Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-03-2006, 12:22 PM   #1
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How do you dry wool?

I posted a thread on here yesterday asking how to wash my wool cover. Well I washed it last night, and on the directions it said not to hang it or it would stretch, and just to lay it flat. So I layed it flat on a laundry basket, my thinking was that at least it would get some air flow because of the gaps in the basket. However, it doesn't seem like its gotten any dryer. In fact, I think its starting to smell like mildew! What should I do? I put it in front of the dehumidifier this morning, but it still kinda smells. Should I wash it again and line dry it? Should I let it spin dry in the washing machine after I wash it? I'm afraid all of these will stretch it out. Help!

Advertisement

tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 12:27 PM   #2
mom2t
Registered Users
seller

Re: How do you dry wool?

I do a big no no and dry mine in the sun. Not on a hot day, but in the sun. I turn them over after 2 hours and they dry quicker and I have had no problem. I first tried drying them without the sun and it took a full day.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:53 PM   #3
kkweight
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When you wash it and lanolize it roll it in a towel to get alot of the water out, you would be amazed at how much comes out.lol
then hang to dry. Really, i think the ony time you have to be worried about stretching it is when you havent got all of the moisture out and its going to weight it down. that will stretch it. But if you roll it and hang it youll be fine.
Mine are always ready to go within 12 hours or so.

HTH
kkweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 02:25 PM   #4
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkweight
When you wash it and lanolize it roll it in a towel to get alot of the water out, you would be amazed at how much comes out.lol
then hang to dry. Really, i think the ony time you have to be worried about stretching it is when you havent got all of the moisture out and its going to weight it down. that will stretch it. But if you roll it and hang it youll be fine.
Mine are always ready to go within 12 hours or so.

HTH

I do the same thing and clothesline dry when I can. You could also buy one of those wooden drying racks and put it in your bathroom. I do that in rainy/cold weather.
ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 03:03 PM   #5
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkweight
then hang to dry.
HTH

Oh yeah, duh. Someone told me to do that towel thing and I totally forgot! Thanks for reminding me. No wonder it wouldn't dry, it was totally soaked! Thanks for everyones tips though, hopefully everything will work out better tonight when I wash it again.
tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 03:04 PM   #6
Youngatheart
Registered Users
seller

I do things the easy way...After hand washing, spin them out in the washer and then hang to dry on a wooden clothes rack inside...they're always dry within 12 hours! We've used the same wool longies for nights now for several months with this routine and they still look and work great
Youngatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 03:07 PM   #7
sewingmama2005
Banned
seller

I spin the water out in my washer too....but I don't hang mine to dry, I put it *gasp* in the dryer :LOL (we have a neat drying rack for delicates and shoes and junk that fits in the dryer so it doesn't get tumbled around)
sewingmama2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 03:11 PM   #8
momtophr
Banned
seller

I do the towel trick to squeeze all the water out but then i lay mine flat to dry. I lay them on a cookie drying rack though so it dries faster because air is getting to all sides! works greaat
momtophr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 03:19 PM   #9
mama23boys
Banned
seller

i wash and ring out in a towel 2x then i hang it over the shower rod. i washed yesterday and my shorties are dyer but longies take longer. sometimes i even lay them in front of the fan
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 03:24 PM   #10
lararum
Banned

cookie drying rack is a great idea! I usually dry mine on our radiators(not in the winter). I have dried them outside in the sun, and they didn't shrink. My wool always takes a day or two to dry.
lararum is offline   Reply With Quote