Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2008, 10:21 AM   #21
LittleB'sMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Operation Baby Weight: Hired a Personal Trainer at the Gym ~ Updated 06/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanna19 View Post
Thank you!! A personal trainer was the best money I ever spent honestly. And I do know how to work out however, it's the idea that she is there. at the gym. waiting for you. I hate being late or standing someone up, so I go. Yes, I love love love my trainer, she is super cool and pushes me to the limits. And yes, sometimes I do call her mean names sometimes, but it's all in fun.

I am trying to think of a way to afford some more sessions at the moment, I just think they are so invaluable. I can't imagine going on my own now, it's a little scary. Any advice?
Where do you live? How often were you meeting? Does your trainer work for the gym or through the gym? Did you pay her directly or pay the gym? I ask this cause when i worked for a gym, I wasn't able to negotiate price, or offer anything other than what the gym offers, however when I worked for myself, through a gym, I was able to offer pretty much any service I could come up with to my clients, as I just paid the gym a monthly rent.

For Example, 1 thing that I was able to offer was a program contract. When my client and I feel for whatever reasons that we cannot meet as frequently any more (money issues, doing fantastic and not needing to meet as often, vacation plans ect), we decide that we will meet every month of 1-2 sessions depending on how I change the program. This way, they are still accountable to me as I can tell if they do their "homework", we do their monthly measurements and we go through a new program to get them through the month. The rate I charge for this is about the cost of 2 sessions. We would semi-preplan the days a few months in advance so the client would still feel the commitment. Some would prepay for the next month again for commitment.
It worked out for most of my clients. Either they found other ways (cut costs in daily life) to afford to meet me again more frequently because they couldn't go at it alone, or they learned to excel. They still bought the programs like I said for accountablility and for whatever other reason needed. 1 client of mine started going to the gym at 5am, which I couldn't do with a newborn, but we met 1 evening a month, to do measurements and run through the program. Back in March, she pulled a hamstring in Spin class, she called and let me know and I was able to make the adjustments to her program, so she didn't miss any time at the gym.
If she works for the gym, she may not be able to do this. She may however be willing to do it on the side?

Advertisement

Old 06-24-2008, 12:12 PM   #22
joanna19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I live in BC, Canada. We are meeting three times a week. I don't think she works for the gym, but I am not sure. She has another job too elsewhere, not doing training tho. I am not sure how she does it, but I do know that here is a pamphet put out by the gym that includes prices determined by how many sessions you want. I picked 12 and then I picked 24 when that was over. We get a fat test and measurements every month included in that and a plan (I'm doing the 8 week bootcamp - which i just started over again, but with more weight now)

I know that if I miss a session, we just make it up at the end. I also was going at 4:30 in the morning, but now I go at 4 in the afternoon and put dd in the daycare there. She is pretty flexible with times, and I do know that when i was going in the am, she was pretty well the only trainer without kids and hence could manage it.

I'm pretty sure tho that she would not be able to do anything on the side although I can ask I guess. I'm not sure how much of it she would have to write down for the gym so they can keep track. I am curious now.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:22 PM   #23
LittleB'sMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Where in BC? I just moved from Fort St John back to Alberta. Can I ask what gym it is?
Old 06-24-2008, 12:27 PM   #24
joanna19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I live on Vancouver Island, are you familiar with that?
Old 06-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #25
LittleB'sMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Somewhat familiar....victoria, naniamo (sp)

Is the gym a franchise and you pay them for your fees (membership and trainer) or is it private so you pay them for a membership and your trainer herself for her fees?
Old 06-24-2008, 12:41 PM   #26
joanna19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I pay the gym directly...she membership is included in that membership, well it was for me anyways, I don't know if that is a reg. thing, but i think they do it for the incentive. They are making more $ with the training I am assuming than with the membership, which is minimal.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:50 PM   #27
edens_mom
Registered Users
seller

Old 06-24-2008, 12:55 PM   #28
joanna19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edens_mom View Post
hey mama, I noticed your siggy!! way to go with the weightloss!
Old 06-24-2008, 12:57 PM   #29
LittleB'sMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanna19 View Post
I pay the gym directly...she membership is included in that membership, well it was for me anyways, I don't know if that is a reg. thing, but i think they do it for the incentive. They are making more $ with the training I am assuming than with the membership, which is minimal.
She probably works for the gym then and wouldn't be able to offer much else. Could you buy 12 sessions and use 1 per month? or do they say the sessions have to be used in a specific time frame?
Old 06-24-2008, 01:15 PM   #30
joanna19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

she suggested that also and I am thinking about it seriously.