|Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!|
||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
|04-17-2007, 05:12 PM||#41|
Re: Looking for new Vegetarian Recipes; Meat Eaters Welcome
I have one for Arabian Spinach and cheesy polenta casserole.
1 onion sliced
2 tablespoons olive or sunflower oil
2 garlic cloves crushed (I used 3)
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
14 ozs spinach washed and shredded
1 can (15 ozs) chickpeas drained
1 pat butter (I used 1 Tablespoon)
Fry onion in oil till soft, about 5 min. Add garlic and cumin and fry another
minute. Add spinach bit by bit stirring till it wilts. Stir in chick peas,
butter and salt/pepper. Reheat till just bubbling and serve hot.
I served this with A Taste Of India curry rice and pita bread.
Cheesy Polenta Casserole
* 1 teaspoon olive oil
* 1 green bell pepper, chopped
* 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
* 2 green onions, chopped
* 1 (14 ounce) jar marinara sauce
* 1/4 cup shredded fontina cheese
* 3/4 cup shredded provolone or mozzarella cheese
* 1 (16 ounce) tube ready-made polenta, cut into 1/4-inch slices
* 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly oil a 8x8-inch
casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in green pepper,
garlic, and green onions; cook until the pepper softens, about 3 minutes. Pour
in marinara sauce and simmer 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Mix together fontina and provolone in a bowl. Spread a thin layer of sauce
over the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Arrange 1/3 of the polenta slices
in the dish, top with 1/3 the fontina and provolone mixture. Spread a thin layer
of sauce over cheese. Repeat layers twice. Top casserole with Parmesan cheese.
4. Bake in preheated oven until cheese is bubbly and golden brown, about 25
My fave cookbook right now is The Complete Encyclopedia of Vegetables and
Vegetarian Cooking by Roz Denny and Christine Ingram...all the recipes I have
tried out of it have been great.
Mommy to Cooper Shain born 07/31/2006