ceseareans. The last one, my OB stated that my uterus was "paper thin". I wanted like crazy to attempt a vbac, but going into labor prematurely prevented that. Now my question is this, has anyone heard of or maybe even personally had a successful VBAC after multiple cesereans? Is it even possible? I've always wanted to have a water birth or home birth or maybe even both, but I don't see that being possible in my future. I don't plan to ttc for a while yet, of course, but in the meantime, I'm doing my research well ahead of time, so when the time comes, I can make an informed decision about how I intend on bringing the baby into the world. The research I have done so far has led me to realize that yes, I can have a future pregnancy with minimal risk factors, considering I had a low traverse incision with my cesereans and even in the case of a uterine rupture, chances of hemmorage are rather low. And if monitored correctly, and I take care of myself, chances of that are low to begin with. I'm just curious as to how many other women out there have been in situations similar to this and what they may have learned or found out. Thanks mamas

Advertisement

Nathan- 09/03, Trista- 09/05, Layla- 12/07
ISO- ANY Girly or GN Rumparooz and Hemp Babies Doublers!!!!
Amalthya83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:31 AM   #2
sarahohm
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: VBAC's with Multiple Cesereans

Hi Mama,
I am a Nurse-Midwife.
After having uterine surgery 3 times, you will not find a hospital or birth center run by Nurse-Midwifes that will support a desire to do a VBAC. ACOG supports a VBAC after one cesarean when done in a facility equipped to handle monitoring and emergency CD. They do not support VBAC after multiple CDs.
You may find a lay-midwife willing to do it home birth, but I honestly would not recommend it.
I completely empathize with your desire to have a vaginal birth experience, but the risks to you and babe would honeslty outweigh the benefits (in my optinion-for what its worth). I am not sure where you read that a uterine rupture does not come with a significant risk of hemorrhage....because that is honeslty wrong. A uterine rupture is a medically emergency with a substantial risk to both Mom and baby. They often result in a hysterectomy and, if you are not in an operating room quickly, can result in death/damage to baby.
I really am not trying to come off as alarmist, I just want to offer my experience. Although the vaginal birth experience is priceless and the desire for such should be honored in most circumstances, the safety of you and babe should be the utmost concern.
Again, this is just my professional experience and professional/personal opintion. Good luck with your research.
S.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:56 AM   #3
mommymilk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think that you will find anywhere that will do a VBAC, just like PP said.

That being said, I can completely empathize with wanting to have your dream birth. While I have not had a CS, I cannot have a home birth, or even a "natural" birth so to say. My current pregnancy, in the beginning I was going to fight tooth and nail to have an unmedicated water birth in a hospital. After having time to think about it, by myself, with no one else giving me input, I made the realization that doing that would not be safe, and although having a natural childbirth experience has been lost, having a nice healthy baby has not. Myself being healthy (I have chronic hypertension...a leftover from 2 previous pre-eclamptic pregnancies! as well as muscular dystrophy) as well as giving birth whatever way to a healthy baby that I can take home is key. It has taken me a little while, but I am okay with it now. I actually feel really good about it.

I hope that you can, when you find yourself pregnant again, feeling good about your birth, no matter how that baby comes out. Take the liberties that you can, such as not having the baby messed with until AFTER you get to spend sometime with him/her, and such. You can have that. Baby does not need to have any injections or eye goop in the first few hours...we have actually opted out of any injections. In recovery, baby can be put, naked, on your chest, and breastfeed right away, you can room in, cd, whatever you want. Take total control of the things you can, and realize that whatever the birth, you still have that wonderful healthy baby to hold!
mommymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:06 AM   #4
House of Blue
Registered Users
seller

I'm one of those people who would have LOVED to have a vaginal birth but just couldn't because of the state of my uterus.

My 1st was a crash section. I had barely gone into labor when things turned into an emergency and I was put unconscious for a section. I'd had a couple minor surgeries after that section and when I became pg w/ twins I couldn't find a soul (OB or MW) who would attend a VBAC with me. They said w/ past scarring and things being so stretched out it was just downright dangerous. And trust me I talked to many many OB's and MW's. With my 4th little guy I just accepted the section and it was my best birth by far. I had it a couple days before my EDD, i was prepared for it, pain management was fantastic, I was feeling great really really quickly.

If you have to have another section, just remember that birth comes in many forms and not one of them is generically ideal. We are all individuals and all of us and our babies have very unique needs on birth day. It is possible to find the beauty and bonding in birth even if it is a c-section.
House of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:47 AM   #5
Amalthya83
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I actually read that the risk of rupture is a lot lower with a low traverse incision than a classic ceserean incision (the vertical), and that most uterine ruptures that do happen, with the type of incision I have, are minor and can be caught very quickly.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:52 AM   #6
Amalthya83
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

See, what bothers me the most about another ceserean is not the type of birth it is. What bothers me is that they have attempted the epidural with anesthetic twice and failed both times, resulting in general anesthetic and me not being awake for the actual delivery. I definitely don't want to try the epidural again, because when I did, I felt EVERYTHING and they ended up having to put me to sleep. Was really scary. If it comes to it and the time comes and I do have to have another ceserean, I just hope I can actually plan it this time

Old 03-20-2008, 11:00 AM   #7
sarahohm
Registered Users

My Mood:

Requesting a consultation with Anesthesiology in your third trimester would be a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthya83 View Post
See, what bothers me the most about another ceserean is not the type of birth it is. What bothers me is that they have attempted the epidural with anesthetic twice and failed both times, resulting in general anesthetic and me not being awake for the actual delivery. I definitely don't want to try the epidural again, because when I did, I felt EVERYTHING and they ended up having to put me to sleep. Was really scary. If it comes to it and the time comes and I do have to have another ceserean, I just hope I can actually plan it this time
Old 03-20-2008, 04:44 PM   #8
Amalthya83
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's a good idea. When my OB said that it wasn't the best idea to think about having anymore babies in the future, it kind of, well not kind of, it DID hurt like heck. But since then I've been doing some research and talking to my OB and I've learned that I CAN try for another one in the future...I just need to give it some time (which I would have anyways). So now, I'm getting a good head start on studying up on a bunch of different things so when next time does come around, no matter when that is, I'll be more informed than last time. Docs in my area really don't give you much to work with as far as information, it's pretty much do or don't with them. I should have a degree in googling by now