Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2008, 09:51 AM   #1
Knittinkninja
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
another question...

My son is a great sleeper :hides:. He takes hour+ long naps and only wakes up once during his 12-hour nighttime sleep-a-thons. But lately he's been extremely upset when we put him in his crib to go to sleep at night. We put him down at the same time every night, but the last few nights he just screams. So one of us ends up taking him out, and letting him fall asleep on our chest. Last night when I tried, it did not work, but thankfully it worked when DH tried. I feel so bad for my little guy. He's always fussed a little bit when we put him down, but never for more than a few minutes, and if he started to really cry, we'd go calm him before trying again, but lately there's no calming him.

I think he *might* be teething, but I don't know. He doesn't have the raised bumps yet, but it looks like there are outlines on his gums. Could that be it? Why would it only be a huge issue at night though? He's still going down for naps well, and goes right back to sleep after his nighttime feeding...

I'm so confused and could use some advise. Can you tell I'm a first-time mama?

Advertisement

Old 03-20-2008, 09:59 AM   #2
jausten
Registered Users
seller

Re: another question...

It could be teething, it could be him becoming more aware of his surroundings, it could be separation anxiety. We've experienced all of these things, and the only thing I can tell you is that this too shall pass.

Teething is definitely more worse at night for her - not sure why, but it never bothers her during the day, but nighttime is miserable.

Sending tons of for a quick transition.
expecting #2 sept 2010
jausten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:10 AM   #3
Knittinkninja
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mama. You're helping me all over the place today.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't remember how to put it scientifically <g>, but people are more aware of pain at night. So it could be teething. From the fact that he's mad when you put him down, though, I'm guessing it's that he's just getting the idea that, hey, I'm about to miss out on 12 hours of fun!

He might also be needing to go to bed a bit earlier...? When is he starting to show signs of tiredness? It seems odd that children might need more sleep as they get older, but if they're doing more, they might.

I really like the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child." We referred to it over and over (it's organized by age and temperament). My ped actually just calls it "The Sleep Book." It's a little more pro-total-CIO than I could handle, but it has a lot of other info too.

GL, mama!
Old 03-20-2008, 10:21 AM   #5
Knittinkninja
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Starr View Post
I don't remember how to put it scientifically <g>, but people are more aware of pain at night. So it could be teething. From the fact that he's mad when you put him down, though, I'm guessing it's that he's just getting the idea that, hey, I'm about to miss out on 12 hours of fun!

He might also be needing to go to bed a bit earlier...? When is he starting to show signs of tiredness? It seems odd that children might need more sleep as they get older, but if they're doing more, they might.

I really like the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child." We referred to it over and over (it's organized by age and temperament). My ped actually just calls it "The Sleep Book." It's a little more pro-total-CIO than I could handle, but it has a lot of other info too.

GL, mama!
I've got that book! It's what's helped us so far.

We've been putting him down around 7 pm, because that's when he starts to get tired. A few times he's seemed tired before that and I've tried putting him down then, but he will not have it. 7 had been like some sort of magic time until the last few nights. In the past, I've found that if I put him down too early he'll actually take longer to go to sleep because he'll work himself up in protestation. But I know the last few nights he was sufficiently tired because he was rubbing his eyes, moving his head back and forth and doing his other sleepytime "rituals," all while screaming and crying.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:45 PM   #6
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittinknija View Post
I've got that book! It's what's helped us so far.

We've been putting him down around 7 pm, because that's when he starts to get tired. A few times he's seemed tired before that and I've tried putting him down then, but he will not have it. 7 had been like some sort of magic time until the last few nights. In the past, I've found that if I put him down too early he'll actually take longer to go to sleep because he'll work himself up in protestation. But I know the last few nights he was sufficiently tired because he was rubbing his eyes, moving his head back and forth and doing his other sleepytime "rituals," all while screaming and crying.
Hmmm... Yeah, I'm thinking that's a tired baby, and I'd push for the earlier bedtime for a while. Wish I had more help to offer. GL, mama!