Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2008, 10:14 PM   #1
sblakeley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Exclamation SERIOUS SUPPLY PROBLEM NEED HELP!!!

just a little background to fill y'all in. my dd was born in august, premie so i pumped like a cra$y person and filled out free$er (using $ in place of last alphabet letter dd drooled and ruined that key lol). i knew i would be begining chemo in three short weeks and wanted her to have as much milk as possible. at this point she never went to the breast we had enough problem getting her to eat and had to monitor intake at all times. so i stopped bf completely thru chemo.

after it was over i wanted to go back and went through the long process of relactation at the beginning of december. i managed to produce a decent but not full supply, we supplemented with a bottle or two per day. and as soon as i had milk she took the breast without a problem.

fast forward to this past week, my supply has almost completely disappeared. i'm very flustered since i worked so hard to have it. i started on the mothers milk tea and fenugreek (both of which used during intial relactation). i talked to my lactation consultant and she said i should try a round of reglan (sp?). but after all the chemo i'm a little resistant to putting chemicals in my body to put it mildly.

so i found this herbal online called shatavari which is supposed to be the natural alternative to reglan. has anyone tried this? should i give in and do the reglan? what other things can i do other than pump every three hours like a mad woman?

other side notes to add for suggestion purpose... i have a port in the top of my left breast (which was placed the day of delivery... long story)... i also have a scar which comes about an inch into the left breast from the side from a previous surgery.

Ugg... please help and if ya need more info let me know... i'm an open book kind of gal.

thanks!!

Advertisement

Old 03-20-2008, 10:33 PM   #2
oddduck
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: SERIOUS SUPPLY PROBLEM NEED HELP!!!

Oh wow mama, no real suggestions
I'm so sorry you're going through this.

I've never had any severe issues with supply though my LO still nurses every 2 hours in the day time and every 4 hours a night. I know a few mama's that have taken Domperidone with success, but it's not widely available in the states.

After reading over some of the side effects of Reglan I can understand why you would be hesitant to use it.

Best of luck mama, do what you thinks best for your little one and yourself. Don't stress yourself too much
Old 03-20-2008, 10:42 PM   #3
vickieboggs
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I'd go on fenugreek and blessed thistle, eat oatmeal and pump/feed like crazy.

good luck!

Lots of WOOLIES for sale, knit, crochet, shorties and longies
vickieboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:57 PM   #4
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I second the oatmeal, if I eat a bowl every day it gives my milk a super boost.

Other then that, brewers yeast tablets, or a dark beer once a day? (the yeast in beer can boost supply, and one beer isn't enough to go through the milk)
Old 03-21-2008, 01:31 AM   #5
snugglesnsunshine
Registered Users
Formerly: lovinmomma24
seller

My Mood:

If you can stand to nurse or pump every 2 hrs. for 24 hrs., that should help more than anything. I use fenugreek, brewer's yeast, and a NAP when my milk supply seems low. You will be surprised at how much getting more rest will help.
I applaud you for going through so much and still focusing on your daughter and what you think is best for her. She's got an awesome mother.
Take care of yourself and Good luck!
Old 03-21-2008, 01:50 AM   #6
Sammy'smom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can't stand the oatmeal, but I second the beer.
I drink one a week.
I hope you get a nice milk supply soon.

We stock at:http://hyenacart.com/CreativeMamas/
Sammy'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:01 AM   #7
misty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i take milk thistle. i have done it with both dd's. it is a natural milk booster. when i'm feeling my milk supply lessen, i take extra. there are mixed reviews on it. you can google it or ask your dr. or a nutritionist. this website has some good advice for breastfeeding. go to the ask shonda and then click on pregnancy/breastfeeding archives. you have to go down quite a ways for the bf ?s. http://www.naturallyhealthy.org/ . hth! good luck to you mama! oh, and lots and lots of water!
serving my #1-Jesus Christ; helper, lover, friend to eric and blessed to be a sahm (though working 24/7) to ella gracie (03/05/03) and abigail ann (02/04/07) and levi david (8/16/10).

Last edited by misty; 03-21-2008 at 02:16 AM.
misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:35 AM   #8
SubliminalDarkness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not personally familiar with it, but I know there's info about shatavari on www.bfar.org. It's a site for breastfeeding after reduction, but the info would be applicable to anyone. I think it's in the forum, you'd probably have to register to view it.

But mama, hats off to you no matter what happens. You rock!
SubliminalDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:38 AM   #9
normajean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just wanted to add (((((HUGS))))). You are my hero!
Old 03-21-2008, 07:49 AM   #10
shannong
Registered Users
seller

I have no first hand experience with chemo, but I HAVE been battling low supply with both of my boys. I am not quite sure how chemo factors into this.

First of all, HUGE HUGS mama!!! you are AWESOME and have come so far already!!

I have taken reglan for almost 1 year with my 1st son. It DID increase my supply. I took it along with more milk plus from mother love and Lactuca verorsia. As well as pumping after EVERY feeding with a hospital grade pump for 4 months. It DID help my supply, but honestly I didn't like the reglan. I didn't really notice any of the well known side effects like depression, or jitters, but I just didn't like how I felt on it. I didn't even really notice much of a change till I was off of it for a month or so. It made me VERY sleepy.

I have heard of Shavarti, but have never used it myself.

What about Domeperadone? It is MUCH safer with less SE than reglan. you will most likely have to get it on the internet, but it is not a big deal. Unless you live in Canada, the contact DR. Jack Newman. You may want to contact him anyway, he has been a big help to me. a wealth of knowledge. I was about to start Domperadone with my second son for supply issues and then I found out I was PG with #3.

I also wanted to let you know about a yahoo group that I have found VERY helpful. It is called MOBI. The women their are full of great ideas and have faced MANY struggles Breast feeding. There is also alot of info on shavarti there

Shannon
shannong is offline   Reply With Quote