Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2008, 11:56 AM   #1
funkymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Stop pumping at work?

I'm not sure what to do here ...

DS will be a year old on Friday. I work pt 20-30 hrs/week, and still pump once during a 4-5 hr shift. I'm only getting about 2 oz, sometimes more, that he'll take in a sippy at the sitter's (though, some days she doesn't give it to him - he's very good with his solids).

I'm wondering if it's worth it to continue pumping. I feel like I should pump so I can keep supply up for those days we're home all day together and he nurses throughout the day. And, so he has at least a little during the day at the sitters.

I'm thinking about cutting the pumping, and he can take soy milk at the sitter's (I'm not crazy about giving cow's milk). But, would that mess with my supply if I stop pumping while at work - even if it is just once, and only 2-3 oz?

So, anyway ... I'm not sure what to do. Does this situation sound familiar? What would you do? This isn't a question about weaning, just a question of stopping pumping at work and how that will affect nursing on normal days at home.

Advertisement

Old 03-26-2008, 12:36 PM   #2
llmangan
Registered Users
seller

Re: Stop pumping at work?

I don't have much advice but thought I'd chime in to let you know you're not alone in struggling to make a decision on when to HUTHs! I'm a full time WOHM and I've been contemplating how long to keep going as well... My DS will be one next Tuesday... For now my plan is to keep up with the pumping. I actually enjoy the breaks during the day and it's become so routine that I don't mind the pumping now... I get about 10 oz or so which is still fairly good but no where near what I used to get... I've been pulling from the freezer for awhile to make up the difference between what I pump and what he needs during the day. I know I'll eventually have to introduce cow's milk as a supplement to what I pump once the stash is gone but I'm trying my best to put it off as long as possible. I came close to throwing in the towel about a month back... I'm fairly certain I had an early miscarriage and my supply decreased drastically. I could barely pump 5 oz a day and my DS started to push me away while nursing since I had so little... I somehow managed to get my supply back up through diligent pumping over a span of two - three weeks. I think it's great that you kept with the pumping when you were only getting 2 oz. Every little bit is good for your LO!
Old 03-27-2008, 11:51 AM   #3
funkymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OUr babes are only a few days apart. My due date was 4/1, actually.

It's ironic that you mention miscarriage. I had one at 5-6wks, just over a month ago. After that, for a week or so, I was pumping more. But, I'm getting back into my cycle again and that might be affecting my supply.

10 oz seems like the motherlode to me! I remember when that was normal for one session ... in the early "I'm so engorged" days.

I guess another option I haven't considered is trying to increase supply. I would like him to have more EBM for the sitters. Otherwise, he loves to nurse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmangan View Post
I don't have much advice but thought I'd chime in to let you know you're not alone in struggling to make a decision on when to HUTHs! I'm a full time WOHM and I've been contemplating how long to keep going as well... My DS will be one next Tuesday... For now my plan is to keep up with the pumping. I actually enjoy the breaks during the day and it's become so routine that I don't mind the pumping now... I get about 10 oz or so which is still fairly good but no where near what I used to get... I've been pulling from the freezer for awhile to make up the difference between what I pump and what he needs during the day. I know I'll eventually have to introduce cow's milk as a supplement to what I pump once the stash is gone but I'm trying my best to put it off as long as possible. I came close to throwing in the towel about a month back... I'm fairly certain I had an early miscarriage and my supply decreased drastically. I could barely pump 5 oz a day and my DS started to push me away while nursing since I had so little... I somehow managed to get my supply back up through diligent pumping over a span of two - three weeks. I think it's great that you kept with the pumping when you were only getting 2 oz. Every little bit is good for your LO!
Old 03-28-2008, 06:31 AM   #4
emilysvenson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You know, you could try it and see what happens. You might find you're uncomfortable if you don't pump. You might find your supply is affected and it's harder to nurse all day on the days you're home. You might find that you have no problems. I think you could try it for a few days and see, and then go back to pumping if you want.

My son is 17 months and has no interest in EBM any more (though he's still nursing plenty!). I work outside the home for 6 hours one day per week, and I've been pumping about 3 oz. while I'm away and giving the milk to a friend who has a younger baby.

Just curious: Why soy milk? Personally, I'd be more concerned about soy than dairy, but everyone has their own reasoning.

Congratulations on making it to a year!!!

mama to Isaac (4/04) and Flynn (10/06)
emilysvenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:47 AM   #5
HeavenlyHold
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Pumping takes its toll...I pumped 2-3 times a day at work for almost a year. I just finished a few months ago...none of my coworkers (who are all women) can believe I lasted so long! I'd say try to push yourself to keep doing it as long as possible. I know it can be rough (and boring!) though.

Amber, CWAHM to Kaelin (02-07) Kiley (07-09) and Kamryn (12-11)
Like us on Facebook
HeavenlyHold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:49 AM   #6
xois
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i'm coming up on ayear in may...and I'm still not sure what I'll do -- it's so tedious...

I pump 2x and get about 3oz each time - and once after she goes to bed to get another 3oz.

emerson is taking 3 3oz bottles at daycare...

so right now, i'm meeting her needs, but not able to store any...I have a very little bit stored...i pump on weekends too...wish I coudl get more out with the pump...I think i'd faint if I got 10! I've never been abel to get tha tmuch

I think the most I got was 7...but that was in the throse of oversupply...which presents its own challenges...
Old 03-28-2008, 08:53 PM   #7
Priscella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just a quick question, why doesn't your sitter not give him his EBM some days. Its great that his good with his solids, but what is he getting to drink, if not your EBM? Juice, water? I would have him drink his EBM if he will drink it from a sippy. Its still the best.

I started to wean myself from the pump once my son was 1. I started by loosing one pumping session every other day for about a week, then I dropped one session every single day for another week or so. Then I was down to only pumping twice at work.

Then I dropped the second session every other day for a week or so, and then dropped it completely for a week or so, and continued to do this. It took me about 2 months to completely wean myself from the pump.

I pumped three times a day. At morning break, lunch time and afternoon break. I started out with loosing my lunch time pumping session. I kept the morning one because morning was my session which I had the most output. Then when I lost that session, I lost my morning session, because by the time lunchtime session came I had the most output. If that makes any sense. I did it this way because I still wanted to bring home the most amount of milk I could without becoming engourged.

I did start my son on cows milk, but whatever you do it just fine as the principle is the same.

What ever I didn't bring home milk wise, say at first it was that one session which was about 3oz, I would just have the sitter mix 3oz cows milk in with my BM, (I didn't have her give him a whole sippy of cows milk), to get my son use to cows milk, the taste and so his digestive system didn't go crazy.

Like I mention before this didn't happen over night, it took me two months. I did it slow because I didn't want to become so engorged, and I wanted the transition for my baby to go smooth.

Of course though I still continued to nurse him when I came home in the evenings, and all weekend long, or if I was sick and had off a day, I just nursed him.
Doula and CBE In Training (CBI)

Last edited by Priscella; 03-28-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Priscella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:30 PM   #8
HeidiMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I work 12 hour shifts and have 17 month and 3 yo nurslings. I finally gave up that last pumping session because I am just so tired of it! I'm a little full by the morning but haven't really noticed a change in my milk supply. This is the longest I've pumped. I think I've always quit around the time my kids turned one but continued to nurse until they were 2 or 3. Good luck!
Old 03-29-2008, 11:30 AM   #9
millerbaby07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

First off giving him even a little breastmilk is a good thing BUT!! Soy milk is not good for boys!

SOY MILK TO INFANT
BIRTH CONTROL PILLS FOR BABIES

Babies fed soy-based formula have 13,000 to 22,000 times more estrogen compounds in their blood than babies fed milk-based formula.

Infants exclusively fed soy formula receive the estrogenic equivalent of at least five birth control pills per day.

Male infants undergo a “testosterone surge” during the first few months of life, when testosterone levels may be as high as those of an adult male. During this period, baby boys are programmed to express male characteristics after puberty, not only in the development of their sexual organs and other masculine physical traits, but also in setting patterns in the brain characteristic of male behavior.

Pediatricians are noticing greater numbers of boys whose physical maturation is delayed, or does not occur at all, including lack of development of the sexual organs. Learning disabilities, especially in male children, have reached epidemic proportions.

Soy infant feeding—which floods the bloodstream with female hormones that inhibit testosterone—cannot be ignored as a possible cause for these tragic developments. In animals, soy feeding indicates that phytoestrogens in soy are powerful endocrine disrupters.

Almost 15 percent of white girls and 50 percent of African-American girls show signs of puberty such as breast development and pubic hair, before the age of eight. Some girls are showing sexual development before the age of three. Premature development of girls has been linked to the use of soy formula and exposure to environmental estrogens such as PCBs and DDE.
I'm a a cloth diapern' breastfeeding, baby wearing waterbirthing mama to Jacob (12/29/07), Emma 12/2/09 & New baby Girl due mid July & loving wife to my navy vet. Johnathan (3/24/07) IHA: Core Values NB NIP ISO: Melon Splash OS
millerbaby07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:10 AM   #10
earthbabydiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm subbing! Ds is only 10 months, but I will be in the same position in a few months