Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-28-2008, 10:13 PM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: I need help helping someone UPDATE

I think it is so great that such a young mama wants to BF so badly!
Hows it going? Another update?

Visit MY BLOG about my life after the Cesarean.
The grass may be greener on the other side of the fence, but you still have to mow it.
ISO: med thirsties covers and any good pockets

Last edited by wanting3more; 03-28-2008 at 10:14 PM.
wanting3more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:17 PM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:

Fenugreek and Mother's milk tea. Lots of water and rest. Give her hugs for us!
Mommi3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:36 PM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

Wow, you are doing such a great service to this young mother. I applaued you. And as for the mother, wow how strong is she, not only is she young and has a baby but also is breastfeed.

I would call the CLC, and like other posters have said explain her circumstances. But also just remind this mother that it takes patience. Since her baby is a preemie, he will have different needs and challenges. Things will be slow to start, teaching him to use a real nipple instead of an artificial one.

Also a good thing, is to perhaps give him some of the bottle first, so he isn't so hungry, just enough to curb his appetite, so he isn't so frustrated and hungry and then offer the breast.

And offer the breast when he isn't hungry and wide awake, so he isn't battling the he wants food now. Offer the breast also when he is dozing off to sleep, he 'll be more unaware of what is going on and more likely to take the breast.

Things will be slow going at first, but he'll get the hang of it, and so will mom.

Just remind her that she is an awesome mother, praise praise praise on her part, and remind her that even though breastfeeding is natural it doesn't always come naturally and they both need to learn this new skill. Tell her that things will get easier, you promise.

You are such a great friend to her.
BF, Cosleeping, CD, kinda mama!Loving my baby boy Shane 10/04!
Devon Born 3/18/07 :
Engaged to my love, Brian!
Doula and CBE In Training (CBI)
Priscella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 01:14 PM   #14
Registered Users
My Mood:

I can't add anything that hasn't already been said, but just wanted to thank you for taking the time to help this mom! That's really awesome.
8 years with my Hubby. Finally a SAHM to 5 yo DS and 22 month old DD and brand new DD
MamaEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:41 PM   #15
Registered Users
My Mood:

just wanted to say how awesome that you are helping her and major kudos for her for trying so hard..i def. didn't know anything about it when I had my dd and I ended up quiting after one night in the hospital because the nurse "helped" me by giving me a nipple off of a bottle and told me it was shield so she could latch because my nips were messed up so give her huge from me!
*i will answer PMs ASAP, we've been down with the stomach hug and some family emergencies! Thanks for understanding!*
Melissa..proud Army wife to my hero Seth ,SAHM to C 05-18-2005and E 10-11-07
melissab1011 is offline   Reply With Quote