Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-03-2006, 11:56 PM   #21
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you like this name?

I knew another family that had a Faustina! They picked it after a saint or something, I think. I could be wrong, but it had a lot of meaning somehow. The name itself is not my style at all.

Gianna is rather gorgeous though!

Advertisement

Old 09-04-2006, 06:39 AM   #22
SugarBunsWool&More
Formerly: RileysMama
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmvanhoof
mommyish----yes, we are Catholic and that is where the name came from St. Faustina. We aren't opposed to a non-saintly name, but if we find one we like we would like to use it. We are also toying with the name Gianna Nicole or Gianna Katheryn (Katheryn with an 'e' because it is my best friends name). This name is also a saint name. The only problem is that it is quickly becoming popular among Catholic families and we don't want her to have a really common name. My son's name is William---guess that is common, but I don't want our daughter to share her name with 2 or 3 others in her class when she is older, KWIM? Oh, and for those of you who don't know how to pronounce our other name choice it sounds like (Jeee--auna). Sorry---don't know how to really show it. It doesn't sound like Jeee-anna with a short a. The a is more like an "aw". Any thoughts on this one? Thank you for everyone's honesty about Faustina---not that we will listen :-), but I like to know what people really think. Thanks again.
I really like Gianna. Faustina isn't awful, but I like Gianna Katheryn better. GL with whatever you choose!!
SugarBunsWool&More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:35 AM   #23
8blessings
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hey Heather,
I read thru this post, thought about my opinion, then went on, I couldnt stop thinknig about it tho, so I am here again to post. lol!
A name is a very important thing. People do not realize the importance of it. Being able to mname someone is a priviledge and a task to be taken with great responsibility. I think.... again... my all of this is just my opinion.... you should consider your dh's point of view and even the g-parents point of view on the name. If the name Faustina is very important to you and your dh, and/or ext. family's lives, then make it known; make or buy a large poster with info about St. Faustina, buy books about St. Faustina, and teach the family the rich morals, values and lessons that this Saint is known for. Then, maybe everyone will come to love the name, and respect it for what it is, and naming your child after St. Faustina will be an honorable thing which will bring much respect and remembrance for the Saint,kwim? Most mamas pick names based on the cute factor #1, and dont really think about the meaning or the story behind the name. (I personally have done this w/ a couple of my kids, lol). If you or dh want to name your child after a Saint, go ahead and do it, and do it w/ respect and honor, and let everyone know the reason behind the name and why it is so important to. I am sure you will get the respect you deserve if you do that. I also like the name Gianna vs. Faustina- just judging by cute sound alone- I know nothing about either one of the Saints. I just wanted to share my .02 worth! I have had a *little* experience naming babies,lol. Hoepfuly, naming your baby will be a loving memory that you share with your dh and maybe even w/ Il's. My mom gave my 8th child his middle name (Stone). :-)
Old 09-04-2006, 08:01 AM   #24
Zan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My thoughts are similar. I believe a name is very important since it becomes so personal, your identity.

I'm not a huge fan of Faustina, but after reading about your reasons I think it would be a good name to choose. I always like to hear when someone can tell me the signifance or story behind their name...it's a character identity thing.

I'd also like to say that when it comes to naming a child, it is important to think about the possibilites of what others will 'do' to the name. Does misspelling, mispronoucing or worse name substituing (such as nicknames) bother you? If you have any ounce of concern that a particular name would have that effect and it WOULD bother you, than I'd move along to another choice. Yes, choosing a name is hard, it's an honor and it's not something that comes around everyday. Best wishes on your quest for the perfect name(s).

Oh, DH and I used this website for help in picking a name. We too, didn't want to have a popular name for our DD. You can look at popular names by birth year or do a popularity by year (to see how the popularity has changed over time), popularity by state and top 1000 by decade.

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/

Zan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:23 PM   #25
mommyish
Registered Users

I think a person creates an identity for his/her name, and not the other way around. When my sil's were pregnant I didn't really like the names they picked out for their kids, but after my neices and nephews were born I fell in love with the names because of the person they represented.

Also, my name is Desirae. My grandma hated my name when I was born...she called me Jacqueline instead for a few months. Then she got over it.
mommyish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:24 PM   #26
AngelMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love the name Gianna!! And I know how it is pronounced as I know a little girl with that name. Not a common name, but not unheard of, which helps for a child. I also love your boy's name!! Nathan Andrew just flows beautifully!

One thing to think about when choosing an uncommon name, it is difficult to find things with your child's name in/on them. My parents had no problem finding things with my name on them, or my sister Rachel's name, but my other sister (Carly) felt really left out. the name was uncommon when we were kids.

Don't let this change your decision, just keep it in mind!!
Old 09-06-2006, 10:13 AM   #27
A'smommy
Registered Users

I've also struggled with the "uncommon name" thing, even though I have a common name and gave my daughter the unusual one. It's rare that it's pronounced correctly (Annika: either Annnn-a-kah or Ahhhhn-i-ka is OK by me, but a-neee-ka drives me nuts! Her old pedi's office staff never could get it right...neither could the pedi for that matter.) But I didn't want her to be one of 5 in her kindergarten class. I figured if it got to be a big problem she could always go by "Annie" (which I call her a lot). I really wanted her to have a versatile name that she could style however she wanted.

Yes, I know Katrina means pure and I had a flute teacher named Katrina that I really admired when I was about 10. But living in Houston (where DD was born)...Katrina only means one thing and it's not good. Too many bad memories, for the survivors from MS/LA/AL and the ones that still live in Houston now. I didn't even want to name her Katy because the Katy Freeway is always jammed up with commuters and construction and everyone curses it ("I-10 West," "The Katy," etc.)

Since I'm not Catholic...who was St. Faustina?
Old 09-06-2006, 02:23 PM   #28
hfitz5051
Let the rabbits wear glasses!
seller

My Mood:

I don't care for it much either and I don't really like that spelling for Katherine. But it is more of an ethnic(Italian/Spanish) name so it may fit in very well with your family, I don't know much about you.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:48 PM   #29
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Fuastina is NMSAA! But Gianna is very cute! It gets my vote

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 02:57 PM   #30
lovemygirls
Registered Users
seller

I really like Gianna Katheryn. I like Kathryn spelt like that though!

Ginger
lovemygirls is offline   Reply With Quote