Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-30-2008, 10:34 PM   #21
Mamas2Hands
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: bf'ing and biting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaci View Post
DS just cut his second tooth (first at four months, second at five months), both are in the front on the bottom. I'm worried about biting, particularly with him being so young and possibly not being able to put the no bite, no food thing together. Anyone have babies cut teeth really early?
Babies are REALLY smart when it comes to food. And if he hasn't bitten yet, don't worry too much. Teeth don't always equal biting at the breast.

Bottom teeth aren't too much the worry if you work with his latch. That little tongue should be covering them when he is working on dinner. I always had good latches from my boys when they were that little, biting usually became more an issue when they got about 8-9 months old.

They also had really strong suction, so if you need to take the little "nipper" off quickly it usually works best to slip you finger into the back part of thier mouth to break the suction. Like popping a little cork. Just try to stay calm and be consistent. Baby will figure it out very quickly.

HTH

Advertisement

Mamas2Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:52 AM   #22
Adi'sMum-mum
Registered Users

I was just going to post the same thing- dd is almost 6 months and has recently gotten her first bottom tooth. She has always been a bit of a gummer and I have consistently taken her off the breast when she has done this- with difficulty mind you- when she clamps she clamps with power! Since this new tooth popped up 5 days ago she has bitten me numerous times. My nipples are soooo SORE! I am overly cautious with anticipation each time she nurses in fear that she will bit again- not enjoying nursing anymore- very stressful. My son was a biter as well and I quit nursing him at 7 months as he had 5 teeth and pumped till 11 months. I don't want to have to go back to pumping I hate it!

The smushing doesn't work for my dd- she just bites down harder... I have noticed she bites near the end of a feed so maybe if i cut her off before she is done this may help, its hard though as she likes to snack...
Old 03-31-2008, 01:25 PM   #23
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsmama View Post
Mamas, I am so saddened to hear about mamas flicking, pinching, popping, smacking, leaving lo's to cry, etc. their babies to remedy the biting. I know it is frustrating/painful....but to discipline an infant who hasn't quite made the connection between cause and effect, imo seems cruel. But then, I am not a believer in physical discipline anyway, so my opinion may be skewed. As another posters stated, babies don't bite to be cruel/hurtful, and most times aren't even aware. I nursed until ds was 14 months, CLW...and we worked through the biting....I just removed him from the breast when he bit, and was very consistent with that. It solved the problem very quickly. I am not saying this will work for other mamas, but I just hope that everyone would try methods that do not involve inflicting pain or physical consequences on their child. I know how difficult it can be....wishing you gentle, quick resolutions.
they are just babies for pete's sake!
Old 03-31-2008, 10:29 PM   #24
Jaci
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamas2Hands View Post
Babies are REALLY smart when it comes to food. And if he hasn't bitten yet, don't worry too much. Teeth don't always equal biting at the breast.

Bottom teeth aren't too much the worry if you work with his latch. That little tongue should be covering them when he is working on dinner. I always had good latches from my boys when they were that little, biting usually became more an issue when they got about 8-9 months old.

They also had really strong suction, so if you need to take the little "nipper" off quickly it usually works best to slip you finger into the back part of thier mouth to break the suction. Like popping a little cork. Just try to stay calm and be consistent. Baby will figure it out very quickly.

HTH
Thanks! Sadly, we have had latch issues ever since the beginning (when they first gave him a green soothie in the hospital...lets just say I wasn't happy), so I'm not sure his tongue is always up over the gums where it is supposed to be. So far so good though, thankfully.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:41 PM   #25
amyandelle
Registered Users

When Meadow bites me I pretend to cry and it makes her cry so she stops
amyandelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #26
rmz1217
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have been through this three times, and I tend to a agree with those whose who yell (in pain) and startle the baby (that worked with my son), but with my daughters it seemed to be more effective to accept the bite as a signal they were done, and remove them from the breast.
rmz1217 is offline   Reply With Quote